Do Premium Auto Brands Check One’s Status Before Selling their Cars?

Thread Starter #1
I heard that luxury car brands like BMW,Merc,Audi,Rolls-Royce etc..are not for all the people. I mean, even if a person has money to purchase such cars,he cannot. Instead they see one's status and then they decide to give such cars!!! is this true?[cry]

Re: is this true?

I heard that luxury car brands like BMW,Merc,Audi,Rolls-Royce etc..are not for all the people. I mean, even if a person has money to purchase such cars,he cannot. Instead they see one's status and then they decide to give such cars!!! is this true?[cry]

BMW, Merc and Audi are regular premium brands in India now.
There are BMW and Merc taxis in Europe. (even in India too)

Rolls Royce cars are made to order and once upon a time they insisted that they will book the Orders selectively as per status only.

There was a story about an Indian Maharaja - of some princly state in North) trying to get a Rolls Royce and the company refused. Later the Maharaja ordered a big fleet (close to 40?) which the company could not resist. Later, the cars were used to carry cow/horse dung just because the Rolls Royce company rubbed the ego of our Maharaja.

Merc, BMW, Audi etc are just normal cars with luxury and premium tag which anybody can buy with money.

And there are other cars like Rolls Royce, Bently etc which are made to Order but still money can buy.

Yeah even i have heard the same. I know it's not true for Bmw , Benz and Audi but i heard for RR they do see your status!

It might be for those Ferrari special edition. Its definitely not for BMW/MERC/Audi.

Heck, farmers who gave up land for Bangalore international airport are now flaunting their BMWs whereas we, the educated 'elite' class are still dreaming of Swifts and Honda City. Such is life[:)]

It might be for those Ferrari special edition. Its definitely not for BMW/MERC/Audi.

Heck, farmers who gave up land for Bangalore international airport are now flaunting their BMWs whereas we, the educated 'elite' class are still dreaming of Swifts and Honda City. Such is life[:)]
Rightly said. I see in Bangalore some local people who never saw school now own Mark,BMW...and they all now goons.

And we tax payers (done PG, B.E etc) only dream of these and spent time on car forums.

Its a time when a beemer is cheaper than a Honda or a Škoda!
Who cares about status till they are getting paid !

Well, its different story about ROLLs Royce and others.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Do Premium Auto Brands Check One’s Status Before Selling their Cars?

I heard that luxury car brands like BMW,Merc,Audi,Rolls-Royce etc..are not for all the people. I mean, even if a person has money to purchase such cars,he cannot. Instead they see one's status and then they decide to give such cars!!! is this true?
Definitely not in case of common brands like Mercedes and BMW. I don’t think that even ultra premium manufacturers would these days discriminate the persons based on their society status as seen through an apt example given by Vinayan. But it's foolishness if they do.

nice read, @autosafari who is that Maharaja?
He is known as Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala. I'm quoting some of that text from Wikipedia:

In 1930, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh felt slighted at the British Rolls Royce company’s refusal to accept an order from him for a new Rolls Royce car. Reacting to the refusal, the Maharaja put some of his old Rolls Royce cars to work hauling garbage, dung and filth in Patiala city to the chagrin of the all-powerful Rolls Royce-loving Viceroy and the British ruling establishment who quickly prevailed upon the Rolls Royce Company to comply with the Maharaja’s wishes.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Like the Maharaja in our modern times there are wealthy customers who get angry with Ferrari when limited run models are sold out & throw huge tantrums,I remember Ferrari had to increase production number of there Enzo from 349 to 399 by introducing black colour where before red & yellow were the only ones available ,they had a similar problem when Ferrari Enzo FXX was launched ,amazing considering you could only drive it at Ferrari test track(maranello & some others) & not take the car home with you!

But my friend did mention some really exclusive apartments(with A-list occupants) in the heart of the city(Bangalore) do check what cars you own before agreeing to sell there apartments to you!

I am not aware of this. I had been to a few dealership like Merc & BMW for TD, but it was only due to unavailability of cars (the showroom was yet to be constructed), they couldnt provide a drive. However, a few months back when i shifted to Ranchi, they called me asking when i would be free for the TD. Both the dealers were courteous enough.

Not at all for Merc, BMW or Audi, but definitely yes for Rolls Royce.

Infact, even if you want a test drive of exclusive cars like Range Rover, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini etc., they ask for your visiting cards, do a full background search on you, and then offer/decline you a test drive.

I have done it too... (P.S.: Its fun declining someone a test drive... sadistic pleasure! LOLZ)

OT but I remember an incident when I used to work in Land Rover. A guy called up from Nashik & he wanted a test drive of the Range Rover Sport. He wanted us to pick him up from the Airport & drop him to his hotel, 30 kms away from the airport! I consulted my senior & did a small check on whether he can actually buy the Sport. I called him later and said, "Sorry sir, Range Rover has stopped offering cab services for free!"

Last edited:

Top Bottom