Driving Tips From Gurus To Beginners Like Me

Friends always I have fear regarding right turn in main road. This particularly happen at the time of refueling because the nearest pump to my residence falls on the right side of the road. Two way traffic runs on the road [ up & down ]. I took such turns but always feel nervous because I had to cut the coming traffic and tolerate honking from behind. Any advice on the matter is welcome from my experienced friends.
I don't think you need to fear in this regard.

Just switch on the right indicators few meters before itself. and you come to the middle of the road (not on left side) (as mentioned in A image) and wait for traffic to stop (am sure there will be a signal somewhere and definitely you will get a break) then simple turn left. Before turning left please make sure no vehicle is in front as well back (through ORVM). (As mentioned in B Image)

Right Turn.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you need to fear in this regard.

Just switch on the right indicators few meters before itself. and you come to the middle of the road (not on left side) (as mentioned in A image) and wait for traffic to stop (am sure there will be a signal somewhere and definitely you will get a break) then simple turn left. Before turning left please make sure no vehicle is in front as well back (through ORVM). (As mentioned in B Image)
Very nice advise. A well versed, veteran and mature driver exhibit such skills.
Life becomes easy and safe if everybody follows such small, minor rules while driving in city, definitely, we don't need traffic signals then.

Thanks for sharing the valuable tips.

What is the correct gear and method to negotiate in densely crawling traffic?

Suppose you are approaching dense traffic patch at 40-50 Km speed, then to lower the speed you change gear in 2nd and press brake slowly to begin the crawl, now the speed comes somewhere around 10 Km but still you want to lower it at say 3-4 Km without stalling then whether to keep gear in 2nd or should it be shifted in 1st? [confused]

What is the correct gear and method to negotiate in densely crawling traffic?

Suppose you are approaching dense traffic patch at 40-50 Km speed, then to lower the speed you change gear in 2nd and press brake slowly to begin the crawl, now the speed comes somewhere around 10 Km but still you want to lower it at say 3-4 Km without stalling then whether to keep gear in 2nd or should it be shifted in 1st? [confused]
To my knowledge first gear should be used only for starting a stalled vehicle. in the situation you are mentioning you can very well maintain in 2nd gear. Assume for some reason you have stopped your car. And when it start moving it is very slow like 3-5 KM speed you can continue on 1st gear but not for long. once it is crossed 10KM/h speed it is better to change to 2nd gear.

To my knowledge first gear should be used only for starting a stalled vehicle. in the situation you are mentioning you can very well maintain in 2nd gear. Assume for some reason you have stopped your car. And when it start moving it is very slow like 3-5 KM speed you can continue on 1st gear but not for long. once it is crossed 10KM/h speed it is better to change to 2nd gear.
Thanks Sethu sir.
I feel i stalled my car with this scenario. Anyways, i will try what you mentioned and will update the result accordingly. The overall objective is to just crawl at lowest speed as possible without stalling engine.

Thanks Sethu sir.
I feel i stalled my car with this scenario. Anyways, i will try what you mentioned and will update the result accordingly. The overall objective is to just crawl at lowest speed as possible without stalling engine.

As you mentioned there are two scenarios here as

1. slowing down and going going in crawling in slow speed
  2. Stalled, started and crawling in slow speed.

In first situation you can continue in 2nd gear slowly.

In second situation if the speed is going to very slow you need not even press accelerator. just slowly release the clutch, the vehicle start moving. you can easily do this if the speed is less than 5 KM/H.

I do this in my sparky. Just have my legs only in clutch and break. I Just follow this, I do not know efficient or what. I felt comfortable. But it happen very occasionally ( you must be knowing Chennai trafic)

In second situation if the speed is going to very slow you need not even press accelerator. just slowly release the clutch, the vehicle start moving.
Is it true for all cars like wagonR? When I was trained in wagonR at driving school,I had to apply accelerator simultaneously for slow movement. The pick up of wagonR is so mild that the pressing of accelerator does not affect crawling speed. But my Ritz does not require accelerator even at starting. One foot on clutch and other on break works very well for this car.

Is it true for all cars like wagonR? When I was trained in wagonR at driving school,I had to apply accelerator simultaneously for slow movement. The pick up of wagonR is so mild that the pressing of accelerator does not affect crawling speed. But my Ritz does not require accelerator even at starting. One foot on clutch and other on break works very well for this car.
I think so, it is in all modern cars now a days. I had this feature even in my M800, so definitely it should be there in waggy also.

I was driving one of our member's EcoSport and it was having such a torque that it was pulling vehicle without accelerator even in 3 rd gear. I was amazed.

As you mentioned there are two scenarios here as

1. slowing down and going going in crawling in slow speed
  2. Stalled, started and crawling in slow speed.

In first situation you can continue in 2nd gear slowly.

In second situation if the speed is going to very slow you need not even press accelerator. just slowly release the clutch, the vehicle start moving. you can easily do this if the speed is less than 5 KM/H.

I do this in my sparky. Just have my legs only in clutch and break. I Just follow this, I do not know efficient or what. I felt comfortable. But it happen very occasionally ( you must be knowing Chennai trafic)
Yes Sethu sir, i know chennai traffic very well but now a days sailing in Pune traffic. [drive]

Today i tried crawling in slow speed (2-3 Kmph) without stalling by half clutch method. As taught by driving school i usually use to shift in 1st when my car used to get completely stop in traffic, but now i realised that my car also gets pulled from stop position in 2nd gear without giving accelerator [:)]. It definately takes much practice for newbie driver like me for getting control over clutch movement.

Yes Sethu sir, i know chennai traffic very well but now a days sailing in Pune traffic. [drive]

Today i tried crawling in slow speed (2-3 Kmph) without stalling by half clutch method. As taught by driving school i usually use to shift in 1st when my car used to get completely stop in traffic, but now i realised that my car also gets pulled from stop position in 2nd gear without giving accelerator [:)]. It definately takes much practice for newbie driver like me for getting control over clutch movement.
I don't think it might be good to start in 2nd gear after stopping the car. I heard you might have problem with clutch plate if you do it. Always start from 1st gear once the car is stopped.

I don't think it might be good to start in 2nd gear after stopping the car. I heard you might have problem with clutch plate if you do it. Always start from 1st gear once the car is stopped.
+1 to that.

GrandRK GRAND I10 pulls comfortable in second gear at lower speeds, but at very low speed and starting from 0 you might stall in second gear, which is not good in dense traffic. Do this:
1) Shift to second as you apprach dense traffic and keep crawling with the help of clutch. Better practise this technique in a ground so that you can control your (low) speeds with only clutch and brake without stalling.
2) IF at all you have to stop-shift to 1st gear- crawl-mild accelerator-shift to second keep crawling.

Friends, I seek advice regarding parking of vehicle close to the left kerb. It has been advised in other threads, if the left road line cuts the middle of the dash board the car comes close to the kerb. But if I come from middle of the road and wants to park close to the kerb what reference points will do? Please advise.

Sidd7hartha said:
Friends, I seek advice regarding parking of vehicle close to the left kerb. It has been advised in other threads, if the left road line cuts the middle of the dash board the car comes close to the kerb. But if I come from middle of the road and wants to park close to the kerb what reference points will do? Please advise.

The Best and Easy way for congested place & guessing all the time , Install a Clearing Stick and it solve the problem once for all, and believe me it is a tremendous help not only for the parking but all the time when you drive around in Traffic Jam / Congested Road - You exactly know ALL THE TIME When and Where your left side goes.

Below is the Exact Dash View of mine - check out middle of the left side wiper.

IMG_20141015_143235.jpg

This is what it will be look like in your car if you go for the stick - Follow the white arrow Area

20140330_161158.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom