DIY - How To Remove Sunfilms From Your Car

Hi,
Varun. Excellent thread and excellent timing!. Yesterday I removed film from my car. Will post the snaps shortly.
Regards.

Just wanted to know, what if I completely black out/ heavy tint for the rear quarter glass. I dont think the cops will any have issues with it. Because atleast the rear passengers necks wont be sweating badly & also the luggage items will be hidden, from the side view. Car + Summer + NO SUN films + weak/no ac = fried chiken [frustration]

Last edited:
Very helpful DIY Varun Thank you for this! BTW I didn't removed cool film because I hope someone will give a stay on the order.

Guys I removed sunfilm from my car today. Whole thing went like a piece of cake. It took me about 20 mins to remove from side windows. The rear one took about half an hour, as I was extra careful not to damage the defogger.
I used:
  • Small knife
  • Mr muscle (any household glass cleaner).
  • A soft towel
  • News paper
Varun, I didn't use diesel or petrol, as in my case no adhesive or film residue was left back on the glass. Just wiping with cleaner and newspaper did the job.
Well, stay is given or not, I am done with sunfilms. No more for my car.

Thread Starter #21
Hi,
Varun. Excellent thread and excellent timing!. Yesterday I removed film from my car. Will post the snaps shortly.
Regards.
Thanks, post the pic's how do you feel now after the tints removed.

Just wanted to know, what if I completely black out/ heavy tint for the rear quarter glass. I dont think the cops will any have issues with it. Because atleast the rear passengers necks wont be sweating badly & also the luggage items will be hidden, from the side view. Car + Summer + NO SUN films + weak/no ac = fried chiken [frustration]
I guess if they won't find any thing they might end up asking fine for the tint on that glass..[frustration]

Very helpful DIY Varun Thank you for this! BTW I didn't removed cool film because I hope someone will give a stay on the order.
Thanks, lets see if some one brings a stay order, it would be helpful for many others..

Guys I removed sunfilm from my car today. Whole thing went like a piece of cake. It took me about 20 mins to remove from side windows. The rear one took about half an hour, as I was extra careful not to damage the defogger.
I used:
  • Small knife
  • Mr muscle (any household glass cleaner).
  • A soft towel
  • News paper
Varun, I didn't use diesel or petrol, as in my case no adhesive or film residue was left back on the glass. Just wiping with cleaner and newspaper did the job.
Well, stay is given or not, I am done with sunfilms. No more for my car.
Great, so how did you manage to remove it from the rear as you have a defogger, please post so that it will be helpful to others too.
As your car is new so there was no gum left out when peeling off the tint paper.

Removed sunfilm from my car myself but feeling very sad, that I had placed it just 20days ago. Took me about one hour. Used a new surgical blade and the whole film came out in one piece. Luckily mine is a 2011 Skoda Fabia so didn't have to worry about the rear defogger.[:)]. There was some adhesive left which was removed by using a pinch of spirit which I took from the casualty.[evil]. Hospital staff were more than happy to help me out. Yes...... Lucky I am. Today I was driving in the afternoon and realised how much the sunfilm helped in better cooling of the cabin. [sad]

I was worried about defogger, especially. But it was quite easy.
Sometimes rear glass is covered with one single piece of sun film. But in most cases, its in multiple sheets. In my case it was 3 sheets, with slight overlap (Lower most was fitted first and top one last). I started from top. Later I realised I should have started from bottom. Anyways keep following in mind:
  • If the film is one piece, start from any convenient point, else as in my case, start with the piece which was installed last.
  • Since the defogger strips run widthwise (parallel to base), peeling off the films in same direction (left to right or vice versa) will have lesser chance of damage.
  • Keeping the car in direct sunlight for a few hours before the job might help in loosening the adhesive a bit.
  • While peeling off, keep spraying glass cleaner liquid at regular interval. It helped me a lot.
Following fotos might help you.
It was easy for me as the film was new. But I feel it wont be much difficult in older ones too.

Attachments

They will stop you and make you roll up the windows......[evil]
They are very much aware of tricks we could even think of. Its what they are doing on daily basis. I feel it wont help much.

what if we roll down the windows when we see police checking ?
They won't check out the rear glass ha? And what if you travel alone?

Finally removed the sun-films from our cars, Thanks to Varun for bringing this thread; it helped us in peeling off the sun films.

12052012048.jpg

Observations:
1) Branded ones like Garware, 3M are thick by quality so they come off without leaving any bits

Some more points from my side:
1) Peel the films very slowly and with patience, you can finish tearing fast. Remember Hands are the best tools to remove sun films
2) Use Glass cleaners very often, they help in fast removal and without scratches
12052012049.jpg
3) Peel the films in the manner that you shouldn't leave the corner parts else
they will give you tough time.

4) Colin spary is enough to wipe the glued substances in the glasses, you have to rub it with a rough cloth.

Last edited:
yes vishwas they will check but the trick is they will not be able to see the rear first . and yes i travel alone all the time.[:)]

heard that there is some stay order by garware company . so for no big actions on sunfilm in my area. will wait for some time and i will proceed

Re: Supreme Court’s Order – No Sunfilms Allowed from 4th May 2012

today morning parked my vehicle under hot sun for 3 hours,

havent used blade or anything just with my hand able to peal of all the sun flim (each glass sun film) in one piece, even the rear glass it came off smoothly with out much trace and defogger is fine checked.

dont try my method its easy but risky, the film on my figo is a local make

just need to use kerosine to remove the remaining few left out gum

so for me the cost is not even 15 rupees including kerosine

Top Bottom