Do Old Japanese Cars Lack Collectibility Factor?

Do old Japaenese cars lack exclusivity factor?

• Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • somewhat

• Can't Say

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Its pretty ironical that despite enjoying sales success and brand equity none of old Japanese cars have a collectibility factor ( or exclusivity factor )with respect to mainstream cars, everyday cars like Toyota Corolla, Datsun 510.What could be the factor?

P.S: Please limit the discussion to average day to day cars and luxury cars

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
@mods - I created this thread to discuss about old day to day cars not sports car.Its nothing to do with reliablity factor or owning but in refrence owning old japanese cars for its charm , or as a collectibility factor.So I feel this thread should be seperate as it deals with different aspect.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Good thread. Let it remain separate since the topic is entirely different. And speaking on the collectible factor – I’d vote for can’t say. Because exceptions are always there, be it Japanese manufacturer or Italian. Yes, some of their cars lack that ‘excitement’ factor but why not take a look on some nostalgic models such as Old Honda Prelude / Toyota MR2 and instances are more. These cars in spite of being from a different era, still set the pulse racing of an enthusiast.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6
@350Z - thanks

What suprised me was that a Vintage toyota Corona or even Corolla is not that sought after when compared to Morris Minor or even Oxford ( la HM Ambassdor).Even a 1960s Fiat 1100 D will fare better when sold or Auctioned than a similar vintage Toyota.So Whats the cause of this?

• Reliability - if this is sole aspect then VW Golf or beetle defy this logic
  • Styling - again , if this criteria is taken then even a VW camper van defies it
  • Too many, Too plenty- No this also does not lead to a straight answer but deepens mystery as VW Van has a huge fan base or even Minor with sales of a million
I am still perplexed by lack of interest in old average Japanese cars whereas their Europen Counterparts sell in prices few could dream about.Even in our country this trend I have seen except for Maruti 800 SS80 which is in demand due to its relative importance of kick starting of Auto Industry.I have seen Contessa clubs , Fiat Clubs but no toyota corolla club in our country .I may be wrong but even if there is a club for corolla these car aren't in the radar of enthusiast

350Z

Core Team
You do have some valid points. But I don’t think we can measure the charm of (Old) Toyota Corolla with Morris Minor. Let’s compare the apples to apples – Both the cars belong to a fairly different time-frame; second, both are highly respected on their own places. Speaking in context to the day-to-day sedans – Definitely the earlier Toyota cars might have less appealing design but this cannot be generalized for all Japanese models. In fact, some of them have created a benchmark on their own and enthusiasts (who know their value), still lust for them. No wonder, why the Corolla and Camry are known as highly reliable cars, not only in India but in US as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

allow me ..

japanese cars are extremely purpose oriented. technically near perfect , economical reliable and for quick day to day use. most of the time japanese vendors eye on buyer "who can buy what and fill the void" so cars have almost become trivial thing.

in west car is a luxury even now. they keep surprising the audiance with super cars and bling bling developing a huge fanbase..the japanese and other eastern technology followed west with little more refinements and vfm concepts.
ultimately japanese cars are positioned likewise.

to this date it hasnt changed.

have a look at
toyota etios,honda city,fiat linea,skoda octavia, suzuki sx4 etc
similarly in hatchbacks suzuki swift,fiat punto,skoda fabia, etc..

maybe after couple of years the same question may popup concerning above cars .
a quick glance at sales figures and authentic reviews explains the reasons

Its not anything to manage with reliability component or owning but in reference owning vintage japanese vehicles for its charm , or as a perfectibility factor.So I seem this gist should be seperate as it agreements with distinct aspect.

philosophical fact is japanese are zen people .
they dont rely on past and its charm( neither they do care about future). so they themselves may laugh at those whom show such interest.(no offence to anybody).

Top Bottom