Do You Drive with Foot Resting on Clutch?

Clutch Riding. Yes or No?

• Total voters
Re the dead pedal, abso true.
Unfortunately, very few cars feel the need to provide one, and some that do are not very comfortable for a Size 10 shoe!!

Clutch riding is it a driving sin ?

In the book of good driving skills clutch riding is considered no no and you don't get any brownie points for doing it .
But but but what is the option in cities like Mumbai, Bangalore were traffic is like hell there is no option other then riding the clutch to move forward inch by inch in a extremely slow moving traffic .
Is there a option ? What do you guys do ?
do u ride the clutch when u have to move at crawling speed in bumper to bumper traffic ?
Is there any other technique you practice ?
Pls share your experience , your remedy and solution , technique.

Re: Clutch riding is it a driving sin ?

I never ever follow any rule book while Driving.

My beliefs are ,it all depends upon how you feel whether engine and gears are stressed or free to rev.

On a flat plane road ,where a car can move with slightest of push or in a descending slope ,I don't see much harm to clutch in anyway.

But I have noticed people doing wicked thing in slow traffic like crawling in 3rd and 2nd gear which could be much detrimental.

Imo if the minimum RPM on odo goes below "idle RPM" under any circumstance, is not good for engine .

Rapid variation in ODO rpm while playing around with Half clutch means clutch smoking.

use of proper gears to maintain an appreciable RPM then everything will be fair .

I never ever follow any rule book while Driving.

My beliefs are ,it all depends upon how you feel whether engine and gears are stressed or free to rev.

On a flat plane road ,where a car can move with slightest of push or in a descending slope ,I don't see much harm to clutch in anyway.

But I have noticed people doing wicked thing in slow traffic like crawling in 3rd and 2nd gear which could be much detrimental.

Imo if the minimum RPM on odo goes below "idle RPM" under any circumstance, is not good for engine .

Rapid variation in ODO rpm while playing around with Half clutch means clutch smoking.

use of proper gears to maintain an appreciable RPM then everything will be fair .
You are right but what does 1 do when he has to move the car at crawling speeds in 1 gear by the time you release half clutch you need to stop so most of the time one rides the clutch is any solution for that ?

You are right but what does 1 do when he has to move the car at crawling speeds in 1 gear by the time you release half clutch you need to stop so most of the time one rides the clutch is any solution for that ?
when crawling in the traffic in first gear, one doesnt need to press the accelerator pedal. the torque itself moves the car forward, by leaving the clutch slightly (half clutch). correct usage of the accelerator does no harm to the clutch

Clutch is my lifeline in the traffic.Why?Because most of the cars I drive are petrols and worst is that two of them are Hondas(City and Jazz)and the i-vtec engine is very weak in the lower end.
For diesel cars,you need no accelerator so nearly no need of half clutch application.

But yes,I use it 100% with slight accelerator while moving in traffic.

IMO there is no other alternative in a bumper to bumper situation rather than clutch-brake option. There are lot of things written in the books but we can seldom follow all of them in our real life. So it seems you are right in this situation.

In city, clutch is like my best friend and I hug it most of the time, but not with any pressure.
On the highway, I have to search for it. :P [;)]

In peak time traffic conditions, I cannot avoid but need to keep my foot on the clutch, frequently changing gears, clutch half pressed etc..

Dead pedal should be a standard practice from all manufactures and the placement of the deal pedal is quite important, shouldn't be too far from the clutch, which defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

If we rest our foot on the clutch, we might be resting it lightly, but while driving, we have no way to find out whether that "lightly" is indeed light enough. I heard in old cars we used to have provision for installing "False Clutch", something like even if you press, before certain amount, its actually non-operational. Is it true?
That certain amount, takes care of the pressure created by your foot while on rest.

Regards
Suvo

Last edited:

Top Bottom