DIY - Leather covering the gear knob of Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends, am new to TAI. Let me start with a simple DIY which i have done for my maruti 800. This was done 1 year back.

Materials used: leather, needle, thread, knife, masking tape, scissors, pliers, pen, tweezers etc.

Sorry for the low quality images, shot with mobile camera. anyway you can figure it out[;)].

01.jpg

covering the knob with masking tape
02.jpg

fully covered knob
03.jpg

after that draw some lines where it need cutting. cut the masking tape through the line. you can try different shapes according to your desire. According to this you will get 4 shapes for stitch together.
04.jpg

peel off the tape. then you will get the desired shapes which help to cut the leather for covering.
05.jpg

06.jpg

cut leather according to the shapes.
07.jpg

start stitch with the three portions, the outer and two sides.
08.jpg

09.jpg

after completing the side stitching, put the knob inside.
10.jpg

11.jpg

then begin with the inside portion. be careful not to tighten the stitches, we can do it at the end.
12.jpg

complete the stitch untightened.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

after completing the stitching tighten the stitches one by one from both sides with the help of tweezers.i used simple type of stitches. so tightening was easier. push the remaining ends of leather inside the knob hole and stitch it for completion.
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Here is the final product.
more are coming(sorry, that also with low quality images) for those who love to do something for their M800 themselves.

Regards,
Sreejesh.

350Z

Core Team
Re: DIY- Leather covering the gear knob of Maruti 800

Fantastic DIY Sreejesh. Reading through it put a smile on my face. :smile: It really shows the efforts that you have done to perform this DIY. Can we please have a picture of gear knob fitted back on the lever? Also, how did you remove this knob? Thanks for sharing with us!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
Jalex, thank you.

@350Z, i removed it like twisting anticlockwise. Got it removed easily.

gear knob.jpg

the leather is not polished, thats why its looking dull.
you can see another DIY which i have done- remote petrol lid opener. Now i dont have the photos with me. Will post it later.

Excellent DIY buddy. I guess the stitch work must have been the toughest part of this job.

Fantastic that’s the first rejoinder pop up when I saw the knob.
The stitches represent the professional touch.
If I would have seen this without knowledge of your DIY would have definitely rated the creation as commercial product.
Keen to know about your experience of remote petrol lid opener.

350Z

Core Team
Yes. You are indeed a pro with DIYs. Please do share with us the Petrol lid opener DIY soon. Good Job.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom