Dream Yuga – Honda’s First Mass Motorcycle in India

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Honda will release the much-awaited Dream Yuga Motorbike on 15 May 2012 in New Delhi that was showcased first at Auto Expo 2012. Powered by a 110cc Engine, this will be the first mass-motorcycle from the house of Honda in India. One of the major USPs of this bike is the claimed best-in-class fuel efficiency of 72 Kmpl and easy maintenance nature. Apart from it, Honda will also announce their new brand ambassador at event. Check out the images meanwhile we bring more action from launch.

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Black.jpg

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Blue.jpg

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Front-Suspension.jpg

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Green.jpg

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Rear.jpg

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Silencer.jpg

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Side.jpg

Honda-Dream-Yuga-Front.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

The bike look similar to the Shine.This could be another hit from the Honda.Taking lesson from their ex partner Hero.

Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India has just launched its new entry level product, that will sit beneath the CB Twister 110, in the form of the Dream Yuga 110. The 2012 Dream Yuga 110 will be Honda’s least priced motorcycle that is aimed out and out at the commuter motorcycle market. Essentially, a combination of the Honda CB Shine’s body and the CB Twister’s 110cc four stroke engine, the Dream Yuga 110 is what Honda will be banking on, to give it big volumes as the two wheeler maker now heads to the Indian hinterland to bump up its sales.

The Dream Yuga 110 is available in three variants, with the base version selling for INR 44,642, the mid version for INR 46,134 and the top end variant selling for INR 48,125, all prices reflecting ex-showroom Delhi figures. Honda, it seems has chosen to seek a premium for the Dream Yuga 110, leveraging the Honda brand. It will remain to be seen how the market reacts to this pricing as a similar pricing strategy for the CB Twister 110 worked moderately well although a lower price tag would have done wonders to the sales of the Twister.

Pricing aside, the engine that the Dream Yuga sports is touted to deliver a mileage of 72 Kmpl, which is a claim that seems quite un-realistic for real world conditions, where a 110cc four stroke economy motorcycle is usually expected to deliver at least 65 Kmpl. The 110cc four stroke air cooled engine features an OHC layout with two valves. It produces a peak power of 8.5 Bhp at 7.500 rpm and a peak torque of 8.91 Nm at 5,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a four speed manual gearbox. All in all, the engine specifications remain very similar to what the CB Twister 110 features.

Suspension remains the conventional telescopic front forks and the twin shock absorbers at the rear. Honda offers tube less tyres and alloy wheels on the Dream Yuga. Also, the customer can choose between the kick start and electric start variants of the motorcycle. A front disc brake is not even offered as optional with 130mm drum brakes handling retardation duties both at the front and the rear. The Dream Yuga 110 will be available in Honda showrooms across India by the first week of June, 2012. The Dream Yuga will be available in five different colors.

Akshay kumar has been signed in to promote this product.

Attachments

Pointers from the launch:

Honda’s new Slogan Sach Kar Denge Sapne
Honda Dream Yuga: Ek naya yug, ek naya dream
Honda has roped in Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar as the brand ambassador
Honda is setting up a new plant in Naraspura, Karnataka with production to start by 2013 and will increase total annual capacity to 40 lakh units
The Dream Yuga has the smallest turning radius.
The base variant of the Dream Yuga has kick start and spoke wheels. It is priced at Rs. 44,642/-, which is the cheapest bike by Honda India.
The mid variant has kick start and alloy wheels. It is priced at Rs. 46,134/-. The top end variant gets electric start and alloy wheels and is priced at Rs. 48,125/-.

Japanese two-wheeler major Honda, which rolled out its second mass segment motorcycle Dream Yuga here today, said it is planning to take the bike to overseas markets towards year-end.

"We plan to start (Dream Yuga) exports either from November or December this year," Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) president and chief executive Keita Muramatsu told reporters here today after the launch of the bike.

The company will look at the neighbouring markets such as Sri Lanka and Nepal for the Yuga exports to begin with, he said.

Priced at Rs 48,028 (ex-showroom, Mumbai), the Dream Yuga is powered by a 110-cc engine and comes in five colours and three variants.

The company, which sold 21.07 lakh motorcycles and scooters last fiscal, is aiming to sell 27.5 lakh units this fiscal, HMSI sales and marketing vice-president YS Guleria said.

"We are also looking at pushing up our market share by three notches from the present 15 per cent with the launch of the Dream Yuga," he added.

Sounding optimistic on growth despite choppy economic conditions, which have impacted domestic car sales to a significant extent in the current fiscal, Guleria said, "We have seen 50 per cent growth in the first two months of this fiscal. So, now with the dream Yuga in our product profile, we are quite confident of achieving the target."

The company has currently two manufacturing facilities, at Manaesar in Haryana and Alwar in Rajasthan, with a combined capacity of 2.8 million scooters and bikes per annum.

Its third plant at Narsapuram in Karnataka with a 1.2 million capacity is expected to be up and running from the second half of the next year.

Honda launches Dream Yuga; eyes 18% market share this year - The Economic Times

IN CONVERSATION: KEITA MURAMATSU OF HONDA MOTORCYCLES AND SCOOTERS INDIA

Questions posed to Keita Muramatsu

-Does Honda have plans of launching 400cc or 600cc motorcycles positioned at the sports motorcycle segment in India in the next year or so?
=Although this segment is doing well in South East Asia, we are currently concentrating on the Indian market where the customer looks out for more benefits for the value of his money. Since the split from Hero Motocorp, where they have the largest base of selling commuter bikes, Honda’s plan is to achieve that goal within the next 2 years. So for the next 2 years Honda is going to specifically concentrate on the 100CC/110CC commuter bike segment. That said and done, we don’t rule out introducing the 400CC/600CC bikes in the near future. They are closely studying the Indian market for the demand of the bikes from this segment and when its time to launch one of these, Honda will announce it appropriately.

-Recently, there have been rumors swirling around regarding Honda bringing an on-0ff road motorcycle based on the Honda CBR250R’s engine platform to India. Is there any substance to these rumors?
=As of now, Honda has no plans of launching an on-off road motorcycle in India.

-With the number of launches in the automatic scooter segment hotting up, does Honda have any plans of expanding its automatic scooter line up in the near future?
=As of now, Honda has no plans to launch new models of automatic scooters. We will focus on the three scooter line up comprising of the Activa, Dio and Aviator.

-Do you plan to launch any other entry level model below the Dream Yuga 110?
=Honda’s plans for 2012, as announced at the Auto Expo, was the launch of 7 new products. The Dream Yuga 110 is the 7th. So, we have no other new launches lined up for this year.

-Why there is no front-disc brake in the top model of the Dream Yuga 110?
=A customer will look out for all free features without paying that extra price. Hence it becomes very difficult to have all the extra features, keeping in mind the low end price of the Dream Yuga. As of now, there are no plans to launch a variant of the bike with the front-disc brake.

In conversation: Keita Muramatsu of Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India | IndianCarsBikes.in

Honda Motorcycle & Scooter's to bring in more mass market models, reach ruler market.

Taking a leaf out of the well-honed strategy of the Munjals, its erstwhile partners, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) is now working towards spreading its wings to far-flung towns as it aims to grow its market share in India.

The heart of the strategy is to bring in more mass market models and penetrate deeper by setting up 10 zonal offices across the country to be closer to the customer and react faster.

ET learns this is part of HMSI's five-pronged approach to gain market share in India. Other than reaching out to smaller towns and rural areas, the Japanese giant's India arm plans to build a mass market product portfolio, consolidate its leadership in scooters, use Bollywood star Akshay Kumar as a brand ambassador and work with vendors to bring down costs.

YS Guleria, vice president, sales & marketing at HMSI, says entry-level bike Dream Yuga is the biggest launch for the company in recent years and will give it a presence in over half of the market for two-wheelers.

"We want to be closer to the market with the launch of Dream Yuga. For the first time, we are going beyond regional offices to zonal offices and we are going to equip each of these zonal offices with training centers," said Guleria. In the current fiscal year, HMSI will add 500 touch points, many of which will be in smaller towns and rural areas.
Dream Yuga in the existing form will take on Hero's Passion, but going ahead there will be more motorcycles under the Dream series.

The next variant is expected to take on Hero MotoCorp's flagship bike, the Splendor, said people close to the development.

With the Dream Yuga in its portfolio, HMSI is aiming to grow by over 30% this fiscal by selling 2.75 million two wheelers. The company is also planning to boost capacity to 4 million units a year later.

Guleria is non-committal on specific model plans or number of launches, but admits the company is speeding up new model development.

"We would not like to reveal our exact model plan for the future due to competitive reasons. But suffice it to say that the 100 cc market has a lot of potential. In parallel, we will have to maintain our leadership in the automatic scooter segment, so we will continue to have new models," said Guleria. HMSI is a leader in scooters with a 45% market share.

Three people involved with HMSI's new projects told ET that in 2013-14, the company will come out with a 125 cc scooter codenamed K24A - based on Aviator platform - and an executive segment motorcycle (125-135cc) codenamed K23A to take on Bajaj Auto's Pulsar 135 LS. These launches will be before the entire scooter range comprising the Activa, Dio and Aviator are launched on an all-new platform.

Experts say HMSI is taking all the steps in right direction, right from R&D to branding. However, managing competitive pricing and spreading the distribution network in quick time will be the biggest challenges.

"HMSI will be able to command a 3-5% price premium, but it should not be too far away from Hero MotoCorp and Bajaj Auto's pricing; beyond that it will be a challenge. And quickly ramping up its network in hinterlands will play a key role in garnering larger market share," said V G Ramakrishnan, senior director, automotive, Frost & Sullivan.

Honda has already made it known that India will contribute 30% of its global volumes by 2020, more than twice the current 13%.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...s-reach-ruler-market/articleshow/14421511.cms

In its second month of sales, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India’s (HMSI) 109cc commuter bike, the Dream Yuga has registered strong sales of 30,000 units. The company has recently wrapped up all its regional launches of this strategically important bike in over 20 cities.

HMSI began commercial production of the Dream Yuga in June 2012; we estimate current monthly production to be around 30,000 units, which is planned to be ramped up shortly. The company is targeting sales of 300,000 of this bike alone by March 2013.

Honda has also issued latest guidelines to its dealers wherein they will receive bookings of the bike only when the units arrive at their dealerships.

Being owned a Suzuki Slingshot + 1-1/2 years back, I found few issues with it.

My topic is related to Dream Yuga here.

I am bit disappointed with Slingshot in following aspects

1. Very uncomfortable ride due to a stiff suspension at the rear as my every day travel will be just 2 kilometers but the road which I commute has lot of speed brakers, internal bad roads, hence I feel very uncomfortable during my this short travel as bike jumps everytime.
2. Mileage is not very good, it returns 40 to 45kmpl may be because I use the bike on internal roads where always changing the gears frequently and apply breaks, so I cannot help it.
3. Gears seems to be bit hard at times and clutch is also hard and number of times checked with suzuki service which I feel useless.
4. Even it is 125cc, it lacks in power terribly with pillion rider.
5. Recently encountered with few problems of carburator as bike gets off suddenly in running. I have to fix this.

Looking at all the above, I was just thinking to change the bike and go for a new one, but again with my kind of usage I do not want to go for a costly one as I already spent Rs.55000/- for this bike. Even I get some 35 to 40000/- rupees for this bike I need to shed some more money for a new one. One question is that even I sell it, which one should I buy in a cost effective way and realiable and good suspension and mileage a bit too. If look at discover fits in every way, but only problem is rattling within now time and I do not have much experience of long time.
My splendor was super bike which run for 10 years and 150000+ kilometers and never let me down which I sold out. So bike should be like that a reliable in all aspects. I look for such a bike in the market and Dream Yuga may be fit in this, but I feel the price is high.

So looking at all above, I look for your suggestions. Is it correct to sell the present bike. If I sell what price should I expect. Then which bike I should go with a long term use.
I do not like splendor in only one aspect which is its thin tyre in the rear which skid lot many times.

Finally I am ok with 100cc/125cc, less budget, reliable, good suspension, reasonable mileage and VFM bike.

You can opt for Discover as we own 5 of Disco100cc which is used for office purpose each has crossed more than 50k Kms, and still there are no signs of rattling or any part failures all it asked was time to time service and consumables. I

Visran

Thank you for your quick reply. Can you elaborate a bit on your experience of Discover. Is it with 5 gears or 4 gears ??

Do you have any experience of Yamaha SS 125 ??

Last edited:
Visran

Thank you for your quick reply. Can you elaborate a bit on your experience of Discover. Is it with 5 gears or 4 gears ??

Do you have any experience of Yamaha SS 125 ??
Sorry no experience with Yam's, our Discover is 100cc with 5 gear's it is being used for marketing and delivery purposes, it's on the road for least 9 hours a day if you know Bangalore traffic 9hrs is a pure torture despite this it hasn't skipped a heart beat, if you can stretch your budget a little you can check out the new disco125st.

Top Bottom