DIY - How To Remove Sunfilms From Your Car

Re: Supreme Court’s Order – No Sunfilms Allowed from 4th May 2012

Even, I did this. Parked the car in sun for about 2-3 hours. Used blade to get the edge out. Then used my hand to pull it out, spraying Colin intermittently whenever it used to give some resistance. Finished the 4 windows and 2 quarter glasses in 15 minutes.
Since the rear glass had defogger, was extra careful with it, but even it came off in less than 30 minutes. Luckily for me, no left out gum on the glass. Just used colin to clean the glass again.

But feel really bad seeing it standing out in sun with no sunfilms [cry]

Last edited by a moderator:

For removing the left out gum,

diluted toothpaste in 100 ml water,
used the old tooth brush,

touched the solution and brushed few times over the affected area repeated again in another 5 minutes [:D] its clean

thanks colgate

but while driving didnt felt the chillness as before, and even with A/C little bit sweating was their due to direct sun light.

Last edited:

Today I tried to remove the sun films myself and it ended up with a mess. The whole glasses are sticky. Tried to clean it with Colin and nail polish remover but of no use[cry]. Could anyone suggest how to remove those stains? The last option would be to take to a workshop. In my area there are charging around 250 to 350 rs.

I am attached the pics captured from my mobile.

Attachments

@Serrao: If you have a steam iron, use the steam to soak the gum and then try pulling it away using a finger wrapped with some rough cloth.
I've not tried this personally but that might work.

Today I tried to remove the sun films myself and it ended up with a mess. The whole glasses are sticky. Tried to clean it with Colin and nail polish remover but of no use[cry]. Could anyone suggest how to remove those stains? The last option would be to take to a workshop. In my area there are charging around 250 to 350 rs.

I am attached the pics captured from my mobile.

No issues buddy, Just use Petrol or Diesel to clean... it will get remove easily..[:)]

Just use Petrol or Diesel to clean... it will get remove easily..[:)]
Please be careful with plastic, cloth & painted surfaces when using petrol/diesel.
Esp with the qual of interior materials, it can be risky

try easy of bang / mr muscle it has ammonia in it i suppose and will help to get rid of the gum. Don't use diesel or petrol your car interiors will reek of it and it can discolor plastic acetone as well.

Thread Starter #39
Hi Serrao, use a bit of diesel, if you are scared, just mix shampoo with water use a spray bottle and spray, remove it using a blade. (Blade available in hardware shops which the use it while painting housing to fill up gaps, I have shown in the 1st page, cost 5rs)

Didnt read the DIYs earlier and removed the films of our 11 yr old without parking in sun.Film came off without fuss but gum didn't. Gum is all over just like the photos posted above.. tried colin,kerosene,soap.. didn't budge. Only paint thinner needs to be tried.(Also planning to now put it in sun).Any other suggestions?

And now, supreme court after directing to remove sunfilms, will we be fined if we wear sunglasses/goggles inside the car ? [glasses]

Thank you for suggestion. I was a bit scared about using putty blade. do didnt use it.But, in the afternoon, remembered the paint thinner at home. used it and it went clean (some places remaining here and there but with another wipe,should be gone) [:)]

Removed the Sunfilm...How to clean the windows.

I had installed Lumar sunfilms on my i10 last year. But, here in Punjab cops are not allowing any kind of sunfilms on cars. They stopped me twice and took fine [;)]. So, I finally decided to remove the sunfilms.

I removed them myself at home. But now the window glasses are sticky. I tried many things to clean it but the sticky thing remain on the glass. Now all four windows are stuck. I cant roll up or down. They just move half inch and stop.

Please advice me how to clean the sticky thing off the glass.

I've already used shampoo, colin etc .

Thanks.

Re: Removed the Sunfilm...How to clean the windows.

Use petrol this time,it will work.Take a cloth,dip it in petrol and rub with slightly tight hand and see the magic.

Top Bottom