Driving Through Bangalore Traffic

Very true! I was taking a left turn and a biker come from that road to take a right turn cuts the corner and expect me to move to the right to let him way. When I block his way, he stare at me as if I have to let him cut corner. I made him move back and went on my way.

The main problem is that people do not know the basic traffic rules.

Then there are those who know the rules but prefer to take short cuts, thereby causing a traffic jam. what do you do to them.

There was this smart guy who overtakes all the cars waiting in a narrow road for traffic jam to clear, to come head on to the bus coming on the opposite side. Then he puts the left indicator and tries to cut in front of me. When I stop him and rolled down my window and asked him what he was trying to do, he says "sorry, didn't see the traffic." I told him that it was his problem and asked him to reverse to let the bus pass and went on my way.
If i was in this situation and had a good monstrous MM540 or a Classic with the bull bars of the front i would have definitely kissed his bike and would have shown the taste of those bars and would get into an heated discussion!

Are all of us, following the rule, idiots? Sometimes I wish I was driving a bulldozer
That is being proved in our roads day by day! We do not even have right to have a talk in front of those literally scene creating fools [frustration]

After 9.30/10PM no cabbie, BMTC driver, auto drivers follow the traffic lights. I have been in so many embarrassing situations where I just stop at a Red signal at night (esp in ORR) and auto driver, cabbie behind me keeps on honking as if I have done a grave mistake by stopping myself at the signal. I have seen many cabbies, buses just overtaking me and passing through without honoring the signals. They don't understand they are putting many lives at stake here.
In one such instance especially at the Marathahalli signal (from ORR bylane to Old Airport raod), the signal was Red (around 9.30PM on a Sunday) and this cabbie behind me was honking like the world has come to an end. I lost my cool, came out of the car and asked him whether he was blind and why the hell he cannot wait until the signal turns green. He had no answer, just kept staring at me, a very young fellow (no other passenger in the cab) and finally told me he thought since there was no traffic I can break the signal and so can he!! [frustration]

Hmm so many comments as driving vehicle.

Another shocking incidences as a pedestrian, the moment they see a pedestrian crossing the road, they further speed up.

But i am used to the Bangalore traffic, i don't take it seriously, nor my blood boils in which ever traffic i am driving.

There is also a huge difference in the attitude from those Auto/cabiiies when ur in a Big car vs small.
I usually drive my Wifes Alto in city to beat parking/quick shoppin situations and this is when I usually see the difference. When Im in my Bolero, I get my way as soon as i honk or flash my light but in Alto. Hahah you know how they treat.

I normally do not expect anybody to give me way. I make my own way and don't let anyone cut me, be it a SUV or a cab. So, I don't feel any difference between driving a zen or manza. I follow the rules and never feel intimidated by a bigger vehicle (exception - Bangalore Volvo buses)

There is also a huge difference in the attitude from those Auto/cabiiies when ur in a Big car vs small.
I usually drive my Wifes Alto in city to beat parking/quick shoppin situations and this is when I usually see the difference. When Im in my Bolero, I get my way as soon as i honk or flash my light but in Alto. Hahah you know how they treat.
That is a very valid point.And thanks to Killer looks of Bolero(I must admit that even i give way to Boleros and Scorps except cabbies).

BMTC has to do something for lowering the speed of Volvos(like lowering BHPs and torques),else these Maniacs will have a great day abusing us.

@Vishwas
I got the news from Tv9, BMTC is in talks with Volvo on the spead limits. Hope this is implemented soon.
The question is will this speed limt makes any sense in their driving skills

Thread Starter #24
True Krish, they can impose speed limits. But what about those volvo drivers cutting lanes like a two wheeler, blocking each other in bus stops, "showing off" their power brake capabilities. Even yesterday night on my way home, a 500c Volvo was blocking my way standing in the left lane, where he had to take a right turn, in Graphite India signal, where I had to go straight. My Roots horn didnt even move him an inch. I had to as usual wait for a good 5 mins for my next turn. [frustration]
If I am not wrong, the speed limit was implemented for all the yellow board vehicles couple of years ago, but dont see that in the road tough.

Another incident today morning - Near the Big Bazaar in Old Madras Road. A host of two wheelers were driving on the payment and when there is a portion of the payment which paves way to big bazaar for a few metres and all these two wheelers driving in the pavement, decided to come down to the road for a change and I had to brake hard for a couple of times to avoid getting T-Boned.

For the past couple of days too much of traffic on IRR? Reason, the challagatta entrance to Embassy Golf links business park is "completely" closed due to BWSSB work which is going for the past 1 year and more. All the vehicles entering EGL have to use only the IRR entrance for - god-knows-when-BWSSB-will-complete-its-work[confused]

@Vishwas
I got the news from Tv9, BMTC is in talks with Volvo on the spead limits. Hope this is implemented soon.
The question is will this speed limt makes any sense in their driving skills
BMTC is ordering Volvo to give buses with lower HP but i hope they won't attach a speed governor in this vehicle.

Another irritating thing is the bikers squeezing through the gap between 2 cars waiting at the signal to go to another lane. I have got some scratches due to this. Sometimes I feel like raming him against the car in front.
Very rightly said. This along with left hand overtaking is a menace on the road.. [frustration] Nowadays whenever I stop at a signal, I ensure to leave just about a foot between the front car and mine (not buses & lorries of course); just to avoid any biker from squeezing through the gap. I know this is not safe but I believe the overall damage would be much lesser compared to a biker scratching my bumper. [;)]

Another menace is the pedestrians crossing the roads almost anywhere.. I have faced this more on the Bannerghatta road and BTM ring road stretch.. You have to be always on alert not to run over any of those... [drive]

Can we as conscious drivers/riders/citizens do something to make city driving a more pleasurable, safe and peaceful experience???

Now this is a very right question.
What should we do to make Bangalore a better place to drive and How.
Any thoughts from anyone?

@krish go -

I work for a hardware company in Bagmane Tech Park, CV Raman Nagar. And I stay 20 km away, in MICO layout after Boomanahalli. Save on fuel bill and tension this way.

@ramG

There are some wise bikers who will even try to squeezing through the one foot gap that you leave (like the turn the wheel into the gap and give you look, like saying, why cant you move back a little so I can pass through). [frustration]

Top Bottom