Driving Tips From Gurus To Beginners Like Me

Hey guys , I too have some doubts .

1. Please explain what is Over steer and Under-steer concepts.

2. Every Indian bike is a chain driven (rear wheel drive) [:D] so i sometimes enjoy little bit of sliding on corners ( i dont mean drifting ) , but when same thing happend to me in Car it really scared hell out of me . here's what happend ,

Since am an enthusiast and like to push my bikes on sharp turns i thought same cornering technic are applied to even 4 wheels . Was doing good 100kmph on long Right hand turn and suddenly i felt rear wheel skidding and stepped out of the line , I did nothing and maintained Throttle (accelerator) only to see situation is getting worse , So now i thought that little braking will do the trick for me but as is touched brake paddle car got even more unstable , In panic i gave some steering inputs and i dont know how car came back in straight line . I thank god that i was alive and Ertiga did not toppled up .

I know that i am at fault here and all this happened in 3-4 secs but What should I do next time if i end up in same situation ? when rear or front wheels are loosing grip on corners and you need to regain control over the situations ? due to various reasons like Oil , diesel spills and many more ...?

I know very well that if i were'nt overspending on that corner i could've avoided all the hassle .

Wanted to know about clutch opetation?
What i do use clutch when shifting gears and when i need to use brake. First brake and then press the clutch. Should I need to press the clutch fully when using brake?
And what technic you all use in bridge to stop the car other than using handbrake?

What i do use clutch when shifting gears and when i need to use brake. First brake and then press the clutch. Should I need to press the clutch fully when using brake?
And what technic you all use in bridge to stop the car other than using handbrake?
Please use handbrake on slops other than the old technique

1.The technique is because there was no good quality handbrakes initially in old cars,
2.you will get your clutch worn out very quickly by using this technique
3.handbrake is the facility the car company gives you for comfort driving. so make use of it
4.the slop test is no more for LMVs licence now.

you are going to get used of those simple things very soon need no worry. all the best.

Hey guys , I too have some doubts .

1. Please explain what is Over steer and Under-steer concepts.
We have a member 'Jihu', his signature is the best explanation of over and under steer. Let me recite his signature(as much I remember):
Oversteer is hitting the wall from back and Understeer is hitting the wall from front. Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you push the wall.
In case you haven't got it then kindly feel free to ask me to explain it(with reasons and all).

Since am an enthusiast and like to push my bikes on sharp turns i thought same cornering technic are applied to even 4 wheel...................... spills and many more ...?
See buddy, the thing you are mentioning is mostly observed in RWD turbocharged cars with spiky power delivery. while Ertiga is FWD.
So here let us take your point:
In the FWD cars, loosing the line can be more dangerous than RWD vehicles. Why? Because driving wheels as well as directing ones are front and if rear is out of control then you you simply can't control it using your accelerator pedal and hence the situation is very tricky, in fact nearly out of control if the speed is good and the vehicle you are driving is not a low slung sedan.
So first of all say thanks to God that road was clear ahead and secondly promise yourself to be careful at it next time.
  • Since your car is new, so I rule out the 'bald rear tyres' point.
  • Were tyres perfectly inflated BTW?? If the rear starts moving it's way then under-inflated tyres can result in disaster. Why? Because of the difference in grip levels, already while turning the tyre towards outside has to take a lot of pressure(Shift of center of gravity + Centrifugal force + Friction) and if the tyre is under inflated then the grip levels are not desirable at least. And yes, maximum grip on turns is provided by perfectly inflated tyre only, neither over nor under.
See buddy, the steps generally taken in such situation are back off the throttle and control using wheel. DON'T touch the clutch or brake at any cost until the vehicle again comes back in straight line, let the engine brake for you and provide you grip. Avoid any kind of heavy steering input even if your car is gonna bruise anything as the heavy steering input will only worsen the situation(you really will never want to mess up with forces of nature).

Simple and straight(in desi style): Clutch separates the gearbox from engine, the power being transmitted is limited at the engine itself giving you time for shifting the gear.

Best braking is engine + pedal or say, no need to press the clutch until the speed if fallen to a level where the engine may get bogged down in the current gear.
So next time you brake, no need to touch the clutch until the speed becomes low enough to get the engine stalled in the gear the vehicle is running. This is even more applicable for cars without ABS.

Press the pedal.

Best braking is engine + pedal or say, no need to press the clutch until the speed if fallen to a level where the engine may get bogged down in the current gear.
So next time you brake, no need to touch the clutch until the speed becomes low enough to get the engine stalled in the gear the vehicle is running. This is even more applicable for cars without ABS.
Press the pedal.
Vipul, can you please elaborate what steps to stop the car when it's at a speed of 100KMPH and stopping distance is say 100 meter.

I start pressing brake, releasing the gas paddle and same time putting pressure on clutch. When car comes at 40KM, I will put in neutral and then at 20 KM will engage 2nd gear and then get it rolled effortlessly till Toll window.

We have a member 'Jihu', his signature is the best explanation of over and under steer. Let me recite his signature(as much I remember):
Oversteer .......

....for you and provide you grip. Avoid any kind of heavy steering input even if your car is gonna bruise anything as the heavy steering input will only worsen the situation(you really will never want to mess up with forces of nature).....
Thank You very much Vipul for this info , Its gona help me a lot while driving my Ertiga around corners .

and going by your explanation , Do you mean that Over-steer is when car goes sideways due to too much Throttle inputs . ( mean Rear wheel are trying to overtake Front wheel in RWD) . And Under-Steer is when Car hits the divider or say Overshoots due to too much power in FWD ? (hope am correct this time )

Vipul, can you please elaborate what steps to stop the car when it's at a speed of 100KMPH and stopping distance is say 100 meter.

I start pressing brake, releasing the gas paddle and same time putting pressure on clutch. When car comes at 40KM, I will put in neutral and then at 20 KM will engage 2nd gear and then get it rolled effortlessly till Toll window.
There are couple of ways you could do, one way is lift off the gas immediately(offcourse be wary of the traffic around) and coast in gear, engine braking will slow you down gradually, shift gears lower as your speed lowers and eventually couple it with brake pedal input press clutch(to avoid engine dying out) and go to neutral. If you can minimize brake pedal inputs you increase its life and also your FE largely (but dont downshift too early too , balance it out).

What i also do(with a large caveat on safety) especially near toll booths and impending speed breakers on roads i know, is to put in neutral and let it coast , aerodynamics will slow it down but there is no engine braking so it is not as much as above , the car will slow down eventually to a 30-40 crawl(assuming you are wary of traffic around) , and i will silently shift to a lower gear and come to a halt at the booth as above.
Offcourse coasting in neutral in a slope is not advisable as you will gain speed which will lead to eventually you not being in full control. So do this when you are only fully aware of traffic situation/hazards/ risks/ gradient. Coasting largely increases FE, this is a well known fact, but keep safety a higher priority.

Edit:- Not in the context of a 100m braking criteria but more of a 1 km or more. misread your question sorry.

Last edited:
At 100km/hr, under maximum braking (read life and death emergency), you will only barely be able to stop within 100m.

I am sure you don't want your vehicle to be subjected to this torture at every toll booth!

As far as possible, you should not be coasting in neutral. Engaging neutral and keeping the clutch pressed are both the same thing.

I think I misunderstood your query about parking with straight wheels.

The less the movements while parking, the better driver you are. Although, I guess your goal is not to be a driver but to get home safely. So, I suppose with more practice you will get better at parking which means less tooing and froing, although it really does not matter as long as you don't nick other cars.
Hi I have a question here you mentioned that coasting in neutral and keeping clutch pressed are same thing.
I have a habit of coasting in neutral on highways when im at high speed find a toll naka is about 1000m ahead.
So is coasting in neutral a bad practice?Kindly someone elaborate [confused]

Thank You very much Vipul for this info , Its gona help me a lot while driving my Ertiga around corners .
I am humbled[:D]

and going by your explanation , Do you mean that Over-steer is when car goes sideways due to too much Throttle inputs . ( mean Rear wheel are trying to overtake Front wheel in RWD) . And Under-Steer is when Car hits the divider or say Overshoots due to too much power in FWD ? (hope am correct this time )
Oversteer: Going too much sideways due to sudden or very high throttle input in RWD cars or due to unresolved dynamics in FWD cars. Basically in this the rear part of the car goes out of line, something like we can see in drifting.
Understeer: Basically the nose is unable to change the direction upto desirable levels due to various reasons. Throttle input while turning in case of FWD cars saves from understeer instead of being reason for it.

Hi I have a question here you mentioned that coasting in neutral and keeping clutch pressed are same thing.
I have a habit of coasting in neutral on highways when im at high speed find a toll naka is about 1000m ahead.
So is coasting in neutral a bad practice?Kindly someone elaborate [confused]
I am sure you are one of those who can't keep to their lanes everytime there's a small curve or a bend on national highways.

Generally, you should brake into a corner and accelerate out of it. Now, since your engine is cut-off (coasting in neutral), you can't accelerate out of the corner. You will understeer and go whereever the road takes you. So, if your lane is sloping into the lane next to to you, your car will move into the next lane. There's really nothing you can do about it. Of course, there won't be a driver who isn't looking straight everytime you cross into the wrong lane, but it needs to happen only once!

This, apart from the fact that at 100km/h, while coasting, I don't think you would be able to stop in time even if you spot the hazard 150m away.

I am sure you are one of those who can't keep to their lanes everytime there's a small curve or a bend on national highways.

Generally, you should brake into a corner and accelerate out of it. Now, since your engine is cut-off (coasting in neutral), you can't accelerate out of the corner. You will understeer and go whereever the road takes you. So, if your lane is sloping into the lane next to to you, your car will move into the next lane. There's really nothing you can do about it. Of course, there won't be a driver who isn't looking straight everytime you cross into the wrong lane, but it needs to happen only once!

This, apart from the fact that at 100km/h, while coasting, I don't think you would be able to stop in time even if you spot the hazard 150m away.
Dude you have misunderstood my question...

No, im not one of those who keeps changing lanes, i maintain Lane discipline and always make it a point to give indicator signals(And all necessary precautions) just in case i require to change lanes.

My Question was is coasting harmful for the vehicle?For eg when travelling on mum-pune expressway you are normally travelling at 100km/h and you can spot the toll from well over a km and half.In such situations i shift into neutral and use the existing speed to reach till the toll naka.Is such coasting harmful?
I was of the view that this beahviour will help me save some fuel [:)]

Dude you have misunderstood my question...

No, im not one of those who keeps changing lanes, i maintain Lane discipline and always make it a point to give indicator signals(And all necessary precautions) just in case i require to change lanes.

My Question was is coasting harmful for the vehicle?For eg when travelling on mum-pune expressway you are normally travelling at 100km/h and you can spot the toll from well over a km and half.In such situations i shift into neutral and use the existing speed to reach till the toll naka.Is such coasting harmful?
I was of the view that this behavior will help me save some fuel [:)]
Coasting in 'N' is not harmful to engine or any other part of the vehicle , BUT it is an dangerous practice , i request you to stop doing this. On slow (crawling speed one can understand) but in high speeds Engine braking plays a major role , Plus your brake pads / disks will worn out sooner than you expect due to excess braking , and I'm sure in case of panic situations You will lock up your wheels in no time .

Well guys I have personally never followed coasting in my life, though sometimes I have done just to check the maximum possible speed the car can catch from 0 or 100 at some particular sections of road without any use of throttle(or say by coasting).
Why I don't follow coasting? Reason is simple, lack of engine braking, comparatively lesser feeling of control and hence lesser confidence and not to mention, the grip levels also feel lesser.

So experts, kindly for once highlight the list of pros and cons of coasting for us, if possible.

Top Bottom