Does Engine Size (in CC) of car Matters for Fuel Economy?

Does Engine size of car matters for Fuel Economy for same driving style?

• Total voters
i drive a Hyundai accent 1.5 Petrol which returns me 12-14 kmpl on an average driving while my VW Jetta 1.8 Turbocharged returns 11-13kmpl. Engine cc does count but to some extent when you compare a 1litre to 3 or 4 litre engine. its an engineering difference that makes them fuel efficient

There is no direct answer to the question.

Its No which strikes to any techie first but for general audience, yes is the answer :)

Its not just the CC which adds to fuel economy, there are lot of dependable factors!

Last edited:
Another simple example which shows " Engine Size (in CC) Alone doesn't Matter the fuel consumption/economy "

Difference of fuel economy in same Engines -
(the only difference in both engines is the Fi & oil cooler)

avg of karizma R 223cc (carb version) - 38km/l
avg of karizma zmr 223cc (Fi verison) - 45 km/l (despite being 10 kgs heavier than the above one)

me on my rtr 160- 30 best
dad on his p200- 45.
that tells a lot.
factors are there, but we just cannot expect a mitsu 3000gt to give the same mileage as lambo murcielago.
still,engine tuning matters. a bmw m5's 5 litre v10 is more efficient than a vipers 8.7 litre v10.

Voted No.
There are many other major factors which decide the FE of an automobile. There are many higher cc cars which are much more fuel efficient than ones with lower cc.

My one cent ,fe depends upon the efficiency of engine & how you utilise it
e.g. 2 stroke engine has less efficiency than 4 stroke same capacity engine this answers why RX 100 has less fe compared to ct 100
& the power to weigh ratio is also important e.g.swift & dzire has same engine & front facia(same wind registance) but dzire has less power to weigh ratio because of 40kg extra weight so have less fe than swift

i would vote for may or may not. it depends on the car actually.

i would compare the innova D-4D & scorpio mHawk - the scorpio is heavier, has 20 bhp more & is geared for performance, compared to the innova. everything suggests the FE of innova should be higher but its the other way round.

maybe the reason is scorpio's engine is 2.2 & innova's engine is 2.5, but i dont think thats the actual reason. i feel, since the scorpio has more torque, it needs only a light tap on the throttle to get it moving in the city. so overall, it runs at a much lesser rpm throughout compared to the innova. so it turns out to be more fuel efficient.

of course, but engine size would matter if we compare a 1.2 petrol to a 3.0 V6 petrol!

Top Bottom