Driving Tips From Gurus To Beginners Like Me

I'm newbie into this so my suggestion is may not be correct here, so experts please feel free to correct me.

I prefer the Engine Sound and it's harshness (after the Run-In period is over), but for extremely silent Petrol Engine and AC cooled cabin I must look for Tacho needle which is situated very convenient place for Ritz .

Last edited:
There is no such golden rule of changing the gear, you need to feel the engine sound and vibration and state of the car to change the car.
But there are some rules are there like,
you should not drive more than 20 KMPH in 1 st gear.
you should not drive more than 40 KMPH in 2 st gear.
and so on..
If you feel to go ahead with the tacho reading for changing gear, no problem go ahead but this is no necessary to be stick to that method. Many people have many method to change the gear.
There are many kind of driver like heavy footer,sedate driver, racer , slow mover etc. It entirely depend what kind of driver are you and accordingly you need to change the gear.
Only matter is your engine should not Shudder in any gear.
Just feel the engine and change the gear appropriately .

Last edited:
If you really feel the engine you drive then you can feel the engine asking you gears, sometimes to down and sometimes to up.
There is no such rules to change your gears,it differs with slope and the load you are driving.
Do not make the engine knock and do not make it rough on unnecessary gears try to make it smooth,

Last edited:
If you really feel the engine you drive then you can feel the engine asking you gears, sometimes to down and sometimes to up.
There is no such rules to change your gears,it differs with slope and the load you are driving.
Do not make the engine knock and do not make it rough on unnecessary gears try to make it smooth,

Nicely explained.. [clap]

Although we feel the engine, only thing one shall keep in mind that not wait for engine to ask for gear change and find the golden timing to gear shift up or shift down

+1 to alexddas
Engine speed + throttle response is the key to shifting. If the engine is feeling loud and strained then its the time to upshift and if the throttle responses are weaker than expected/required then its the time to downshift.

Hello friends, I seek some advice on breaking. What is best method for breaking------1st what I do,-- if I see some crossing is ahead,remove my foot from accelerator,gently tap break to reduce speed, finally press the break progressively to bring the vehicle to stop or if no need of stopping, press accelerator and gain speed again. My question is if I continue pressing accelerator (i.e not tapping break) till a few yards before of crossing and then press break progressively harder and harder to bring the vehicle to stop or reduce speed considerably,is there any wrong?[roll]

Last edited:
Hello friends, I seek some advice on breaking. What is best method for breaking------1st what I do,-- if I see some crossing is ahead,remove my foot from accelerator,gently tap break to reduce speed, finally press the break progressively to bring the vehicle to stop or if no need of stopping, press accelerator and gain speed again. My question is if I continue pressing accelerator (i.e not tapping break) till a few yards before of crossing and then press break progressively harder and harder to bring the vehicle to stop or reduce speed considerably,is there any wrong?[roll]
IMO, your 1st method of breaking is correct by all means to avoid excessive/unnecessary revving of engine as you are foreseeing the need of breaking and the same time being gentle on break shoes of vehicle.

And not to mention, most important thing is this method ensures safety of both pedestrian, vehicle and vehicle owner as well. [:)]

Last edited:
What ever you do is correct as far I know. Some points from my side

• As mentioned in above post it will be safe for both you as well as the pedstrian.
  • Excess breaking/accelerating might have effect on your FE.
  • If you keep applying break suddenly whenever such thing happen (mostly in city driving) occupants in your car feel unconformable/unsafe (this is from my wife and kids. They hate such things when they go in call taxi or in our car with help of call drivers. They feel am the only driver they can trust fully)

Break Proactively and anticipate anything to avoid last second surprise. IMO the first method is correct way to. If you will break hard, chances are there you will get rear ended. Reduce to the speed where you will have all the control of breaking situation.

frequent Breaking hard will reduce the life of the break pad etc and not good for engine as well.

What ever you do is correct as far I know. Some points from my side

• As mentioned in above post it will be safe for both you as well as the pedstrian.
  • Excess breaking/accelerating might have effect on your FE.
  • If you keep applying break suddenly whenever such thing happen (mostly in city driving) occupants in your car feel unconformable/unsafe (this is from my wife and kids. They hate such things when they go in call taxi or in our car with help of call drivers. They feel am the only driver they can trust fully)
In fact the cause of my question is...when I drive say at 40 Km/hr, some vehicle pass by me very fast ( I think not less than 60-70km/hr ) and apply break just before speed breaker (Hump) , reduce speed considerably,cross the breaker and again race through the roads. How they do it?[confused]

My friends, pl advice which is better--shifting gear according to Tacho or speedometer reading?
Shift gears according to Tacho beacuse it is showing engine RPM and thats what matters isnt it??

In fact the cause of my question is...when I drive say at 40 Km/hr, some vehicle pass by me very fast ( I think not less than 60-70km/hr ) and apply break just before speed breaker (Hump) , reduce speed considerably,cross the breaker and again race through the roads. How they do it?[confused]
These are mostly taxi drivers,Using old cars, SUV drivers. U can also do the same as you drive more and more. It just gives them some sort of satisfaction lbut isnt good for the car. Plus the chances of being rear ended in sudden braking are always there.

My sincere advice Always prefer progressive braking and Engine braking

I have seen experienced drivers shift gears based on engine sound and feel. If you feel that engine (based on sound) can take in the next gear shift (up/down) pls. do that provided there is no need to shift gear again for another 500 mts or so (based on your road observation ahead). I think frequent gear shifts are also not good and tiresome too. I would prefer to maintain the same gear and go bit slow at constant engine speed rather than upshift and downshift again within 500 mts.

Engine brake is one of the best methods to slow down a vehicle before applying pedal brakes to stop it. One should anticipate and start applying brake accordingly by downshifting gear and slowly release the clutch so that engine power can be used to slow down the car to desired level.

I think anticipatory driving is a good term that fits in both the cases here. This is acquired by practice.

Shift gears according to Tacho beacuse it is showing engine RPM and thats what matters isnt it??
These are mostly taxi drivers,Using old cars, SUV drivers. U can also do the same as you drive more and more. It just gives them some sort of satisfaction lbut isnt good for the car. Plus the chances of being rear ended in sudden braking are always there.
My sincere advice Always prefer progressive braking and Engine braking
Whatever parth mentioned is true. And as srini mentioned the same way you can also do just by experience. but it is very dangerous since probability of getting hit from the car coming behind is more. Assume you are driving a car and following a car, say around 50-60 KM/H speed (am mentioning the least spead in a city condition) and suddenly the car before you breaks. what will you do and what will be your reaction time (this will be very bad when you are more speed ). Most of us will bang only. The same will happen to your car when you drive and apply brake suddenly (speed breaker or what ever) (unavoidable cases are excluded here).

Always drive with a safe distance between cars, even if you see a car rear ending you (most probably taxis) just go to the next lane and let them go and then you proceed.

Always anticipate things on road (my father used to say that imagine every one is fool on the road and you can drive safe) so that you can drive carefully.

1. CAB or SUV or MUV (Sumo) driver cruising at their Top Available Gear.

2. Upon seeing the obstacle they abandon their foot from the (A) padal.

3. Press (B)rake then (C)lutch after and almost same time to reduce the speed - upon reducing speed they abandon their foot from the (B) pedal only - Still (C) is fully pressed so that vehicle smoothly rollover the Bumper/Speed Braker/Pothole etc.

4.During the rollover time they already shift their gear to 2nd Slot (assuming they don't stop fully unless needed) & now they are ready to Fly.

5. Now they release (C) padal & press (A) pedal and zoom---->>> [drive]

---------
You're Breaking method is absolutely right as suggested by other members, Always keep your eye on three mirror and allow those F1 driver to pass you by at your convenient side.

Always remember

2 sec rule.png

Sidd7hartha said:
Hello friends, I seek some advice on breaking. What is best method for breaking------1st what I do,-- if I see some crossing is ahead,remove my foot from accelerator,gently tap break to reduce speed, finally press the break progressively to bring the vehicle to stop or if no need of stopping, press accelerator and gain speed again.
This is what I did too - No harm - 100% safe. [rules]

Sidd7hartha said:
My question is if I continue pressing accelerator (i.e not tapping break) till a few yards before of crossing and then press break progressively harder and harder to bring the vehicle to stop or reduce speed considerably,is there any wrong?
This is not recommended for us, but every other professional driver did that always - For practice sake you can do it at service road or any deserted road where nobody following you or no car or bike can be visible to your all 3 mirror. (example service road of Rajarhat new town)

Last edited:
Friends always I have fear regarding right turn in main road. This particularly happen at the time of refueling because the nearest pump to my residence falls on the right side of the road. Two way traffic runs on the road [ up & down ]. I took such turns but always feel nervous because I had to cut the coming traffic and tolerate honking from behind. Any advice on the matter is welcome from my experienced friends.

Top Bottom