DIY: Honda City Damping + Door Inner & Door Pad Cleaning

Thread Starter #1
I was eagerly awaiting this weekend for this DIY. Purchased the required material 3 days back (list as follows)
1) Yoga mats (2 Nos)
2) Fevicol SR (500 ml)
3) Thinner (500 ml)

Friday being holiday, started the work early in the morning (by 6am) to escape from hot sun. Removing the door pads took around 1 hour, then realised that I haven't taken any snaps[frustration]

Took few snaps after removing the door pads and the plastic cover on the door. Wiped-off the black paste (to stick the plastic cover) using a old CD. Never thought that wiping and cleaning that black paste could take me 3 hours. That was very sticky and consumed my thursday's news paper + 2 CDs + around 1 sq.m of cloth.

Around 10am I could feel the hot sun, dropped all my tools inside the car and left out to meet my friends.

Returned after lunch and started cleaning the door pads. Fabric door pads were dirty enough when the arm rest cover & door handles were removed. It took more than 3 hours to remove the power window switches and complete shampoo wash and fit the power window switches and door pockets back. A big smile on face seeing them back in shape.

Went out for a short tea break.

Started the job again by 6.00 pm. Inside the door I could find lot of dust and few plastic parts (plastic inserts to hold the wires) fixed them in place again, taken the car to nearby puncture shop and cleaned the door inner with compressed air.
Cleaned the water vent holes and wiped the sheet metal area with wet cloth.
Taken out the mates, cut them into shapes matching the profile. Applied Fevicol in mats as well as the door and let them dry for a couple of minutes. Pasted them and given a gentle press.

Let it dry for the whole night and in the morning checked each an every corners and fitted back the door pads. Taken a short drive in rough roads, I couldn't believe that my DIY did it's job atleast 80%. No rattles at all. All I could hear is the tyre noise (thanks to my tyres) Earlier my doors used to rattle for each and every pot hole. But now there is no rattle even for big pot holes.

Sorry guys, I could not click detailed snaps, as I stay alone and no one to help me / click. Front LH door is the only snap that completely damped. All other snaps were taken during work-in-progress. On all 4 doors mat was pasted in the similar manner as the front left.

DSCN2649.jpg
Material (Mat, Fevicol & Thinner)
DSCN2624.jpg
DSCN2625.jpg
DSCN2627.jpg
DSCN2628.jpg
DSCN2630.jpg
DSCN2632.jpg
Have a look at the black paste, I spend most of the time in removing them
DSCN2636.jpg
See how dirty is the inside. Sharp edges tasted my blood while cleaning them.
DSCN2657.jpg
Front RH door during work in progress (got a call from my fiancee while pasting the mat, taken these snaps by that time)
DSCN2656.jpg
DSCN2670.jpg
DSCN2671.jpg
Front LH door after COMPLETE damping
DSCN2640.jpg
DSCN2639.jpg
DSCN2641.jpg
Arm rest and power window switches removed for cleaning
DSCN2638.jpg
Tooo many screws to remove the arm rest and door pockets (front)
DSCN2647.jpg
DSCN2643.jpg
DSCN2644.jpg
DSCN2645.jpg
Dirty Door pads
DSCN2646.jpg
Door pads after shampoo wash
DSCN2658.jpg
Front door pads in place

Short photo session yesterday night
DSCN2654.jpg
DSCN2652.jpg

Last edited:
Great, finally you have completed the damping...You have done very neatly..

By the way you have not damped inside the door (metal)..
So you could have cleaned that tar like material (black one)..

Thread Starter #3
Great, finally you have completed the damping...You have done very neatly..
Thanks dude

By the way you have not damped inside the door (metal)...
Little bit worried if water get clogged, I will end up with a rusted door. I have seen a live example (not with yoga mats) getting rusted inside.

So you could have cleaned that tar like material (black one)..
Wiped that black paste with a old CD, then with thinner. Few traces were left as I don't want to remove them along with the paint [evil]

Thread Starter #4
After 2 days still I could smell Fevicol inside the car (though I have perfume inside) Taken to office today, purposely driven over all road patches and pot holes.

I could hear some rattle noise from dashboard. Found few coins and hair clips (thanks to my fiancee) inside the glove box. After removing them not even a single rattle.

Happy happy happy [:)]

Nice DIY Mr. Boss
I also Use Yoga Mats But I Damped Back of my front door panels instead of sticking it on Door Body (Sorry No Pic,As I am Alone to Do this All)
In Btw u use How Much mm Yoga Mats ..6mm or 4mm ?

Thread Starter #6
Nice DIY Mr. Boss
I also Use Yoga Mats But I Damped Back of my front door panels instead of sticking it on Door Body (Sorry No Pic,As I am Alone to Do this All)
In Btw u use How Much mm Yoga Mats ..6mm or 4mm ?
Thanks man. Totally forgot about my own thread (more than 2 years old now)
BTW, I used 6mm mats.

Top Bottom