E-Auction of Registration Number of Choice (Delhi): Process Explanation with Tips

Thread Starter #1
Please note this is for residents of Delhi only.

Important points are in bold.

Delhi residents have to now follow odd-even rule from time to time. I had both numbered car. Then the time came to buy a new car. I sold my odd numbered car and started looking for a new car. I could not finalise my new purchase and then second phase of odd even was introduced. So I was left with even number car and hence could only take out my car on even days. As soon as I finalised my second new car, I wanted to have an odd number.

I was informed that as per new regulations in Delhi, one cannot choose his/her car number. Earlier when we used to purchase our cars, dealer used to show us a list of numbers and we can choose any from the available numbers. So if anyone want a even number or odd number he/she could do so. New process do not allow you to do so. Now when your car will go for registration, system will randomly choose a car number for you. It can be odd or even depends upon your luck.

Fancy numbers were auctioned in past as well. But now if you want any number of your choice, you will have to follow the e-auction. The minimum reserve price is 20 k and 1k for registration. So you need to shell minimum 21k for a number of your choice (odd or even). You can say this is a new tax in Delhi to beat odd /even rule which do not even count as a tax.

I wanted to have an odd number so I followed this process and now I am sharing with you all to help people like me. I will also give some tips for auction which I learnt after following this process.

Link for the e-auction is:

https://parivahan.gov.in/DL_fancynumberbid/

This site will open only during the auction days (Mon to Fri). On weekends this site do not work. All the information is available on this site and do check user manual before following this process. However I will give some more details and tips here which might not be available on this site.

The following numbers have been designated as Registration marks of choice, and the corresponding Minimum Reserve Price is mentioned below. A Registration mark of choice will not be allotted at a price below the corresponding Minimum Reserve Price.

Category Registration Marks/numbers Minimum reserve price

1. 0001 Rupees Five Lacs.
  2. 0002 to 0009 Rupees Three Lacs.
  3. 0010 to 0099 , 0786, 1000, 1111,7777 & 9999 Rupees Two Lacs.
  4. 0100,0111,0200,0222,0300,0333,0400,0444,0500,0555,0600,0666,0700,0777,0800,0888,0900,0999,2000,2222,3000,3333,4000,4444,5000,5555,6000,6666,7000,8000,8888,9000,0101,0108,1008, & 1313 Rupees One Lacs.
  5. Any other registration mark, which is not mentioned in category No. 01 to 04 above and is sought by a person as a registration mark of choice and is allotted by the transport department by jumping the chronological order of numbers in a series of registration marks Rupees Twenty Thousand.

Step First : Registration.

For participation in the bidding/auction, the bidder will have to register himself/ herself on the website, and obtain his the Unique Acknowledgement Number (UAN). The registration fee for e-auction is Rs. 1000 to be paid online for all the categories. This amount is non refundable. Payment for registration can only be made by SBI credit/debit card or online transfer from a SBI account. No other bank card is accepted.

The registration window will be open for 3 days from the start of e-auction, and bidding will take place for the subsequent 2 days, from the date of publishing of the Registration mark of choice for auction on the online e-auction platform. This facility will be available on Gazetted holidays also. Timing for online registration and bidding are as under:

Bidding : After midnight (day 3) to 05:00 PM (day 5) **

** if there is any bidding going on in the last 5 minutes before the close of e-auction at 5:00 pm, then the time will be extended for those numbers only for 5 minutes duration. This process will continue if there is bidding going on for last 5 minutes up to 5:30 pm (i.e. max. 30 minutes after 5:00 pm).

The e-auction for category-5 registration mark of choice will taken place every Monday irrespective of any holiday. Further, the e-auction for category 1 to 4 registration mark of choice will take place on first Monday of every month along with category 5 vehicles.

The applicant has to deposit the reserve price of the number of his/her choice in the form of Demand Draft issued by the nationalized banks only, drawn in favour of “Commissioner of Transport, Government of NCT of Delhi”. The Demand draft will be deposited at Delhi Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation (DTIDC), 2nd Floor, ISBT, Kashmere Gate, Delhi-110006. If the bidder selects more than one Registration mark of choice for a particular vehicle, then he has to deposit the reserve price of the highest category of the number of his choice.

Registration of the bidder will be approved by the Transport Department (DTIDC), after receiving the required D/D, valid residential proof and acknowledgement slip on the same day as the date of receipt of the minimum reserve price (office timings being 10.30am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 3.30pm). Those bidders who have done the registration up to 12 midnight on day 3 of registration can submit their D/D on day 4 (If day 4 is gazette holiday then he can submit D/D on day 5 up to 12:00 noon) along with documents as mentioned above.

After making a successful online payment of Rs. 1000, you will get your UAN immediately by sms.

Once you have made the online registration fee of Rs. 1000, get the DD against the reserve price of the number of his/her choice and visit DTIDC office. I suggest you to keep the DD ready in advance as it is suggested to submit the DD on the same day of registration. I submitted a DD of Rs. 20000 as I wanted to bid for category 5 only.

Other document you need to submit is address proof of the person on whose name the car will be registered. Get this copy attested by the person and also carry the original in case someone else is submitting the documents on his/her behalf. There is an option of " fill draft details " on left hand side on the e-auction site. Enter this option by filling your UAN and fill the DD details there. After entering the DD details, take the print out of this. You need this print out as well to complete the registration process. Visit the DTIDC office with all these documents and submit there. You will get your username and password by sms after submitting these documents.

Step Two : Participate in Bidding

You have got your username and password now. After completion of the Registration process on 3rd day the bidding process will begin on the 4th day and continue on the 5th day. The timing for bidding will be from after midnight (day 3) up to 5.00 pm (day 5) subject to, if there is any bidding going on in the last 5 minutes before the close
of e-auction at 5:00 pm, then the time will be extended for those numbers only for 5 minutes duration. This process will continue if there is bidding going on for last 5 minutes up to 5:30 pm (i.e. max. 30minutes after 5:00 pm).

Tip :

Go to " select registration mark of choice ". You will see a list of available numbers. At the bottom there is an option to add your number of choice. Reserve price will reflect in front of the number. First view to this list will give an impression that you have to choose numbers from this list only. However these are the numbers which are currently available and also the numbers which already has been chosen by other bidders. A person can select a max of 10 numbers. If you choose a number which is shown in the list, it is almost sure that someone else has already selected this number. Thus there is high possibility that bidding will be done on this number. I selected 5 numbers which I liked from the list and added 5 numbers of my own. If the number is available it will be added on the list. Suppose you added 5 new numbers. The person who will chose after you, will now see the 5 numbers added by you as well and so on. Choose number wisely considering which number will attract more bidding. If you want to be safe and do not want to shell any more money, do not select numbers from the list at all. Add all the 10 numbers of your choice to the list. Its your choice and make best use of it.

While bidding, the bidder can change the amount of bid by multiples of Rs.10000/- only, for category 5 bid will be in multiple of Rs. 1000/-. You can see the highest bid amount on any number and accordingly change your bid. You will be allotted a number for which you have bid the maximum. All details of bidding is available on the site and go though it carefully. Do track bidding near the closing time i.e 5 p.m on day 5 as most bidding takes place near the closing.

Step Three : Getting Allotment Letter

You have successfully completed the bidding and a number has been allotted to you. You will receive the confirmatory sms for the same. Last formality is to get the allotment letter which you need to handover to the dealer to get this number allocated on your new car. The dealer will get your car registered after getting this letter. You need to visit DTIDC office again to get this letter on any working days. You are given 5 working days after completion of auction to get this letter. If you fail to get this letter in 5 days, the number will be cancelled and no amount will be refunded. Lets check the documents to complete the final process:

1. The successful bidders is required to deposit the balance amount in the form of Demand Draft within five working days from the date of declaration. The demand draft shall be issued by the nationalized banks only, drawn in favour of “Commissioner of Transport, Government of NCT of Delhi” and will be deposited at DTIDC, 2nd Floor, ISBT, Kashmere Gate, Delhi-110006. In case the successful bid is of an amount lower than the value of demand draft deposited by the bidder, then the successful bidder will be permitted to replace the demand draft. In such cases the successful bidder shall deposit the demand draft of the successful bid amount and only thereafter the
earlier draft deposited for the reserve price. The allotment letter of the registration mark of choice will be handed over to the successful bidder when he deposits the balance amount. The balance amount means the difference between the successful bid amount and the amount deposited earlier as reserve amount. The validity of allotment letter will be for a period of 90 days for Registration of the vehicle. The successful bidder shall apply for registration of vehicle within 90 days with the designated Zonal Transport Office.

2. You need acknowledgement slip which you received when you submitted the DD for registration. Take all the documents you received in return when you visited for registration.

3. Self attested copy of address proof of the person on whose name the number is allotted.

4. In case you are going to take the letter on someone else behalf, you need a confirmation letter signed from that person. Write a letter stating that the person has authorized you to take the allotment letter on his/her behalf. Get it signed from the person. Also you need a copy of valid id of yours signed by you. This information I could not find online but I am sharing with you all so that you get it done in one visit.

That's all guys these are documents you require. Take original documents as well for in case they want to see.

When I visited to take my allotment letter, I saw that mostly dealer people come to take the allotment letter. People from hyundai, audi, maruti etc were there. They have assigned a few people permanently for this purpose. Hardly any owner was there. These guys knows all these formality and come well prepared. I learnt from them and after reading you guys will also go well prepared like them. Owners like me had to visit more than once to get this simple process done. But I want you all to get it done in one go.

The registration fee and DD is vaild only for one auction. If you somehow fail to get your number of choice in the auction, you will get the DD against the reserve price returned from DTIDC. Registration fee is non refundable. However for next auction, you will have to register again and follow the same process again.

Other shocking thing I learnt there is that these dealers are cheating customers. All these dealer were charging extra from customers for this process. Hyundai guy was telling that our dealership asks customer 30k to get odd or even number. People happily give this money and then they follow this process and dealership earns 9k easily from one customer. I understand people do not have time still its an easy process and you will save money. I got it done in 2 visits only which are mandatory one for registration and other for allotment letter even if I was not fully aware of the process. I think after reading this anyone would complete this process easily and you can save your money. Most of the dealer and middle men were there and making huge money in this process. Hyundai guy admitted in front of me and I wonder how much Audi or other premium brand charge for getting VIP number or odd/even number from their customers.

Best of luck for your bidding.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: E-Auction of Registration Mark Of Choice (Delhi Only). Process Explanation with

Note: Thread now live. Thanks for sharing a detailed guide! [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: E-Auction of Registration Mark of Choice (Delhi Only): Process Explanation with

Prices are a bit too high in Delhi I guess. Here in Uttar Pradesh, one can any day have numbers like 1111, 2222, 3333 etc for 15k and other categories are even cheaper. Only number like 0001, 0786 etc are auctioned and that also goes to as high as 1 lac max, nothing like this 5 lac for 0001, 2 lac for 0786, 9999 etc and 1 lac for others

Heck.. 0099 which delhi RTO has kept the price of 2 lac as minimum bid is freely available for 7500 bucks at Meerut RTO and anyone can book it by visiting this site:
https://vahan.up.nic.in/UP_fancynumberbid/

Daylight robbery by Delhi Govt?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Re: E-Auction of Registration Mark of Choice (Delhi Only): Process Explanation with

Yes @ TSIVipul, prices are too high in Delhi. Its capital and so many people want fancy number. Here any V.I.P number will cost you a bomb. In some cases half the price of your car lol. I have seen number such as 0001 or 0007 going for 15-20 lakhs here. Too many bidders for these numbers here.

Earlier on the prices were cheaper in Delhi but not now. They have increased the charges. Another impact of odd/even. They knew that now people will go for second car and would ask for odd or even number on their second car. This is why the minimum has been increased to 20k which used to be 5k or even cheaper in the past. The number which I got for free on my old wagon R is now purchased by me by paying 22k.

This is tip of the iceberg. If this even /odd is followed on regular basis here, I am sure the demand for numbers will increase further and hence the price.

mine k10(Punjab register) have 7676 and it cost 10k in 2014

Re: E-Auction of Registration Number of Choice (Delhi): Process Explanation with Tip

the site mentioned never opens. be it weekday or weekend, morning, afternoon or night

Re: E-Auction of Registration Number of Choice (Delhi): Process Explanation with Tip

Please note this is for residents of Delhi only.

Important points are in bold.

Delhi residents have to now follow odd-even rule from time to time. I had both numbered car. Then the time came to buy a new car. I sold my odd numbered car and started looking for a new car. I could not finalise my new purchase and then second phase of odd even was introduced. So I was left with even number car and hence could only take out my car on even days. As soon as I finalised my second new car, I wanted to have an odd number.

I was informed that as per new regulations in Delhi, one cannot choose his/her car number. Earlier when we used to purchase our cars, dealer used to show us a list of numbers and we can choose any from the available numbers. So if anyone want a even number or odd number he/she could do so. New process do not allow you to do so. Now when your car will go for registration, system will randomly choose a car number for you. It can be odd or even depends upon your luck.

Fancy numbers were auctioned in past as well. But now if you want any number of your choice, you will have to follow the e-auction. The minimum reserve price is 20 k and 1k for registration. So you need to shell minimum 21k for a number of your choice (odd or even). You can say this is a new tax in Delhi to beat odd /even rule which do not even count as a tax.

I wanted to have an odd number so I followed this process and now I am sharing with you all to help people like me. I will also give some tips for auction which I learnt after following this process.

Link for the e-auction is:

https://parivahan.gov.in/DL_fancynumberbid/

This site will open only during the auction days (Mon to Fri). On weekends this site do not work. All the information is available on this site and do check user manual before following this process. However I will give some more details and tips here which might not be available on this site.

The following numbers have been designated as Registration marks of choice, and the corresponding Minimum Reserve Price is mentioned below. A Registration mark of choice will not be allotted at a price below the corresponding Minimum Reserve Price.

Category Registration Marks/numbers Minimum reserve price

1. 0001 Rupees Five Lacs.
  2. 0002 to 0009 Rupees Three Lacs.
  3. 0010 to 0099 , 0786, 1000, 1111,7777 & 9999 Rupees Two Lacs.
  4. 0100,0111,0200,0222,0300,0333,0400,0444,0500,0555,0600,0666,0700,0777,0800,0888,0900,0999,2000,2222,3000,3333,4000,4444,5000,5555,6000,6666,7000,8000,8888,9000,0101,0108,1008, & 1313 Rupees One Lacs.
  5. Any other registration mark, which is not mentioned in category No. 01 to 04 above and is sought by a person as a registration mark of choice and is allotted by the transport department by jumping the chronological order of numbers in a series of registration marks Rupees Twenty Thousand.

Step First : Registration.

For participation in the bidding/auction, the bidder will have to register himself/ herself on the website, and obtain his the Unique Acknowledgement Number (UAN). The registration fee for e-auction is Rs. 1000 to be paid online for all the categories. This amount is non refundable. Payment for registration can only be made by SBI credit/debit card or online transfer from a SBI account. No other bank card is accepted.

The registration window will be open for 3 days from the start of e-auction, and bidding will take place for the subsequent 2 days, from the date of publishing of the Registration mark of choice for auction on the online e-auction platform. This facility will be available on Gazetted holidays also. Timing for online registration and bidding are as under:

Bidding : After midnight (day 3) to 05:00 PM (day 5) **

** if there is any bidding going on in the last 5 minutes before the close of e-auction at 5:00 pm, then the time will be extended for those numbers only for 5 minutes duration. This process will continue if there is bidding going on for last 5 minutes up to 5:30 pm (i.e. max. 30 minutes after 5:00 pm).

The e-auction for category-5 registration mark of choice will taken place every Monday irrespective of any holiday. Further, the e-auction for category 1 to 4 registration mark of choice will take place on first Monday of every month along with category 5 vehicles.

The applicant has to deposit the reserve price of the number of his/her choice in the form of Demand Draft issued by the nationalized banks only, drawn in favour of “Commissioner of Transport, Government of NCT of Delhi”. The Demand draft will be deposited at Delhi Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation (DTIDC), 2nd Floor, ISBT, Kashmere Gate, Delhi-110006. If the bidder selects more than one Registration mark of choice for a particular vehicle, then he has to deposit the reserve price of the highest category of the number of his choice.

Registration of the bidder will be approved by the Transport Department (DTIDC), after receiving the required D/D, valid residential proof and acknowledgement slip on the same day as the date of receipt of the minimum reserve price (office timings being 10.30am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 3.30pm). Those bidders who have done the registration up to 12 midnight on day 3 of registration can submit their D/D on day 4 (If day 4 is gazette holiday then he can submit D/D on day 5 up to 12:00 noon) along with documents as mentioned above.

After making a successful online payment of Rs. 1000, you will get your UAN immediately by sms.

Once you have made the online registration fee of Rs. 1000, get the DD against the reserve price of the number of his/her choice and visit DTIDC office. I suggest you to keep the DD ready in advance as it is suggested to submit the DD on the same day of registration. I submitted a DD of Rs. 20000 as I wanted to bid for category 5 only.

Other document you need to submit is address proof of the person on whose name the car will be registered. Get this copy attested by the person and also carry the original in case someone else is submitting the documents on his/her behalf. There is an option of " fill draft details " on left hand side on the e-auction site. Enter this option by filling your UAN and fill the DD details there. After entering the DD details, take the print out of this. You need this print out as well to complete the registration process. Visit the DTIDC office with all these documents and submit there. You will get your username and password by sms after submitting these documents.

Step Two : Participate in Bidding

You have got your username and password now. After completion of the Registration process on 3rd day the bidding process will begin on the 4th day and continue on the 5th day. The timing for bidding will be from after midnight (day 3) up to 5.00 pm (day 5) subject to, if there is any bidding going on in the last 5 minutes before the close
of e-auction at 5:00 pm, then the time will be extended for those numbers only for 5 minutes duration. This process will continue if there is bidding going on for last 5 minutes up to 5:30 pm (i.e. max. 30minutes after 5:00 pm).

Tip :

Go to " select registration mark of choice ". You will see a list of available numbers. At the bottom there is an option to add your number of choice. Reserve price will reflect in front of the number. First view to this list will give an impression that you have to choose numbers from this list only. However these are the numbers which are currently available and also the numbers which already has been chosen by other bidders. A person can select a max of 10 numbers. If you choose a number which is shown in the list, it is almost sure that someone else has already selected this number. Thus there is high possibility that bidding will be done on this number. I selected 5 numbers which I liked from the list and added 5 numbers of my own. If the number is available it will be added on the list. Suppose you added 5 new numbers. The person who will chose after you, will now see the 5 numbers added by you as well and so on. Choose number wisely considering which number will attract more bidding. If you want to be safe and do not want to shell any more money, do not select numbers from the list at all. Add all the 10 numbers of your choice to the list. Its your choice and make best use of it.

While bidding, the bidder can change the amount of bid by multiples of Rs.10000/- only, for category 5 bid will be in multiple of Rs. 1000/-. You can see the highest bid amount on any number and accordingly change your bid. You will be allotted a number for which you have bid the maximum. All details of bidding is available on the site and go though it carefully. Do track bidding near the closing time i.e 5 p.m on day 5 as most bidding takes place near the closing.

Step Three : Getting Allotment Letter

You have successfully completed the bidding and a number has been allotted to you. You will receive the confirmatory sms for the same. Last formality is to get the allotment letter which you need to handover to the dealer to get this number allocated on your new car. The dealer will get your car registered after getting this letter. You need to visit DTIDC office again to get this letter on any working days. You are given 5 working days after completion of auction to get this letter. If you fail to get this letter in 5 days, the number will be cancelled and no amount will be refunded. Lets check the documents to complete the final process:

1. The successful bidders is required to deposit the balance amount in the form of Demand Draft within five working days from the date of declaration. The demand draft shall be issued by the nationalized banks only, drawn in favour of “Commissioner of Transport, Government of NCT of Delhi” and will be deposited at DTIDC, 2nd Floor, ISBT, Kashmere Gate, Delhi-110006. In case the successful bid is of an amount lower than the value of demand draft deposited by the bidder, then the successful bidder will be permitted to replace the demand draft. In such cases the successful bidder shall deposit the demand draft of the successful bid amount and only thereafter the
earlier draft deposited for the reserve price. The allotment letter of the registration mark of choice will be handed over to the successful bidder when he deposits the balance amount. The balance amount means the difference between the successful bid amount and the amount deposited earlier as reserve amount. The validity of allotment letter will be for a period of 90 days for Registration of the vehicle. The successful bidder shall apply for registration of vehicle within 90 days with the designated Zonal Transport Office.

2. You need acknowledgement slip which you received when you submitted the DD for registration. Take all the documents you received in return when you visited for registration.

3. Self attested copy of address proof of the person on whose name the number is allotted.

4. In case you are going to take the letter on someone else behalf, you need a confirmation letter signed from that person. Write a letter stating that the person has authorized you to take the allotment letter on his/her behalf. Get it signed from the person. Also you need a copy of valid id of yours signed by you. This information I could not find online but I am sharing with you all so that you get it done in one visit.

That's all guys these are documents you require. Take original documents as well for in case they want to see.

When I visited to take my allotment letter, I saw that mostly dealer people come to take the allotment letter. People from hyundai, audi, maruti etc were there. They have assigned a few people permanently for this purpose. Hardly any owner was there. These guys knows all these formality and come well prepared. I learnt from them and after reading you guys will also go well prepared like them. Owners like me had to visit more than once to get this simple process done. But I want you all to get it done in one go.

The registration fee and DD is vaild only for one auction. If you somehow fail to get your number of choice in the auction, you will get the DD against the reserve price returned from DTIDC. Registration fee is non refundable. However for next auction, you will have to register again and follow the same process again.

Other shocking thing I learnt there is that these dealers are cheating customers. All these dealer were charging extra from customers for this process. Hyundai guy was telling that our dealership asks customer 30k to get odd or even number. People happily give this money and then they follow this process and dealership earns 9k easily from one customer. I understand people do not have time still its an easy process and you will save money. I got it done in 2 visits only which are mandatory one for registration and other for allotment letter even if I was not fully aware of the process. I think after reading this anyone would complete this process easily and you can save your money. Most of the dealer and middle men were there and making huge money in this process. Hyundai guy admitted in front of me and I wonder how much Audi or other premium brand charge for getting VIP number or odd/even number from their customers.

Best of luck for your bidding.
Hello
I read your entire article and found it very informative , however i have a confusion with the point -
Getting allotment letter point 1 , it says if the amount of the successful bid is lower than the reserve amount then i have the chance to replace the DD . So for example is it like if i choose a number that no one else did bid for and i won the bid for 1000 bucks so will my balance amount of 19000 from 20000 reserve price will be refunded or what .

Top Bottom