Driving in City: Do's and Don'ts.

How many of you avoid some road and take alternative road when you see the road was fully crowded?
Im using that its good to take some 2 kms longer road for 5 kms if you feel avoiding traffic

Rajvel said:
How many of you avoid some road and take alternative road when you see the road was fully crowded?
Im using that its good to take some 2 kms longer road for 5 kms if you feel avoiding traffic
I am doing that daily.
My factory is about 5 km but with great traffic. So i always drive on alternate route which is about 8km.
On long route, i hardly have to press break paddle. And on short route i hardly cross 25km in a month.

Was coming down froma flyover at night, streetlights were off, unfortunately, had forgotten to switch on my head lights and bang, my left bumper touched the barricades and they fell down, anyway, no harm done.

Cut the long story short,
Check if headlights are on if driving at night.

Was coming down froma flyover at night, streetlights were off, unfortunately, had forgotten to switch on my head lights and bang, my left bumper touched the barricades and they fell down, anyway, no harm done.

Cut the long story short,
Check if headlights are on if driving at night.
[lol] I can understand that sometimes one can forget to Turn on Head Lights if there is ample amount of lights present in Xyz road/area. But how did you forgot to On Head Lamps in No Street Lights zone .[lol][frustration]

[lol] I can understand that sometimes one can forget to Turn on Head Lights if there is ample amount of lights present in Xyz road/area. But how did you forgot to On Head Lamps in No Street Lights zone .[lol][frustration]
Well was in South Bombay, entire area was very well lit, hence I forgot. This stretch of 500 mts was not lit at all.

also add this
1. never drive behind a female driver
Panditji, o dear Pandit ji , how do you identify female drivers from behind.?[glasses]

Actually bus drivers have became habitual of bullying the other road users.

But they have one good habit too.You blow your horn and he will definitely look into the ORVM.

I myself take advantage of this habit of them.
They look in to the ORVM, just confirm if it's a car with red beacon or their officers vehicle.I have talked with one of the bus driver.

sethumurugan;21089 [LIST said:
[*]Most of the trucks wont have tail lamp. You will never notice a vehicle is in your front till you reaches him close. This will be scary in curves.
[*]There will not be any reflection stickers also. Even if they have one, it would reflect nothing because of dust in the Lorry
[*]They park where ever they have got problem. The worst part is none of the lorrys has hazard warning reflector [triangle one] which can be placed some meters before the incident place. If you most of the accident cases will be like moving vehicle would have dashed to the parked vehicle.
[/LIST]

There are some more points but i could n't recollect.
It's safe to follow a state transport bus (atleast in Maharashtra, most of the buses have working tail lamp)rather than a truck.

Most of the trucks have atleast 2 red trianglar reflector s stuck permanently to its back and 2 on its front. When there is a breakdown they do not place a single hazard warning tringle nearby, instead they use small branches of a tree (green !!!) such is the irony. Worst part is that they never bother to remove big stones placed behind the tyres , when the truck moves away.[evil]

Guys one question
What will you do when a car in front of you dont give any way for let you go even if you have enough space in the left side of the road.
Never overtake from left, unless there is '2 lane ' space available, otherwise it may lead to loss of ' no claim bonus'
Also, It is possible that the errant driver is drunk.

What i do generally If its night time then try to drive right behind him (while keeping some distance) Start you High beam , and If driver adjust his mirrors (Center and ORVM's) then use Headlight level adjuster knob and adjust your beam according t his mirrors .
This sounds impressive , I will try it definitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please follow the traffic lights in cities. I have seen a few very horrible mishaps in front of my eyes when people just ignore the red light getting t-boned and head on collision.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
no one allow me to drive 4wheelers in city limits as they says tat u still need to learn a lot
but one thing is i never crossed 70+ at flyover silkboard to electronics city
as cany say when the inceptors are around

2) wont go behind autos or maxicab ppls
3 dont try to take ur 2wheelr on footbath traffic polices will charge u 300rs for tat

Drive safe and sober

The presence of alcohol in your blood will retard the brain’s ability to pay divided attention while driving (position of your vehicle relative to nearby vehicles, lane positing, speed etc.).

A drunken driver’s eyes will collect information only from the middle of the visual field and will totally miss the peripheral view, meaning that the crash is imminent.

So please DRIVE SAFE AND SOBER.

387630_10151157643971234_1923054102_n.jpg

Source : Indian Autos Blog FB Page

Most will do this, but the real problem is road is known well crowded only when we reach it, & usually it is difficult to detour then & take alternate route. However nowadays in metro cities, many FM radios intermittently broadcast recent information on road block, accidents, bumper to bumper to traffic, one may take advantage of it.

It's safe to follow a state transport bus (atleast in Maharashtra, most of the buses have working tail lamp)rather than a truck.

Never overtake from left, unless there is '2 lane ' space available, otherwise it may lead to loss of ' no claim bonus'
In my state, ST buses & heavy trucks are predictable & dependable, but worst are luxury buses & liquid laden trucks.

Also, on 2+2 lanes road, its always common to overtake from left if car/heavy vehicle is in right lane & left lane empty. No more honking or headlight deeper. No offence taken. On 3+3 lane highways, trucks usually occupy middle lane, & you overtake from right or left, no offence taken. Who has time to honk or enlight vehicle ahead, wait till he goes to left & then we overtake from right.

The presence of alcohol in your blood will retard the brain’s ability to pay divided attention while driving (position of your vehicle relative to nearby vehicles, lane positing, speed etc.).
Alcohol is single most reason of accident to prevent most easily. Rightly said, drive safe & sober. Innovations are going on to implement breath analyzer in cars, that prevent cars from starting if driver's BA report is positive for alcohol.

To add to this beautiful compilation of safe driving tips in city - during monsoon, in city roads having road divider, often water is collected on one side of road. It is socially embracing for pedestrians & two wheelers, & as well risky for car drivers to drive speedily through such water collection. I had seen as well as self experienced that while water wading, sometime water splashed to front windshield with temporary vision loss & often speed is reduced with momentary traction loss, both can result in heart throbbing & may unwanted problem.

Last edited:

Top Bottom