Driving on Hills - Do's and Don'ts!!

Quoting the post by our member Singh890 from an another thread. Without any doubt, very much valuable piece of tips it is:
Thanks buddy and also few parking tips on hilly region. Maybe you have covered it, if yes then i might have missed it.

PARKING on Hills.
If you are parking on a incline your front tires should always be turned in the direction opposite to the curb and if parking on a downhill than the front tires should be turned in the direction of the curb.

This prevents the vehicle from rolling back or down if in case your brakes get disengaged and in both the situations your tires will hit the curb and stop the vehicle.

Thread Starter #32
Thanks buddy and also few parking tips on hilly region. Maybe you have covered it, if yes then i might have missed it.

PARKING on Hills.
If you are parking on a incline your front tires should always be turned in the direction opposite to the curb and if parking on a downhill than the front tires should be turned in the direction of the curb.

This prevents the vehicle from rolling back or down if in case your brakes get disengaged and in both the situations your tires will hit the curb and stop the vehicle.
Thanks a lot buddy for those valuable tips.

I never even thought of this chapter that parking style also can be important because all I do while parking on hills is handbrake+gear and vehicle is parked, never even thought of steering.
Will now adapt this one also in my driving, this is really very important from the safety point of view, especially when you are driving a car equipped with discs all round.

Thanks a lot buddy for those valuable tips.

I never even thought of this chapter that parking style also can be important because all I do while parking on hills is handbrake+gear and vehicle is parked, never even thought of steering.
Will now adapt this one also in my driving, this is really very important from the safety point of view, especially when you are driving a car equipped with discs all round.
Wonderful thread Vipul.

Let me add two cents, while parking on slope with bonnet facing downwards, engage the reverse gear and park along with hand brake.

When you are parking on slope with bonnet facing upwards engage the 1st gear along with handbrake.

This is what I usually follow when stopping in hilly areas.

Thread Starter #34
Let me add two cents, while parking on slope with bonnet facing downwards, engage the reverse gear and park along with hand brake.

When you are parking on slope with bonnet facing upwards engage the 1st gear along with handbrake.

This is what I usually follow when stopping in hilly areas.
Even I too follow exactly same, in fact I am taught to follow the same but will now add this steering part too in my style just as a precaution.
But yes, having drum brakes really help while parking a vehicle loaded with passengers on a slope(especially when it's steep) as the discs are not as strong when it comes to holding the car and once the car starts rolling you need to push the pedal else the handbrake is near useless in many all round disc equipped cars.

I don't know whether it suits here or not, but i wanted to share few pictures which i have during driving in hilly areas. As i am driving in hills since i learned the ABC of driving, i just enjoy every single bit of it. [:D] [drive]

Attachments

I don't know whether it suits here or not, but i wanted to share few pictures which i have during driving in hilly areas. As i am driving in hills since i learned the ABC of driving, i just enjoy every single bit of it. [:D] [drive]
Why did you get the verna? Why not an SUV?[:)]. The car does not look happy rallying

Hhmmm, you got me friend. [;)] I was thinking of buying a SUV first but as i am not a big fan of SUV's i just like Tata Safari in all of them, but that was not considered because at that time Storme was not launched and old model was outdated IMO & personally i do not like Scorpio.
I just wanted to buy a good looking car and was crazy about this new Verna Fluidic and rest is in front of you, Yes i too hate to use it like a SUV but i love to do so... as i have said it earlier i am enjoying every single bit of it. [;)]

i always wonder how to cross on hilly road very narrow and you are on cliff side, inches away from road,we can't measure our left side properly ( so properly in inches) If i'm alone in car then how to proceed?

For a Free lesson on good driving -Hill or plain-visit Sri Lanka-amazing!-Everyone looks like us but the same everyone follows traffic rules to a fault! Up and downhill superb driving-giving way to up-hill traffic, narrow roads in hills enough for 2 vehicles due to polite and vv patient driving. No breaking the pedestrian crossings if someone is crossing and no crossing the middle of the road-seems like elementary stuff but something completely alien to us!

Dear All,
The tips shared are wonderful and comes with experience only. I am planning my maiden trip to hills of west bengal and sikkim in 2 wheeler.

Please suggest additional things to remember apart from the points mentioned for 4 wheelers.

Thread Starter #42
Dear All,
The tips shared are wonderful and comes with experience only. I am planning my maiden trip to hills of west bengal and sikkim in 2 wheeler.

Please suggest additional things to remember apart from the points mentioned for 4 wheelers.
Sirji while riding two wheelers one needs to follow all the tips mentioned for 4 wheelers along with a couple of safety tips like:
  • Being very slow on loose surfaces
  • Keeping in right lane always and ride to your limits not of motorcycles'
  • Don't let your two wheeler catch insane speeds while coming downhill.
  • Always strip on and take care that tires, brakes and all mechanicals are perfectly fine.

Rest ride safe and arrive safe.

Thread Starter #45
Which kind of vehicle is best for hill driving----Petrol or Diesel??
Both are equally good actually, having a big hearted diesel is better though. Petrol is all about quick progress after the vehicle is on move while diesel is all about good torque to pull the vehicle easily even from uphill standstills.

Top Bottom