DIY: LED Tail Lamps for Maruti 800

Wow, I like the LED parking and break light concept. I was thinking how to install them on my scorp but could not figure out how to hole the reflector part on the top of break light.
Many suggested there is no gap to fit the LEDs still on research.
Good work dude.

Thread Starter #32
Wow, I like the LED parking and break light concept. I was thinking how to install them on my scorp but could not figure out how to hole the reflector part on the top of break light.
Good work dude.
It can be done but there is a risk of spoiling the light assembly. Scorpio lights cost a lot. If you want to make LED lights then you may need to buy an old light pair and the light plastics. Because original lights should not be spoiled for any DIY

bhvm

Honoured Member
Good work dude.
rather than making an array of leds, you can go individual 1w leds. they are cheap and much brighter than small 5mm leds. just 2-3 1w power Led should do the job.

Thread Starter #35
Hey Shantanu,

Is this fevibond an alternative for soldering ? I mean, is pasting the connections good enough than soldering. Waiting for a quick reply
No, the LEDs have to be soldered only. I have used fevibond to fix the plastic cover to the light assembly.

rather than making an array of leds, you can go individual 1w leds. they are cheap and much brighter than small 5mm leds. just 2-3 1w power Led should do the job.
You are right, but the array looks good when lighted up. BTW the 1W LED also requires a Heatsink and may need little ventilation.

bhvm

Honoured Member
No, the LEDs have to be soldered only. I have used fevibond to fix the plastic cover to the light assembly.

You are right, but the array looks good when lighted up. BTW the 1W LED also requires a Heatsink and may need little ventilation.
yes, you could use a small piece of aluminium. I've also used a Copper coin in past. I was thinking about using a single 5w Led and pushing in where original bulb was- that could prevent opening the light assembly. however you'd loose the Led array look, unfortunately.
these days small smd Led bulbs are available that fit just like your old bulbs. wonder how they work sans heatsink.

Thread Starter #37
these days small smd Led bulbs are available that fit just like your old bulbs. wonder how they work sans heatsink.
The SMD bulbs that you are talking about uses the LED which are used in LED strips. These don't require any heat sink.

I have seen your LED light project on an other website. You have used LED drivers there. What if we don't use any driver and connect 4 nos of 1W LED in a series and connect it to 12V.
BTW what is the price of 1W LED in our city.

bhvm

Honoured Member
The SMD bulbs that you are talking about uses the LED which are used in LED strips. These don't require any heat sink.

I have seen your LED light project on an other website. You have used LED drivers there. What if we don't use any driver and connect 4 nos of 1W LED in a series and connect it to 12V.
BTW what is the price of 1W LED in our city.
you are right that the smd leds are same as the ones used in Led strips. part number is 3528. there is better version called 5050. unfortunately, my research indicates that such ready made led 'bulbs' last only a few months. the rule in led is, If no heatsink- STAY AWAY!

I guess you are talking about by Led headlights?
the Led is have used are very high quality and costly. they can be driven upto 5w per piece. as an headlight will be on for long duration, it was wise to invest in Led driver for reliablity and longer life.

you MAY connect a series of 4pc 1w power led directly to 13v supply, but better test them with your multi meter that they are not drawing more than 300ma . a heatsink will be MUST with any currents larger than 100ma
use resistors to bring them to about 300ma If they're drawing more.

cost for Chinese ones is 25-30 per piece. buy ones with star board.
cost for USA (cree ) or Seoul is about 500 to 750 rupees.

Thread Starter #39
you are right that the smd leds are same as the ones used in Led strips. part number is 3528. there is better version called 5050. unfortunately, my research indicates that such ready made led 'bulbs' last only a few months. the rule in led is, If no heatsink- STAY AWAY!
I tried to make some of these 6SMD wedge bulbs using 3528, but soldering them is a tedious job. You are correct. All these SMD based LEDs require some heat-sinks. Few SMDs from the water proof LED strip fixed near the Headlight have stopped working and deformed. I think its due to the heat from headlight.

I guess you are talking about by Led headlights?
Yes, I was talking about the headlights.
the Led is have used are very high quality and costly. they can be driven upto 5w per piece. as an headlight will be on for long duration, it was wise to invest in Led driver for reliablity and longer life.

you MAY connect a series of 4pc 1w power led directly to 13v supply, but better test them with your multi meter that they are not drawing more than 300ma . a heatsink will be MUST with any currents larger than 100ma
use resistors to bring them to about 300ma If they're drawing more.
The LEDs that I have bought are drawing 200ma. 4 of them were soldered in series and placed on a Heat sink. This was connected to a UPS battery yesterday evening and the lights are still on.

cost for Chinese ones is 25-30 per piece. buy ones with star board.
cost for USA (cree ) or Seoul is about 500 to 750 rupees.
I have bought the 1W LEDs without star board at Rs5 per piece.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I have bought the 1W LEDs without star board at Rs5 per piece.
1. yes they have deformed due to headlights heat.
2. if they're drawing 200ma, they're half watt leds. pretty decent still. where did you buy them?
3. A proper 1w Led shall draw 350 ma at 3.2-3.5 typical volts. 500ma is 2w. 700ma is 3w and 1000ma is 5w. it is always a good idea to de-rate the leds to increase their lifespan and efficiency. such as 350ma led shall be driven at 300ma and 200ma one at 150ma.
4. without star, it could be little difficult to handle and solder.

else, would you like to buy ready made led headlights? how much can you pay for the same? just a general idea.

hey Shantanu.lko ,

can you help me for making such led f1 style blinkers . what is the circuit which leds to use red leds /white leds with red cover / red smds. i used this circuit but not worked at all. can you help with any other circuit or see the circuit that it should control the flasher speed rate ??

images (14).jpg
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Thread Starter #42
hey Shantanu.lko ,

can you help me for making such led f1 style blinkers . what is the circuit which leds to use red leds /white leds with red cover / red smds. i used this circuit but not worked at all. can you help with any other circuit or see the circuit that it should control the flasher speed rate ??

View attachment 95988
View attachment 95989
Hi,
Welcome to TAI. Sorry, I don't know much about the blinkers. I'll try to find out some proper working circuit and post the details soon.

Hi,
Welcome to TAI. Sorry, I don't know much about the blinkers. I'll try to find out some proper working circuit and post the details soon.
HI,
Understanding my query and trying to solve it is lot , if you find or anybody you know that will tell me correct please suggest me .

thanks,
2308lover

dear shantanu IKO,
Just saw your diy for tail lamps. just plain simple and good looking. no high funda electronics et all.

please tell us how did you remove the tail light lenses (the red and orange ones). because they are stuck to the taillight housing with a special adhesive which is very hard to remove.

I am wanting to try the led for my car too. typically the tail + brake and the reverse lights.

your reply will be highly appreciated.

regards

mandar

dear shantanu IKO,
Just saw your diy for tail lamps. just plain simple and good looking. no high funda electronics et all.

please tell us how did you remove the tail light lenses (the red and orange ones). because they are stuck to the taillight housing with a special adhesive which is very hard to remove.

I am wanting to try the led for my car too. typically the tail + brake and the reverse lights.

your reply will be highly appreciated.

regards

mandar
Well, his last activity on the forum was on "30th April 2015 10:40 AM". Lets hope he gets back to you. [:)]

Top Bottom