Does In-car Entertainment Hamper Safe Driving?

Does In-car Entertainment Hamper Safe Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
it becomes cumbersome and boring for the co-passengers in a long trip without any music.
Yep. Agree.
Normally during daily commute in city traffic, I am the lone person, So I can switch it ON/OFF depending on mood. But I don't keep it OFF all the time, I have few CDs of my favorite songs and prefer those over the loud music of FM. Also, now a days there are less songs and more advertisements on all FM channels. [;)]

But when it comes to long journey with family, it's required to be ON.

Yep. Agree.
Also, now a days there are less songs and more advertisements on all FM channels. [;)]

But when it comes to long journey with family, it's required to be ON.
Bang on brother.. that's the reason I keep the aux cable and pen-drive handy.. especially the lady who keeps going on and on about Russia on some radio channel [lol]

Thread Starter #18

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

According to a warning and study by Institute of Advanced Motorists, the cars which are equipped with features like GPS, Internet and Tablets are a great threat for the drivers and increase chances of accidents.

Sillars said: "While car makers work constantly to incorporate active and passive safety features into vehicles, making us safer than ever before, they are also guilty of making us too comfortable and making us feel more cosseted - like we were in our own living rooms."

She added the main areas of concern were highly sophisticated satellite-navigation and GPS systems, smartphones that mirror tablets and easy connectivity of internet and social media.
source

Regards

Akash

I vote NO for me its not.
Its a way to relax and enjoy the drive provided the volume is in control and no fiddling at all while the wheels are rolling.

If the question is in general I think YES. with mojority of cars having woofers and no steering controls on road we often see people driving with lod music or fiddling with their systems specially mobiles. with all windows rolled on one can not connect to outer traffic and yes its important even with all those RVMs we can miss a Honking vehicle from a blind corner.

I think it depends on the driver. I would say it helps me calm down while driving. I also keep dedicated folders with a wide range of songs, so that I can concentrate on driving. Any changes in the folder, I only change songs and volume using steering mounted controls.

NO is my Vote.

Am used to "Steering mounted" controls now and was using a Dapic in old Matiz without such controls. As long as I remember that

• Music is for me (not to impress those outside the car)
  • Music is to help me relax (rather than getting into tricky situations) while driving
the answer will always be NO.

As per my experience music is must while i drive. Without music journey will be boring. My favorite music while driving keeps me calm, fresh, energetic and happy.
It could be dangerous to fidgeting with music system while driving. I always do that only while waiting at signals or when car is not moving. Sometimes i stop the car only to do some settings on music system and get strange look from my mom[confused].
So it's a big no from me.

Last edited:
Quoting the above post,
What you said is totally correct.
I occasionally go on for long rides,sometimes we will be only 2 in car,at that time the only thing that entertains us is movies, filmy chartbusters.
The thump that i get from My subwoffer set up adds to the enjoyment.

When i am in driving seat,i do occasional glances to my Audio system screen,usually in traffics,or long straight roads.It's not at all a disturbance,once you get used to it you will love it.

Those who have watched English Movies,may know,quoting the scene from Need for speed 14,the race is planned in car via video call.
[;)]

Yes, it hampers if the volume is high.
Fiat cars have a special feature which decreases volume automatically if the car the car achieves a speed more than set by the driver.

From the day i started driving and even before that, i mean in ''GTA'' i make sure music is on, it brings complete concentration.

I find horns, screech and other noises very distracting.

My way of driving, keep the latest songs, no melodies and up the volume, with the sub woofer i hear no outside sound, also my fingers like a blind man knows all buttons of the player. I feel like i drive in a world filled with music. The three mirrors and windscreen are enough to know whats happening.

Last edited:
I don't think it hampers safe driving as long as the driver is cautious about what he or she is doing. on long rides i usually give the remote to my wife and let her do all the searching and changing part. but when i'm alone if i need to change something i park it make the changes then push off. that ways i enjoy my ride as well as i don't cause problems to others behind me. i too have a sub set up, the volume only goes high when there is family. and it only goes loud to an extent where all the passengers in the car can hear it loud enough. not the outside public. the music is for me to listen, not to show off.

I prefer driving car with music "on" every-time as I feel bored quickly and when I think of something else(thanks to Bangalore traffic) I get distracted, to avoid this keep the music on so that my ears are active.

It is not unsafe to drive a car with music, but its very much unsafe to listen to music while driving your car, i.e., the priority should be given to driving more than listening.

Big NO from me.

Music in car is the only way to relax and ignore the morons (some) on the road and their stupid road manners. I get really angry at some people who don't behave properly on the road (like stopping the car in the middle of the road, driving real slow and not allowing to overtake, talking on phone and not giving attention to traffic, cutting lanes, excessive honking, etc.) and music is the only way to divert my mind and relieve that anger. [:)]

There are just 2 things we need to mind : No fiddling with the controls while driving and Keeping sane volume levels. Volume should be low enough that you are able to hear the traffic (opposite to what some members said above) and screeches, horns, etc. from the traffic. Screeches and horns warn us in case of an unintended accident and many other scenarios. In fact, policemen in a foreign country (don't remember the name) are trained to identify these screeches and noises to get alert and save themselves/others.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

Top Bottom