Driving Tips From Gurus To Beginners Like Me

Just a quick question to all which was hovering from few days in my head

You are coming down on a steepest of steepest slope. What would happen to the engine / transmission if vehicle is engaged in reverse gear?
This happened accidentally to me, once I was driving my i10 on highway and something was running on my mind (not sure what was in my mind at that time), instead of engaging to 5th gear I tried to engage the reverse gear. It was not fully into that slot, just a small touch to reverse slot. Suddenly I heard a creepy noise (tric tric tric tric) form transmission as an alarm.

With that sound I came out of my thoughts and realized my mistake. I was much worried at that time thinking that I have damaged the transmission and it will burn my pocket. Stopped the car by the side and tried engaging gears with engine off. I haven’t found any issue, but many questions in my mind.

After few minutes started my journey, luckily nothing strange happened and it performed as usual.

As I haven’t engaged reverse gear fully, nothing happened (my justification). Not sure if reverse gear will engage while moving forward.

You will find a video in youtube showing what will happen if one engages reverse gear while moving forward [ I can't insert the link right now but friend may search]. It will severely damage the transmission system. However if anybody wishes to park a vehicle on slope going down,he may engage reverse gear after stopping and parking the vehicle securely.

Actually the question here is,

You have to come down on steepest slope. I put my gear to first and start rolling down, after few meters i came to complete stop and engage reverse gear and again start rolling down. What would happen to engine / transmission in later case ?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Actually the question here is,

You have to come down on steepest slope. I put my gear to first and start rolling down, after few meters i came to complete stop and engage reverse gear and again start rolling down. What would happen to engine / transmission in later case ?
If you are completely stopped, Engaging reverse and then clutch out will either cause 1) Engine clip off & Vehicle stops (most indian vehicles) or 2) Vehicle will start rolling Backwards (Upwards the slope), If you have a very powerful engine.

When Moving, you will surely blow the clutch, transmission, drive shafts etc.

Hello Experts,
What is the recommended approach in following situation:

You are driving on a 3x3 or 2x2 road and nearing a median gap. Would you remain/switch to center/left lane if you see a vehicle which may seem like joining your side or irrespective of it?

I remember on my way to Rameshwaram with 5 adults on NH7 (3x3 lane stretch) a Polo joining the road from gap in median from opposite side while I switched lane from right most to center to accommodate him but he still crossed to center lane (joined the road diagonally instead of nearest lane) and continued coming in front of me till his car ended on leftmost lane!

To make things worse, his car actually stalled (have seen at least 2-3 Polos showing this problem in front of me). Somehow I could stop the car at left most edge of the road behind his car, thanks to God and my car's braking.

From that incident, I get more cautious at intersections, median gaps particularly on such (NH7, NH4) highways

So points to note:
1) Some people join the road from intersection as if they were on straight road.
2) Most of the bikers - particularly on NH7 join the side diagonally, crossing all the lanes.
3) Some cars could stall - that is, you expect them to be ahead of you at certain speeds, but they could actually halt in front of you!

Considering this, I have started switching to middle or even leftmost lane when I see an intersection or a median gap approaching but not sure if it is the right way.

Thanks.

When nearing medians it is better to be in the left, in india driving in the left lane/slow lane is safe.

The car which enters the road should wait for the oncoming car to pass then join.

If the oncoming car is very far , the joining car should take the nearest lane or stick to the lane he joined (when taking u turn car reaches the middle or left lane)

In medians you are supposed to slow to around 50 or below for your own safety.

Actually the person joining from median on the road should always check all the lanes before joining. Secondly, after you join the road you should move to the extreme left and give way to the cars which are already stopped / slow downed to complete your entry.

If you are on rightmost lane and saw someone joining the road from median then do slow down or give honk as the person joining may have not noticed you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LI8FZPueC8
I am sharing this video in anticipation that more such links will be provided by Friends. It has been a long pursuit of mine to find a reference point for parking car near the kerb coming from middle of the road.
I use it the similar way. It is of great help when giving side to someone on narrow ghat roads.

Confused as a result of attending too many different driving classes - Need help

A little background. I have zero experience driving any vehicle before 3 months back in my life and I'm in my mid 30s. Due to a sudden enlightenment, I decided to learn and drive and started by buying and practicing in a Honda Navi first [Still learning] and enrolled myself in a local driving school about 45 days back. Here starts the problem which I didn't even realize till now when I have joined Maruti Driving School.

Half-Clutch First-Gear Combo

Half-clutch driving uphill. I learnt first in a swift diesel dzire and the car used to roll uphill even in half-clutch first gear combo and the driver kept impressing on the need to use this technique for all cars uniformly. The second school I joined also did the same thing. The Maruti Driving School Instructor laughed at me and told me that this will not work for all vehicles and specifically will not work in Petrol vehicles at all and demonstrated the same using a Petrol Wagon R.

Question. I have purchased a Ford Ecosport [1.5 Petrol] and awaiting delivery [I Know, overkill for a beginner, but I loved the vehicle] In my TD, the car stalled every time I tried the half-clutch uphill and would move only if I kept pressing the accelerator. So, is the half-clutch accelerator combo on uphill is the only mechanism for moving a Petrol vehicle?

Stopping Gradually Vs Sudden Braking

For gradual stopping from high speed to crossing a hump, should we keep clutch depressed, brake first slowly, reduce speed and then when near the hump, shift to second gear? Or should we not use clutch use at all till we are about to change gears?

For sudden braking, irrespective of speed, should we brake first or press clutch first fully and then brake?

Advice Needed on the following

1. Bumper to Bumper Traffic - Best way to move
  2. RPM is the indicator for Gear shifting or Speed?
  3. Can we downshift from 5th to 3rd and 4th to 2nd?

Re: Confused as a result of attending too many different driving classes - Need help

micromort said:
So, is the half-clutch accelerator combo on uphill is the only mechanism for moving a Petrol vehicle?
Yes.... Try To Switch Off the AC, So engine can utilize full available power.

micromort said:
For gradual stopping from high speed to crossing a hump, should we keep clutch depressed, brake first slowly, reduce speed and then when near the hump, shift to second gear? Or should we not use clutch use at all till we are about to change gears?
If you asking here how to cross a Speed Breaker - (1) Reduce the Speed by applying the Brake or Let Go Acc Pedal the moment you spot it. (2) About to Roll over the hump your Front Wheel, Depress the Clutch Full (assuming you already slow down the Car to your comfort speed else need to apply brake too) - and your front wheel just cross the Speed Breaker. (3) Now release the clutch pedal to Half Clutch position so the Vehicle gain the Biting point power as well momentum and cross the Rear wheel Easily (4) Now press the Acc Pedal and speed away (For get moving you need to shift your gear to upper level than the current one.)

micromort said:
1.Bumper to Bumper Traffic - Best way to move
2.RPM is the indicator for Gear shifting or Speed?
3.Can we downshift from 5th to 3rd and 4th to 2nd?
1. Use Half Clutch Method to Gain momentum - If needed use Acc Pedal (when the Traffic Jam Clear Away and the front vehicle start speeding) .
2. Don't worry about this much now - You will master some day when you learn driving completely and able to keep the car at Low RPM range all the time.
3. Yes.....any of them as required - of course by matching speed.

Re: Confused as a result of attending too many different driving classes - Need help

Yes.... Try To Switch Off the AC, So engine can utilize full available power.

If you asking here how to cross a Speed Breaker - (1) Reduce the Speed by applying the Brake or Let Go Acc Pedal the moment you spot it. (2) About to Roll over the hump your Front Wheel, Depress the Clutch Full (assuming you already slow down the Car to your comfort speed else need to apply brake too) - and your front wheel just cross the Speed Breaker. (3) Now release the clutch pedal to Half Clutch position so the Vehicle gain the Biting point power as well momentum and cross the Rear wheel Easily (4) Now press the Acc Pedal and speed away (For get moving you need to shift your gear to upper level than the current one.)
Should I be in the first gear while the entire vehicle crosses the hump at a crawling speed?

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Should I be in the first gear while the entire vehicle crosses the hump at a crawling speed?

Thank you for the detailed answer.
It depends on Road condition / Height of the Bump -

If you are at the Crawling Speed @ the Speed Breaker - Then you defiantly be in 1st Gear else your engine already stalled.

Situation like already wear of Speed Hump where speed breaker already loose its height due re-applied layer of Asphalt / or completely scattered / broken and you are cruising 35 - 40 kmph at 4th Gear - You Spot it and Slow Down to 15 -20 kmph and cross the hump - In this case you need to shift 4th Gear to 2nd Gear and speed away by pressing Acc Pedal...no need to go all the way to 1st.

Here is the universal recommended Gear - Speed to yield great fuel economy :

0-10 kmph - 1st
10-20 kmph - 2nd
20-30 kmph - 3rd
30-40 kmph - 4th
40-50 kmph - 5th
50 Up - Use if any available.

Also Congrats for your Ecosports. Drive Safe.

Last edited:

Hello,

Firstly I would like to congratulate you for your first car purchase and wish you happy miles of smiles. [clap]

Half-clutch driving uphill. I learnt first in a swift diesel dzire and the car used to roll uphill even in half-clutch first gear combo and the driver kept impressing on the need to use this technique for all cars uniformly. The second school I joined also did the same thing. The Maruti Driving School Instructor laughed at me and told me that this will not work for all vehicles and specifically will not work in Petrol vehicles at all and demonstrated the same using a Petrol Wagon R.
I think this is specific to clutch itself of that specific car. Not petrol or diesel. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Some cars are have long clutch and you can smoothly control engine to wheels power but some have short clutch and they cause engine stall if we improperly synchronize the pedals.

Half-Clutch is used in uphill and heavy traffic but AFAIK using it regularly isn't good for engine/clutch life. Instead try to control by brake and when you feel engine is going to stall, use the clutch.

If your mind sticks with synchronizing of Clutch, Brake and Acc. then you don't even look at them. As well as gear timing. After becoming expert with one car, it just takes 10 mins to get used to on any other car. [:)]

For sudden braking, irrespective of speed, should we brake first or press clutch first fully and then brake?
Here is what I do:

My car is going at speed of 60 KM/H and I'm on 5th gear. I see a hump in safe distance. First I apply the brake slightly and when speed starts to cross gear ratios, I depress clutch fully and downshift step by step. When I think the speed is fine to cross the hump, I keep that gear, engage the clutch and cross the hump (with acc. if needed). 2nd gear should be fine to cross most humps but if hump is high then I'ed choice 1st or 3rd if hump is tiny.

For sudden notice of hump, you'll have to use both clutch and brake. Indeed brake comes first but if speed goes below the gear range then you have to apply clutch otherwise engine goes off (You'll notice it though)

Like I said above, when your mind understands the engine power, clutch engaging, gear ratio then it just happens in your legs and hands but you'll only focus on road. [:)]

1. Bumper to Bumper Traffic - Best way to move - Understanding synchronizing of Clutch, Brake and Acc. In a empty road, drive your car in 1st gear and then apply brake slightly. In a few moments you'll notice engine is about to stall and thats the time to apply clutch. Here you can practice the clutch and acc. combination.
    -
  2. RPM is the indicator for Gear shifting or Speed? - In my driving experience, I haven't even looked this thing for a minute. Speedometer helps to choice gear but only for beginners. Once learnt, car speed is understood without looking at speedometer and you change gear at that speed. i.e writing a letter in computer without looking at keyboard. Just remember not to raise acc. too much and change the gear.
    -
  3. Can we downshift from 5th to 3rd and 4th to 2nd? - Yes you can but don't shift to a gear when car speed is not it that range/ratio. i.e 2nd gear on 40 km/h or you will seriously damage the engine. Remember gear ratio given by Arijitb, you'll can also find that written in car manual, windshield, sunvisor
My reply in bold letters.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

Top Bottom