Do You Switch off Headlights and Engine at Red-Signals?

Do you switch off headlights And Engine at red-signals?

• Yes

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 21.1%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
While waiting at red-signal, I have seen people on cars with their head-lights switched on. Swithing off head-lights has more benefits, such as:
  • Less load on battery and hence better FE
  • Longer head-light bulb life
  • Prevent daze on oncoming traffic
One reason I can make why head-lights are never switched off is the head-lights take time to come to full beam and switching them off will need to start the process again. Is there any other reason?

Note: Please vote in the anonymous poll.

Yes I do, most of the time. Only if I know the signal is going to be Green soon, I avoid this.
Prevent daze on oncoming traffic
This is very true, so irritating when some still car has headlight ON and that too on high beam.

The one reason thats most important is to make it easy on the eyes of other motorists. Its very selfish to daze others with the high beams.

Yes i too always switch them OFF if i am going to stand more than 20 seconds. This practice was taught to me by my dad and he also follows the same. I don know whether it affects FE but it saves battery for sure!

Also another reason why i switch it OFF is to avoid glare to the oncoming vehicles particularly if am standing front in the signal. I also switch OFF the headlights when i wait for a right turn even if its not a signal.

@ Diabloo And headlight taking time to attain full beam is only with HID'S right?

350Z

Core Team
Frankly speaking, I rarely switch off the headlamps during red signals. However, if the wait becomes too long, I sure do so and even turn off the ignition as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes i too always switch them OFF if i am going to stand more than 20 seconds. This practice was taught to me by my dad and he also follows the same. I don know whether it affects FE but it saves battery for sure!

Also another reason why i switch it OFF is to avoid glare to the oncoming vehicles particularly if am standing front in the signal. I also switch OFF the headlights when i wait for a right turn even if its not a signal.

@ Diabloo And headlight taking time to attain full beam is only with HID'S right?

Me too this habit has been taught by dad 2....[cheers]

Frankly speaking, I rarely switch off the headlamps during red signals. However, if the wait becomes too long, I sure do so and even turn off the ignition as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Same , i do rarely switch off , when i have a motorist with pillion (its awkward to see them brightly lit esp with the ladies.) in front

Some times a bus may stand parallel to me and they switch off at halt , so do i follow there step as my head lamp may make that area brighter

some time i will be busy checking phones and cd player at signal and forget to do this.

Yes; i do switch off my headlight.
Which ever signal it is short/long i always have a habbit to switch it off.
If the signal is too long; i also switch off my foglamps too.
In city driving i use the headlights very rarely; fog lamps serves my needs.

For Bike I have HIDs so I have to switch it off to save battery charge! [evil]

Yes, i do switch off my headlights whenever i have to wait on a signal for more than 20 seconds. I usually dim my lights to parking lamps in that case.

Top Bottom