Driving Tips From Gurus To Beginners Like Me

Gradually the first gear stalling problem is going away, however still I fear when initially taking the car on ride, but once I am on road, the fear seems to go away.
I take it to the ride only at late night and early morning.

Gradually the first gear stalling problem is going away, however still I fear when initially taking the car on ride, but once I am on road, the fear seems to go away.
I take it to the ride only at late night and early morning.
Good to know that there is gradual improvement.
And go slow near signals in the night as traffic may come from all directions, to perfect 1st gear go on an gradient (up road) in the night and learn it.
Just a matter of time , you will master the driving.
Be calm while driving, and don't get tensed if some one honks.

Be calm while driving, and don't get tensed if some one honks.
+1 to that. it is very important to stay calm when somebody honks from behind. my wife gets tensed and she will look behind when a bus or lorry honks from behind (when on two-wheeler). as we both have good weight my balance will be temporarily disrupt. since i know this i can easily recover. i always tell her not to tense when someone honks but she won't listen

We really cannot tell if there is an accident ahead to us. That's why we should always make sure that we are ready in case it happens. In the event of a crash, having your vehicle as intact as possible is very important. This often, remarkably, includes having your doors locked.
Hmmmm the Mercs here in India unlock doors on impact but i am guessing a few millesec later,an interesting thing is everytime you hit a pot hole quite hard the doors unlock [:)] (thinking there has been a small accident)

Thread Starter #35
today i drove 130 kms

CAR : santro

TOP SPEED : 110 KMPH [:D]

thanks for the tips given by the member which where really helpfull thanks thanks and thanks a lot.

congo thats great buddy! you are becoming expert now! [:D] well keep practicing. practice makes man perfect!

I am learning car driving for about 10 days. When I am at wheel, driving, I feel like the vehicles coming from opposite are directly coming towards my car. Does it happen to everyone who is new to driving. If so, how to judge or negotiate it? Advance thanks for your advice.

hey buddy welcome to TAI. well dont be afraid only keep focus on your driving and steering control because those cars arent coming to you but in opposite lane!

hey buddy welcome to TAI. well dont be afraid only keep focus on your driving and steering control because those cars arent coming to you but in opposite lane!
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I understand. But is there a way of judging or negotiating a bit this side or that side. That is when looking straight, how to judge how far right the vehicle is coming. That is where I should look to align, at the median line or the front right edge of my vehicle or the right rear view mirror as the guiding point? Sorry, I am at loss to put in exact words

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I understand. But is there a way of judging or negotiating a bit this side or that side. That is when looking straight, how to judge how far right the vehicle is coming. That is where I should look to align, at the median line or the front right edge of my vehicle or the right rear view mirror as the guiding point? Sorry, I am at loss to put in exact words
Welcome to TAI buddy.

Don't worry about this. Its all about getting used to, gaining experience and getting to know where you yourself are(the car). Wait it out, once you start driving confidently, you will easily pass your tyre on a small patch of road between a lot of potholes, without any effort. You will know exactly where your car's dimensions are.

Good Luck [cheers]

Well,this is where the experience comes into play buddy as already mentioned by XaerO.Once you have gained an experience of some hundred kms,you yourself will learn how to negotiate with the dimensions of your car.
Rest till then you can use ORVMs for more help also they will help you sharpen your skill.
Rest once you are expert on one car then you will become for all automatically.Why?Because after that by only sitting in the car,you will recognize its dimensions and the space it needs.So no worry,just be confident.

Dear Masters of Driving,
I seek your advice on slow start of vehicle i.e almost walking speed. This is because I am owner of Ritz, which I intend to start slowly because front space was short. But on starting it moved almost 5ft even on gentle press on accelerator. I released clutch very slowly. I learn driving in a school and use Santro that do not start so fast.
Your advice is solicited.

Hmm one advice that i can think of is initially you will not be aware of how much acceleration, brake or clutch is required. So i suggest till you get used to the car like 500 kms to 1500 kms you drive the car with barefoot. You will get a feel of the cars capabilities. And it its a petrol car and you are in traffic i suggest you never accelerate, idling power itself will help you in moving the car to a distance. When you feel that its not enough only then accelerate. But make sure you learn to drive while wearing shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your advice,I will follow it. But the good news is I am now able to move car slowly. Thanks to the Tachometer that tells me the accelaration( so I can control). On the 1st day I didn't watch it. Further suggestios are wellcome!

Top Bottom