Drive To Nandi Hills - Tips For a New Driver

Thread Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a new driver. I have driven 200kms so far in past 2 months. I am planning for a trip to Nandi Hills on May-1. How save is the route for a new driver like me?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I am a new driver. I have driven 200kms so far in past 2 months. I am planning for a trip to Nandi Hills on May-1. How save is the route for a new driver like me?

Thanks!
Hope you meant "How Safe"? What car do you drive. There are many do's and don't when you drive in hills.

Drive carefully.
Slot into lower gears when you take those bends.
Please honk before taking the bends, you can expect traffic on weekends.
In case if you are stopped on incline be prepared to stop it on half clutch without breaks. I hope you know the technigue of stoping a car in incline without brakes.
Check your brakes before the drive.

Enjoy the twists and nature..!

To add to what Raam has said, the down climb can be dangerous than the accent.
Too much of braking in slopes will lead to worn out brake pads.
Try to cut down speed by lowering gears downhill.
Other than that, I think you need to enjoy the drive more than to worry about the do's and the don'ts.. for that is what will make your first drive into the hills memorable, isnt it?? :stupid:

Last edited:
Need not worry. If someone honks, give way to pass. May -1, you can expect crowd as many got holiday.

If you feel the vehicle pulling less effective, always try 3rd or 2nd gear. Do not use brake while descending as many pointed out. Please use 2nd or 3rd gear while coming down. Do not panic. Give way.

We climbed Nandi on cycle last year. It has become really polluted.

Last but not the least : Do not feed monkeys.

You have not mentioned 'which car' you are driving.

I would say 200 KM is not enough driving experience to drive the Hill.The Nandhi hill is bit steep . So need to be very careful.
You need to be very good at gear ratio and clutch releasing. In hill driving, proper gear is most important or else your engine will end up in heating issue. But since Nandhi hill will be a comparatively less height,it will be ok. Just honk a lot for now during blind curve and go slowly.

I felt climbing Nandi Hills is a bit tougher task than to come back. Sometimes vehicles (mostly 4 wheeler) not able to climb the bends and suddenly pull over on the middle of the road. If you are following a vehicle please keep sufficient distance from it so that you control your car in case of any such incidents. Rest as members have suggested keep in mind.

NB-- Nandi Hill gate opens after 6AM only in the morning.

Thread Starter #9
Thank you all for your reply, suggestions and tips.
I have changed my plan. I am driving to Coorg tomorrow (Apr-27th) and coming back on 1st-May.
Will plan for Nandhi hills few months latter. I hope coorg is easy to drive for a new driver like me than Nandhi hills.

Thank you all for your reply, suggestions and tips.
I have changed my plan. I am driving to Coorg tomorrow (Apr-27th) and coming back on 1st-May.
Will plan for Nandhi hills few months latter. I hope coorg is easy to drive for a new driver like me than Nandhi hills.
Good way to start. You wont find any problem in Coorg (Madikeri roads) unless you take any deviation to some jungle resorts.

Bangalore to Srirangapatna is with median and you need not worry much.

Be careful about:
Humps near mandya - There are lots of humps when you reach Mandya.
Vehicle coming towards you in one way. Lots of Bullock carts and even two-wheelers / four wheelers. If you are able to maintain good speed, i suggest you to ride on the right most lane.

From Srirangapatna to Hunsur road (towards Kushal nagar), you may find some patchy roads. Less than 8 km.

Follow the traffic rules. Make sure you signal while you turn / overtaking.

Ride safe. Even if you reach an hour or two late, be safe.

Happy Journey. Have a wonderful time.

How was the trip buddy, how was your experience. I am also new to driving and completed some 200 odds only[;)]. I own HONDA Brio.

Taking cue from kirubasuthan, I drove my new Nano twice to Nandi Hills this month. I followed the suggestions/tips given in this thread sincerely (always giving way for fast moving vehicles, honking around the bends, driving in 1st and 2nd gear while going up, and driving in 2nd and 3rd gears while coming down).

The drive gave me immense confidence to drive the car. Only after driving on the sharp bends I got confidence to take the car into and out of a cellar parking in a mall.

Additionally, this drive gave me first opportunity to drive the car on long stretches without the city traffic.

Top Bottom