Driving Tips From Gurus To Beginners Like Me

@ Vijay_968
Yes you're right ! There is not enough distance between bus & me. So couldn't check. In city traffic we can't keep reasonable distance between one another. I am feeling stressed following rules and not enjoying the ride as I used to . Is there any method I can approach.
If I knew, I would be enjoying 100% of my drives ! It's difficult not to get stressed in City limits. I switch on AC, some music to calm down me and pray for a good drive. I am on the look out for maniacs and slow down upon spoting them.

If on bike or car, I keep watching the mirrors and expect the unexpected. When the unexpected "doesn't happen" it is lottery [:D]

Friends please suggest a good and helpful driving navigation app. There are so many on Google play store. I can't select a specific one.

Friends please suggest a good and helpful driving navigation app. There are so many on Google play store. I can't select a specific one.
The default Google Maps has never let me down, although the routes suggested is not always optimal.However it is always better than MapMyIndia which is in my Blaupunkt Navigation unit.

bhvm

Honoured Member
google IMHO has been always a nightmare. it takes you through some impossible roads and gets you stuck.

map my India comes 1st.
Tom Tom is 2nd.

both these are paid.
here comes 3rd but is free & easy to use.

Almost every time, I have trouble with Google Maps. It points to almost non-existent roads. I use Google Maps as a broad reference and then refer to signboards or just ask people for directions. This is my approach for all my road trips

How to navigate bumper to bumper traffic in a car with AMT

I would like to know how to navigate bumper to bumper traffic in a car with automatic transmission. In a car with manual transmission this can be done using the half clutch technique. Since an automatic transmission car does not have a clutch, then what does the automatic transmission car offer to handle this situation?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: How to navigate bumper to bumper traffic in a car with AMT

I would like to know how to navigate bumper to bumper traffic in a car with automatic transmission. In a car with manual transmission this can be done using the half clutch technique. Since an automatic transmission car does not have a clutch, then what does the automatic transmission car offer to handle this situation?
Hi Faizan, Welcome to The Automotive India. In present times, most AT & AMT equipped cars come with a creep-function. The Creep Function helps in tackling heavy traffic like bumper-to-bumper scene. The Creep feature works by lightly releasing the brakes that makes car slowly move forward. The car which shall be equipped with a creep function will not need accelerator input when stuck in heavy traffic.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Re: How to navigate bumper to bumper traffic in a car with AMT

Hi Faizan, Welcome to The Automotive India. In present times, most AT & AMT equipped cars come with a creep-function. The Creep Function helps in tackling heavy traffic like bumper-to-bumper scene. The Creep feature works by lightly releasing the brakes that makes car slowly move forward. The car which shall be equipped with a creep function will not need accelerator input when stuck in heavy traffic.

Regards

Akash
Thank you Akash. That was informative.

Regards,
Faizan

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Parking your car: Shift to “P” or pull the handbrake first?

If you drive an automatic, you need to shift to “P” and engage the parking brake to park the car. There are however, two different types of people in terms of the sequence of action. Some shift to “P” first, and then engage the parking brake, while some engage the parking brake first, and then shift to “P”.

Is there a right and wrong for this sequence?

Well, yes, sort of.
There is no difference when parked on a level surface. However, when parked on a hill, you might notice a rather unpleasant “clunk” when shifting out of “P”.

a66c57c6f46440cababbd4f0a2b25527.jpg

What is that sound?

That is the sound of your parking pawl trying to move against the transmission output shaft.

What is a parking pawl?

A parking pawl is a pin/lock on the transmission output.

When you shift, into “P”, the parking pawl engages and locks the output shaft of your transmission. The pawl disengages when you shift out of “P”.

cb7327f293154a068864a15a0646ec99.jpg

Engaged and disengaged parking pawl​

When you shift into “P” first, lift your foot of the foot-brake, and then engage the parking brake, the weight of the car rests on that tiny metal bit we call the parking pawl. That’s not great. When you do this, you will hear the unpleasant “clunk” when shifting out of “P” later.

e89178bd333b486ba7e640372d0cb40c.jpg

Broken parking pawl​

Is it wrong to let the car's weight rest in the parking pawl?

Well, parking pawls can break. It might not look like much, but this little broken piece can be nuisance to fix. Sure, it’s a tiny metal bit, but that tiny broken piece can jam up some crucial parts in your transmission.

Sometimes, you might even notice people shifting into “P” at traffic lights. It’s not a great habit.

So how do you avoid the “clunk” sound?

Take the following steps when parked on a hill.

1. Bring the car to a full stop.
2. Keep the foot brake pressed.
3. Shift to "N".

*Now all the weight is on the foot brake.

4. Engage the parking brake.
5. Lift your foot of the foot brake.

*Now all the weight is on the parking brake.

6. Press the foot brake. (to prevent reversing)
7. Shift the gear into “P”.
8. Lift your foot of the foot brake.

*Now all the weight is on the parking brake while the parking pawl acts as a fail-safe if the parking brake fails.

In short, it is better to let the weight of your car rest on the parking brake than the parking pawl (especially on a hill). You wouldn't want to have a broken parking pawl in your transmission.

Credit: Wapcar

I have learned to drive a car, I have a strange problem, when I drive the car 15-16 km in 1st gear, then if I press and release the clutch(hold in bitting point), the car is shaking forward, and the car seems to be braking. Why is this happening?

My sister passed her driving license exam in just 29 days*30 minutes of driving.

LOL. I quitted after 15 days. She used to drive very well since the very beginning. Some people are just natural man.

Consistency matters. Ask yourself why you feel like quitting. It all flows down to ones mindset
Also driving is not all about just getting license, it is lot more than it.

I mean that's the starting step. Bravo to her.I felt I didn;t have driving IQ at this moment, I will try fresh again later. Plus I was doing lots of stuffs at once.

Top Bottom