Driving Comfort - Hatchback

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I would like members to help me short list a hatchback (Diesel/petrol) with maximum driving comfort for the body (back, thighs, knees). My budget is 5.5 lacs.

I would be driving the car 70-80 kms per day in delhi during peak office hours{morning/evening bumper to bumper} and on weekends also. My heart is for a diesel hatch back. But I have heard diesel cars have tighter clutch putting more strain on ankles,knees and thigh resulting in lot of pain. Even though diesel would help me save a lot on cost but I would not like to suffer in pain while driving.

CNG was not considered because it will take out boot space completely.

Your Budget: 5.5 lacs

Your Location: Delhi

Top 5 Priorities: seat comfort for driving{back and thigh}, low manit, after sales support, AC, Power steering.

Monthly Running: 70-80 km daily in delhi city. occasionally highways.

For Which Purpose:office and personal

Max. Seating Capacity: 4-5

Priority of Fuel Type: diesel or petrol.

Body Type:hatchback.

My preference are-

1.) Indica ev2-
2.) Indica Vista
3.) Ritz ldi
4.) Beat diesel LT
5.) santro gl plus/ wagon r vx - if they are more comfortable while driving in bumper to pumper traffic in delhi.

I considered Indica ev2 and vista since its being used widely as taxi, and might be comfortable while driving also. I have sat in indica v2 rear seat and found them very comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indica ev2 has one of the most uncomfortable driving positions. The high steering wheel and the high-set pedals would be stressful, especially on the ankle. But they are suited for the city use though, if you can get used to the pedals.

I'm not sure about Vista. Go for a TD to see how comfortable it is to drive. It has a great engine and ride comfort, with space as a bonus compared to other cars in the list.

Santro/wagon r with its petrol engine, should be easier to drive in traffic, but given your usage, they would prove expensive. I suggest you to drive Vista, Beat and Ritz (all have the same engine with different state of tune and specs), Beat will be most economical but Ritz will be easier to maintain, and Vista has the space.

Indica eV2 & Vista is uncomfortable for the same reasons mentioned by Crazy Cat above. Though these two cars have good seats and are very spacious. With the Quadrajet engine (Multijet of FIAT), its pretty responsive, refined & efficient as well. Reliability is a concern with TATAs though.

Santro & Wagon R does not come with diesel engines.

When compared to the Beat & Ritz, I find the Ritz to be more comfortable. So, out of the list, I would pick the Ritz.

Why are you not considering the Ford Figo? You may have to stretch your budget a little.

Buddy,

Since driving comfort is you top priority, I would have suggested you Hyundai i10 Sportz 1.2 AT Kappa2 (ex-showroom : Rs. 5,11,925). But when I see your daily running of 70-80kms then it warrants for a diesel. I guess you can look at Figo diesel or Beat diesel. If petrol is ok then my first choice would be i10 auto.

freakdude.

Ritz with its tall boy design will give you more comfort than others. Beat's small small seat squab does not give proper underthigh support.

Having said that, comfort is a subjective thing and one should physically check before finalizing. Also don't forget to play with seat/steering adjustment.

If the driving comfort is priority, then i would strongly recommend you Ritz diesel. It will fall in your budget, has roomy interior (atleast the front), and a proven engine which is doing duty under the hood of most of the compact hatchbacks sold in India.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks you all for your valuable inputs. Please inform, if diesel cars clutches can really have an impact on the left leg {as compared to a petrol one}after driving in a city like delhi during peak office hours. where sometimes traffic is bumper-bumper.

Don't compare 2 different cars. please inform about for example Ritz LXI and LDI ? which will be more comfortable after both cars have run for 20k km?

My friends is currently having a severe thigh pain for last 3 weeks after driving in bumper-bumper traffic . So I am a bit worried about it before I buy a new car.

also inform "The high steering wheel and the high-set pedals would be stressful, especially on the ankle. But they are suited for the city use though, if you can get used to the pedals. ".. does that mean Indica is good for city driving for you legs but not your hands?

many thanks

If you are okay to look at Petrol hatchbacks i would suggest you the A-Star AT or i10 AT. Since your driving is maximum during peak hour bumper to bumper traffic AT will be more comfortable. Sadly there are no diesel hatchbacks with AT.

If looking at diesel out of your list i would suggest Ritz.

Modern day diesel cars are very good , most of the cars come with a soft clutch pedal. They may be slightly harder than Petrol cars but it won't be too much, take a TD to see if you are comfortable with it. Diesel cars have good low end and better driveability which should be useful in bumper to bumper traffic.

Thread Starter #10
thank you all for your help.. I get very less time for TDs. However I did a TD for Ritz lxi.. I found it's clutch is also not that great in a city drive for office hour traffic..maybe my height is 5'5.. not sure if that was the reason.. from other aspects I found it very comfortable while driving...terrific pickup and control while driving..

it will be a help if members can guide for a hatchback which has got soft clutches while driving.. i will TD firs those... My friend did TD of Chvy spark,, he found clutch very soft.. even better than Ritz lxi.. {although i don't believe it :) }[surprise].. i will do a personal TD of spark and see.

thanks

Top Bottom