Does In-car Entertainment Hamper Safe Driving?

Does In-car Entertainment Hamper Safe Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Team,

Question is very simple. But, how many of us have ever thought in this direction? May be non of us. In-car entertainment is definitely a way of enjoying the drive and definitely provides an alternative from blaring horns and relaxes our senses to cope with traffic.

However, there is another side to it. With the presence of high-end music systems and auxiliary attachments, does it not hamper in safe driving by distracting the attention of the driver?

Does it never happen that we are fidgeting with the music system, remote or the ipod etc either to scroll or shift?

This lapse of attention can cost any of us our lives and rides anytime. So, over here I would like to know your views about how in-car entertainment devices can be a deterrent in sane driving?

How many of you fidget with the touch-screen players et al in your cars while driving?

Regards

Akash

Hello Akash,

This is a very good point that you have raised. Initially when I started driving, I faced concentration issues when music was on, and asked the same thing to my friend who is a good driver, and the reply he gave was that once you drive around 100-200 odd kms, it'll become a muscle reflex and the music won't hamper the concentration. And I'd like to support his argument that now driving and listening to music doesn't hamper my concentration. I tend to keep some part of the window open to feel myself connected with the traffic :stupid:.

However, I'd like to add that while driving, I refrain myself from fidgeting with the Music System, to change song or increase/decrease volume. I'd more so ask my co-passenger to do the task, in-case there's none, then I do it at a traffic signal.

I will vote for "Yes".

Yes, the ICE systems do hamper concentration to some extent while driving. On long drives and highways when your favourite music is played then you start listening it more than outside world and some vehicles having "meek" horns blow themselves for overtaking then you would not come to know it till you check it in you RVM.

One of my friend has taken Celerio past three months and yet not installed ICE in it, when i asked him about it he told that he is newbie and want to listen to traffic and engine more than music.

The steering mounted controls comes handy here. here's what I do.

As soon as I slow down near signal. I increase the volume when I'm static in one place. And when start moving, lowering it to around 10** or below**. This has been a habit for me now and I don't see any problem in concentration. The only problem in concentration for me is when someone keep talking from passenger seat or answering the phone call even via bluetooth.

**does not apply for imagine dragons's battle cry lol

Last edited:
ICE usually doesn't hamper safe driving, but surely take little away from that. That is why newer cars come with steering controls for audio & mobile (mobile is probably bigger factor to hamper safe driving, but that could be a another post by you) for better convenience & safe driving.

On long drives and highways when your favourite music is played then you start listening it more than outside world and some vehicles having "meek" horns blow themselves for overtaking then you would not come to know it till you check it in you RVM.

One of my friend has taken Celerio past three months and yet not installed ICE in it, when i asked him about it he told that he is newbie and want to listen to traffic and engine more than music.
That's the reason I keep part of my window open to connect with the traffic, it helps me a lot to keep my focus where it should be.

Dear Team,

Question is very simple. But, how many of us have ever thought in this direction? May be non of us. In-car entertainment is definitely a way of enjoying the drive and definitely provides an alternative from blaring horns and relaxes our senses to cope with traffic.

However, there is another side to it. With the presence of high-end music systems and auxiliary attachments, does it not hamper in safe driving by distracting the attention of the driver?

Does it never happen that we are fidgeting with the music system, remote or the ipod etc either to scroll or shift?

This lapse of attention can cost any of us our lives and rides anytime. So, over here I would like to know your views about how in-car entertainment devices can be a deterrent in sane driving?

How many of you fidget with the touch-screen players et al in your cars while driving?

Regards

Akash
Approx. 8 months ago i was driving at 80 kmph in my car on a state highway. When i took my eyes off the road to change the song playing at that time , after 2-3 seconds i saw a car was coming in my lane from opposite direction trying to overtake a lorry. Had come too close flashing headlights at the time i saw it. Thank God i escaped. Then i realized it is very dangerous to take your eyes off the road while driving even for two three seconds.
Now i am using remote for changing songs etc. From 3-4 months. After some practice during spare time I'm used to it. Now my finger knows the position of all buttons on the remote and i can do all the things without take my eyes off the road.

ICE does hamper the safe driving until the song it is playing is your favorite or the volume is high. At least this happens to me.

BTW, I don't remember last time when I was listening music while driving. I have developed a habit of driving in 'loneliness' with pedal at metal and engine roar audible to me. Though some old songs do accompany me for first half hour of journey.

That's the reason I keep part of my window open to connect with the traffic, it helps me a lot to keep my focus where it should be.
Hi nick1188,

If you are driving under soaring sun and kept AC on, then the temperatue will get loss through open line of window straining your compressor. Better turn volume below 10 and keep windows up [:)]

Agreed on that, but having grown up in Mumbai, the summer temperatures of Bangalore don't trouble me at all. Infact, I drive 90% of the times without an AC, since even during the day the breeze is decent enough to avoid switching AC.
Well to each his own, but the advice is sound enough that I can use it.. Thanks GrandRK[thumbswink]

In my view, ICE with physical buttons do hamper initialy but after a while your fingers knows the positions.

But the worst of the lot are touch screen Panel. First you need to dedicate your omplete sight and attention and then you have to pin point your fingers to the touch input and then again wait for visual feedback.

Thats too much attention to ask for in a milisecond high speed life-death risk game called driving.

Irony, that more and more manufacturers are going for it.

I will vote for Yes.

It's only recently I noticed that when music is OFF, I driver better. Music makes your brain bit relaxed and also your attention gets diverted on tune, lyrics etc.. which you may not want while driving.
You can have extra attention (through ears) on the happenings around you.

I will vote for Yes.

It's only recently I noticed that when music is OFF, I driver better. Music makes your brain bit relaxed and also your attention gets diverted on tune, lyrics etc.. which you may not want while driving.
You can have extra attention (through ears) on the happenings around you.
Ok, agreed on that, however it's better to have your mind and body acclimatised to music around. The reason I'm saying this is, even if the driver is comfortable driving without any music, it becomes cumbersome and boring for the co-passengers in a long trip without any music. One would argue, why don't they chat among themselves, but then how long can one chat, everyone needs entertainment and long trips are generally not for the purpose of point A to point B, music adds that entertainment factor.

Top Bottom