Does Buying Diesel Car Over Petrol Gives Financial Edge?

Well,guys here are my views:-

The answer is simple:NEVER..

Why?
Because I myself own a diesel car and my monthly expenses on fuel etc is really quite high.

If one own a petrol car then he'll be automatically more environment conscious..[;)].Its the petrol price effect,but if he owns a diesel car then even if he have to go to piss then also he will take the car.
I have seen many people here who owns some Swift etc etc and for even 200-300 meter trip they take the car and man the A/C thing,better less said:-
Those with petrol cars park their cars in shade but the diesel owners just mindlessly burn the oil and keep their A/C's running for whole time.

Result:All the works are being carried out at the same pace and the car is also nearly equally used,but the diesel owners at the end of the day end up paying about 80-90% of the same as the petrol owners pay.
Take it this way:
A person whose monthly running was 2000,he maintains it at either at 2000 or 1800 after buying a petrol car,but if he buys a diesel car then he mindlessly increase it upto 2500 or even 3000 kilometers.

If he buys a Swift petrol then his monthly fuel bill will be around 11471 @ 14 kpl FE.
If he buys a Swift diesel then his monthly fuel bill will be around 6187 @ 16 kpl FE,but for Diesel car he will do at least 500 kms more in the car per month which adds Rs 1406 + 500 rs fuel will be which he is going to waste by taking longer routes,keeping A/C continuously running etc.Hence he will be spending 8093 Rs per month on fuel.
I hope I am right guys.Please correct any mistake,I'll be thankful
ya that's absolutely true it's very hard to restrict our running if we have a higher fuel efficiency,this is the point that our shailinder pointed out in one of his posts,that we don't actually save but unknowingly the virtual saving in the end leads to more real spending.
same is the case that when my salary was 30k then i was living like that and in the end of month...than than gopal,and now its 100k and so the life style changed but still in the end of the month.....than than gopal.[;)]

ya that's absolutely true it's very hard to restrict our running if we have a higher fuel efficiency,this is the point that our shailinder pointed out in one of his posts,that we don't actually save but unknowingly the virtual saving in the end leads to more real spending.
same is the case that when my salary was 30k then i was living like that and in the end of month...than than gopal,and now its 100k and so the life style changed but still in the end of the month.....than than gopal.
Right you are,people running behind this virtual saving end up spending more int he real life.
About salary thing:-
When you earn 30k then you buy the same things but of the range of 30k,but when salary is 1 lac then your expenses increases by three folds for the same thing and at the end of month when you see just 15-20k lying in the account then you find that something has gone wrong and promise to take care next month and the again same story repeats..[lol]

One simple question:Are you married?Do you have kids?
If yes,then than than gopal is no issue,the real savings are always done in the first week of the month itself by the job doers.

In other words,if you wanna change this than-than Gopal thing,then you will have to change yourself.You have to change your earning source,you have to shift into the self-employed or business world[evil].And see,you will be than-than gopal and no than-than gopal both at the same time..
BTW,I deserve some repo points for these explanatory posts...[;)]

same is the case that when my salary was 30k then i was living like that and in the end of month...than than gopal,and now its 100k and so the life style changed but still in the end of the month.....than than gopal.[;)]
I agree to Than Than Gopal point.. [lol] As you earn more you sepnd more. I had petrol Zen earlier and wanted a new car. I bought diesel car becuase I knew that monthly running would definitely go high. So my calculations went as I pay Rs. 10,600 EMI for 6 alcs of loan that comes to Rs. 1766 per lac. So if I buy Petrol car which is approx 1 lac cheaper than diesel car my monthly EMI would go down by say Rs. 2000 (i.e. Rs.8500). But what about the monthly fuel expenses? So by buying diesel car I am paying 2000 extra in EMI but also saving some in my monthly fuel expenses. And trust me my fuel expenses now have reduced to what it was when I was having Zen. [:D]

^^
What is your monthly running buddy?
And what was your monthly running when you as driving the petrol car(Zen)?

Actually if the running is really high,say at least 3-4k kms then buying s diesel gives some advantage but if the running is low,then its just a virtual saving,none else.

WHen I had Zen I use to fill the fuel worth rs. 2100 for 30 odd litres which would run for about 330 KM. Now I fill fuel worth rs.1800 for 40 odd litres and I can easily cover 600-650 KM in city traffic.

My daily travelling is min 50KM and 2 out of 4 weekend it's usually a long drive out of city. or if you consider me going to town then also it will be minimum 100KM. So monthly running comes around about to 2 - 2.5k. In 7 months I have already done 13k. But first month was entirely wasted due to issues with the dealer and till Jan I was using company transport for commutation, so dint drive much. From Februray onwards I am consistently using my car for 2 - 25k monthly or it can be more also. Actually I never bothered to calculate it, was just enjoying my Beauty PUNTO MJD.

I have a firm news from Delhi that the proposal of tax on diesel vehicles is already approved. how much it is for what is really not known.

This will be implemented soon after the presidential elections are over !!

So whoever is in finalising their diesel cars, buy them immediately !!

Actually, I feel that its just a rumor. Before the budget, there was this same kind of rumor about the increase in Road tax for diesel cars, and the dealers used this opportunity to sell their cars faster, but there was not much a hike. What I feel is that such an huge increment is off limits and unfeasible.

Well,guys here are my views:-

The answer is simple:NEVER..

Why?
Because I myself own a diesel car and my monthly expenses on fuel etc is really quite high.

If one own a petrol car then he'll be automatically more environment conscious..[;)].Its the petrol price effect,but if he owns a diesel car then even if he have to go to piss then also he will take the car.
I have seen many people here who owns some Swift etc etc and for even 200-300 meter trip they take the car and man the A/C thing,better less said:-
Those with petrol cars park their cars in shade but the diesel owners just mindlessly burn the oil and keep their A/C's running for whole time.

Result:All the works are being carried out at the same pace and the car is also nearly equally used,but the diesel owners at the end of the day end up paying about 80-90% of the same as the petrol owners pay.
Take it this way:
A person whose monthly running was 2000,he maintains it at either at 2000 or 1800 after buying a petrol car,but if he buys a diesel car then he mindlessly increase it upto 2500 or even 3000 kilometers.

Some days back I did a survey and in that too I found that most of the cars pulled back by the bank was 'DIESEL' ones..thanks to mindless owners.

How?
How it is possible that diesel cars don't give any financial edge?Take it this way:-

Case considered:-Mr.Shailinder(Imagined person,not ours) is a Delhi based common man who earns 50k per month and live with his family of four-He,wife and two children.

Mr Shailinder(I hope you have no problem for me using your name buddy) wants to buy a Swift for himself and he is confused between diesel and petrol.
Swift ZXi costs him 6.23 lacs on-road Delhi while swift ZDi costs him 7.72 lacs on-road Delhi.
Now Mr.Shailinder made a chart making out his financial planning,running costs etc etc.

Salary:50k.
Monthly running:2k+200 kms(2400 kms of weekend trips for whole year).
Fuel prices:
Petrol:About 73/liter.
Diesel:About 45/liter.(I took round average figures considering whole country prices).

Difference between variants:1.49 lacs or say 1.50 lacs.

If he buys a Swift petrol then his monthly fuel bill will be around 11471 @ 14 kpl FE.
If he buys a Swift diesel then his monthly fuel bill will be around 6187 @ 16 kpl FE,but for Diesel car he will do at least 500 kms more in the car per month which adds Rs 1406 + 500 rs fuel will be which he is going to waste by taking longer routes,keeping A/C continuously running etc.Hence he will be spending 8093 Rs per month on fuel.
I hope I am right guys.Please correct any mistake,I'll be thankful to you.

So now he plans the financial thing and finds it out as follows:-
3 lacs down payment and after that for ZXi he needs a loan of 3.23 lacs while for ZDi he needs a loan of 4.72 lacs.
Now bank charges him at Rs 2500 per lac per month for 5 years and hence his installments will become somewhere about:-
Rs 8075 per month for ZXi.And hence in five years he will end up paying Rs 4,84,500 for the loan.
Rs 11800 per month for ZDi.And hence in five years he will end up paying Rs 7,08,000 for the loan.

Hence at the end of five years ZXi costs him:7,84,500 and ZDi costs him 10,08,000.

Now his monthly expenses on the car becomes:-
11471+8075=Rs 19546 per month for ZXi and
8093+11800=Rs 19893 per month for ZDi.

Hence this way the diesel car is simply ruled out in terms of 'giving a financial edge' over the petrol one.

To be continued..
Hey Vipul,

+1 to what yo have mentioned. Please make people realize this on a large scale. I see people buying diesel car just for the heck of it. Cmon guys be practical on your usage. Also the increasing demand for diesel vehicles & diesel will surely have some bad news shortly in store. Sorry if any one is cursing me but I believe one should be sensible to make choice for buying car depending on their usage.

Happy Motoring
Santosh.V

@ TSIVipul,thats true, but not to the extent of extending 500 kms per month. 200-250 kms would do. and you have left the maintenance part.diesel car higher maintenance & also for the high mileage.

last month uncle took my car for a week & gave his indica xeta. god its literally drinking. unable to bear, took out my abandoned bike

Top Bottom