Driving the Beast Named Ritz in Fuel Efficient Manner

Thread Starter #1
Hello all,

Well it is a well know fact that that RITZ diesel is no short of power and yet surprises every1 with a fantastic mileage. But i have few doubts about riding this machine in a fuel efficient manner.

It is global advice that to save fuel we need to....
- Shift up as quick as possible as possible at lower rpm
- Not to pedal the acceleration but to slowly raise your speed

Now here's the problem when it comes to RITZ, its turbocharger kicks in only at 2000 rpm, and I'm telling you it is a delight to feel the turbo push! But with the above suggestion I rarely hit 2000 rpm (i.e. 80kmph @ 5th gear)....

Hence my question is, as i am missing out on turbo at lower gears, my fuel efficiency is dropping?? Do u suggest i rev upto 2k rpm+ and then shift up?? PLzz help

Hello Karthikkheb welcome to TAI. Turbo lag is a common problem with all diesels , you will have to adjust with it inside city conditions.

I think revving upto 2k mark should not affect the FE of your car , i consider 2k as the normal shifting time in my Verna.

mileage is km per litre. which relates how much you have rolled your wheels.
if you travel less distance for amount of fuel burnt you get less mileage. which includes ac,traffic blocks,low speed driving etc.

ironically , if you shift too early engine will require to work more to pull the gross. which means low rpm and more fuel into engine which goes unburned mostly.

you need to follow trial and error method to figure out the best.

in my punto if i religiously follow 65-70kmph on highway she returns23-26kmpl which is 1800rpm 5th gear.
in city 30-45 kmph in 3rd or 4th gear again1700-1800rpm she returns 18-20kmpl.

so maintaining 1800 rpm i get an average mileage of 19-20 kmpl city+hw driving

anything above or below the said rpm proves dear to FE.

ps: the mid have instantaneous consumption which shows fluctuations while acting on pedal which is a huge benefit.

Thread Starter #4
Hey,
Thanq soo much for such a quick reply :)

I'm probably off for a 500km odd trip soon, will try revving this time, and check how did it fair on the FE :)

Top Bottom