DSLR - How To Make Your Photos Stand Out.

I have Canon Rebel T4i or known as EOS 650D here with 18-55 and 55-250 lens. picked up recently and now looking to learn.

Thread Starter #17
Try this site and play around with the subject distance and aperture value. This will give you a basic understanding of depth of view.

Cameras also come with a depth of view preview button. Not sure where it is in Canon as I am a Nikon user. Your camera manual should be of help.

Normally when you use you 55-250 at 250mm and the aperture wide open say 5.6, you will get the most shallow depth of field - useful for shots you have displayed.

Your camera distance to the subject also matters.

PS. if your are using android, there are free DOF applications....

Last edited:
I have Canon Rebel T4i or known as EOS 650D here with 18-55 and 55-250 lens. picked up recently and now looking to learn.
55-250 is very good for shallow depth of field.

Take out your camera tomorrow. Change lens to 55-250. Stay bit far from the object and zoom-in. You will see the background getting blurred. Click few pics from different distance and check on your pc [:)]

The below pic i took when we visited Hoganekal . Some hawker's daughter on his shoulder. (Did not do anything - No crop/resize/color correction)
DSC_4467.jpg

55-250 is very good for shallow depth of field.

Take out your camera tomorrow. Change lens to 55-250. Stay bit far from the object and zoom-in. You will see the background getting blurred. Click few pics from different distance and check on your pc [:)]

The below pic i took when we visited Hoganekal . Some hawker's daughter on his shoulder. (Did not do anything - No crop/resize/color correction)
View attachment 91841
Would you share the details of the camera, lens the aperture and the F-stop you had set for the picture above, it has life and it really stands out as a candid pic

I also assume you had set a MF when taking this pic with focus on the subject, the reason i asked it is as i get this kind of a pic only with a MF and by selecting the subject, but i have seen my friend's Rebel T2i take this kind of a pic in AF mode too, i am totally unclear on this ?

Thread Starter #21
I also assume you had set a MF when taking this pic with focus on the subject, the reason i asked it is as i get this kind of a pic only with a MF and by selecting the subject, but i have seen my friend's Rebel T2i take this kind of a pic in AF mode too, i am totally unclear on this ?
AF works fine for these kind of shoots. Only when the light is low or if there are no contrasts (like in focusing on a single color space), the AF starts to hunt....

AF works fine for these kind of shoots. Only when the light is low or if there are no contrasts (like in focusing on a single color space), the AF starts to hunt....
Ok i assume i might be too one sided with MF that i have not explored AF a lot this might have been the reason

But why i felt that was my friend was able to click similar shots in T2i with AF and i was never successful (or i believe now that i have not explored a lot) in AF, my mind kept believing its the camera's limitation [embarass]

Thread Starter #23
If you are comfortable with MF and have a good eye, I don't see any reason for you not to focus manually.

At my age and with my poor eyesight... I wear glasses and don't wear them while shooting... AF works fine for me for most of my shots. If I feel the lens hunting, then I switch to MF.

While it is fine to continue shooting in MF, it dosen't hurt to tryout AF.

BTW, what is your shooting gear?

If you are comfortable with MF and have a good eye, I don't see any reason for you not to focus manually.

At my age and with my poor eyesight... I wear glasses and don't wear them while shooting... AF works fine for me for most of my shots. If I feel the lens hunting, then I switch to MF.

While it is fine to continue shooting in MF, it dosen't hurt to tryout AF.

BTW, what is your shooting gear?
A Canon T3i with 18-55mm & 18-135mm , well must start trying with AF just to get a hang of it, but mostly its the other way around [roll]

May i know your gear too ?

Thanks guys. I need to see what settings i did when shooting this. It was in Manual Focus.
According to professionals, they suggest Aperture priority or Shutter priority and click wonderful photos.

@Highway_Ranger 50mm 1.8D and 70-300 VRII - Nice gears you got. Love to have those too. May be once i get more time to spend on clicking

Thread Starter #27
@Highway_Ranger 50mm 1.8D and 70-300 VRII - Nice gears you got. Love to have those too. May be once i get more time to spend on clicking
I bought the 70-300 just before this trip to Valparai. I got the 50 1.8D along with it. (it was an impulse buy). I only tried it a couple of times and found that it does not suit my style of shooting, which is mainly wildlife/nature and landscapes on our trips. I don't do street photography in low light or portraits.

Another issue that I had with the 50 mm was that the focus ring rotates while focusing - not the internal focusing type.

All my shots are handheld, even though I always carry a tripod in the car.

My left hand is always supporting the lens and this rotating focus ring really irritates me. So I have re-packed it and is lying idle. [embarass]

My left hand is always supporting the lens and this rotating focus ring really irritates me. So I have re-packed it and is lying idle. [embarass]
I mistakenly read it as 1.8G and instead 1.8D . How much did you spend on it ? I read somewhere that 1.8G better compared with 1.8D.

You shot all those birds @ Valaparai handheld? How much you got that 70-300 for ?

Thread Starter #29
I mistakenly read it as 1.8G and instead 1.8D . How much did you spend on it ? I read somewhere that 1.8G better compared with 1.8D.
I got the 1.8D from snapdeal they had a 10% off so cost me less than 6000 with bill and warranty.

1.8G has internal focusing and internal AF motor. The edge sharpness is better in 1.8G and it cost double.

I had also ordered the 70-300 from them, but due to the delay in shipping I cancelled the order and got it from RK Photoguide, Bangalore for 29200 + 300rs for home delivery. Also with bill and warranty.

You shot all those birds @ Valaparai handheld?
Yes. I have a tripod and carry it in my car. But never used it....[frustration] The birds were shot with 70-300 handheld and cropped as even 300 mm is not enough to frame a bird. Came out ok considering that these were cropped.[:)] Like the lens. Even this morning took some shots of a Myna and posted in the the Best photography thread.

Great ! That is the power of VR :) ! If i take some @ 200mm or beyond, pic looks blurry. I think, my hand shivers a lot ! Luckily, D-90, D-7000 got a built in motor so that i could use the cheap 6k Lens !

Saw the Myna photos. Nice capture. !

Top Bottom