Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I find that a lot of drivers, especially of 2 wheelers drive for a short distance on the wrong side of the road because of the existence of the Road divider. These people take a lot of risk to save a few pennies and in doing so put

A. their own and other commuters' lives at risk.
B. Create chaos on the road.

The cost of going along the road and then turning at the correct point in the road divider entails just a small change literally. I mean if one calculates the money saved for a detour of an average 300 meters, it works out at 30 paise approximately for a average 2 wheeler. In contrast, an accident costs a lot lot more.

Any ideas as to how to encourage people to avoid driving on the wrong side? Or should we just keep on having the "Chalta Hai" attitude?

Keep driving safe.

B.

Since you are from Mumbai, if you know Hiranandani in Powai, it is a small residential area. I was once in my Scorpio. One side of the road was jammed on the opposite side. many vehicles were driving on the wrong side (my lane) which caused a further jam. as soon as my side cleared a little, I saw a qualis guy coming in my lane (wrong side for him). I went & straight away halted my car right in front of his.

Then I switched off my car, turned on the parking lights, lowered the windows, tilted my backrest & relaxed comfortably, right in front of his car blocking his way. He stood there for approx 5 mins & when he realized that I am not going to budge, he had to back up. There was a small cut in the divider right behind but I followed his car so closely that I dint allow him to get inside the right lane.

I forced him to back up all the way behind till the intersection, from where he had entered the wrong lane in the first place. Yes, he must have cursed me a lot but that is the way these morons should be taught a lesson.

Because of these people, they created a jam on both sides of the road.

I captured this pic on the hubli highway. I was astonished to see him on the wrong side of the highway when usually vehicles are on high speeds. I was watching him for almost a km untill he finally crossed the divider![anger]

Attachments

These are common with our gov't buses (especially BMTC and KSRTC) .

Now a days we can find many accidents caused by these buses in our city.

Me be 6month back,

In Trichy Highways near to Perambalur,one local Town bus went opposide direction & collided with Private Omni bus. more then 20 invaliable lifes are killed.

After seeing this kind of Incidents also,Still people not aware of his/her Life & others too.

I saw a qualis guy coming in my lane (wrong side for him). I went & straight away halted my car right in front of his.

Then I switched off my car, turned on the parking lights, lowered the windows, tilted my backrest & relaxed comfortably, right in front of his car blocking his way. He stood there for approx 5 mins & when he realized that I am not going to budge, he had to back up. There was a small cut in the divider right behind but I followed his car so closely that I dint allow him to get inside the right lane.

I forced him to back up all the way behind till the intersection, from where he had entered the wrong lane in the first place. Yes, he must have cursed me a lot but that is the way these morons should be taught a lesson.
Although a bit of co-operation is needed to drive here in India,I understand selfish drivers should be taught a lesson once in a while.

A week back on Ring road in Bangalore(at around 8 evening) a guy on a moped(wrong way) nudged a couple on a bike next to me & stopped in front on my car(blocking me) & started abusing the couple although they were silent.I lost my temper & honked at him till he shut up & moved.Best part was no headlight or helmet.

I am quite a polite driver & gotten into a verbal confrontation only once in last 6 years,but some road users are just plain selfish & there is always a limit for tolerance.

Last edited:
Well well well..
I am really very happy to see that even our calm guy RAJ too follows the same methods as I follow many times.(Now I can have a debate with him..[evil])

@Serrao:
It is a very common sight here and you will find buses doing even 80-90 kph on the wrong side with they simply flashing their lights at the oncoming traffic.
If anybody knows about the Muzaffarnagar byepass on the NH 58 then he may be knowing this.

Dangerous, report such incidence to Local polices FB page with a photograph- In pune police do take action against them.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is very risky for life for both the side drivers, by seeing the pictures i feel that government should take action for such driving in highways.

Have you guys been to Tamilnadu Highways? The vehicles come in the opposite direction in the 4 lane road where they will be at far right lane(our lane) thinking that there maybe a breakthrough and can switch swiftly to their lane,which is very dangerous.

[shock] Whoa,to do that with an Innova in such cramped streets !,That engine would have over heated in some time i feel,no air passing the intercooler & radiator.

Last edited:
Luckily that guy was fined sum 1.5k..is that enough? No!!

Power is in your hands, dont allow others to bully you out or your lane. Stop your car and honk like hell even if you have to hold up the entire traffic. Its fun and refreshing plus you get to see the look on the driver's face..:D

This video was reported to the traffic police page in fb - chennai and was fined.
i remember it was arkin - member , reported it with the number to the traffic police page.

Wrong side driving esp in the 4 lane road is widely practiced. its damn shocking to find a truck or bus[mostly] when we are cruising at 100kmph. These buses risk life thinking they are saving fuel and time instead to long u-turn

On top of that , if any accident occurs , police do divert in wrong lane . Eg , regular pondy- chennai traveller or chennai trichy traveller knows that the roads are fully laid and functional. so we do not expect a vehicle in same lane in opposite direction.

One of my friend lost his class mate , when his bike collided head on with the truck , which was diverted by police due to a accident in the opposite lane. these two closely following a bus came out to its right to over take it just to be hit by a speeding truck - truck in wrong lane [their fault following closely a bus , and overtaking without a proper view expecting no vehicle as in 4 lane]

the rider lost life then and there and my friend pillion on his own bike survived with both the leg fracture. the bike? it burnt in the impact.

Last edited:

Top Bottom