DIY: Ford Figo USB Addition (Step-By-Step Procedure)

Thread Starter #1
Guys,
Here is my another DIY thread, this time to add USB for Ford Figo Titanium.

Background:
Figo is now available with USB option in OE music player. The same unit was used earlier, but without the USB port. Worst part is, player remained same only the USB port / cable was missed intentionally (to add them during a facelift). Friend of mine had such a Figo and badly needed USB port (playing music through Bluetooth drained the phone battery in no matter of time, and keep burning CDs isn't that practical)

Came across few posts elsewhere about adding USB to Ford Figo OE player and informed him about the same. Then came in mind, Why not try it?

Parts / Equipments required:
1) Ford Figo with OE player
Trust me, without this you can't proceed further. Don't kick me please

2) U-Clamp
I made it (another DIY) with a pair of bicycle spokes. There are few available in eBay, but with my earlier experience with Fiat Linea I used this jugad one (successfully)
Cost: 4 INR (2 x 2 INR)
01.JPG

3) USB Cable (with female end)
Ask for 1m USB extension cable (don't go for cheaper ones, inner wires will be so thin and they don't last longer. Get a decent one)
Cost: 80 INR
02.JPG

4) Clips (female - push type) (don't know what is it called as)
Taken this snap from Google and with this reference I could get it from a nearby electronics shop. We need 4 such sockets.
Cost: 20 INR (4 x 5 INR)
03.JPG

5) Heat Shrinkable sleeve
I couldn't get heat shrinkable sleeves, so settled for regular sleeves (insulators) Even a insulation tape should do the job pretty well, but a heat shrinkable sleeve will be more professional and long lasting. (image source: google)
_IGP6837_heat_shrink_sleeves_red_blu.jpg

6) Other Equipments
- Wire stripper
- Soldering station
- Heater gun (if heat shrinkable sleeve is used)
- Insulation tape (if required)

Procedure
Note: Before starting the process make sure you have the Radio lock code with you (it is mentioned in the owners manual or inside the glove box) Without this you may end up with a locked audio system and you should run to the A.S.S to get the code / unlock the radio.

Before removing the head unit, it is better to prepare the cabling part.
- Cut the Male end of USB cable (make sure twice you cut only the Male end)
- In general USB cable will have the below color coding wires
RED
GREEN
WHITE
BLACK
04.JPG

- Insert the sleeves to each wire
- Now solder & crimp the clips to each wire
- Slide the sleeves to cover the soldered portion and the metal clip
- Use heater gun to shrink the sleeves (if heat shrinkable sleeves are used)
(I forgot to take these snaps[frustration]. Realized while creating this thread)

Now the cable part is ready for installation.

- Insert (gently) the U-Clamp into the head unit holes
- You should be able to feel some resistance and after a point it will be easy to get in. Stop it here (or bring back few mm)
- Push both the clamps outwards (LH towards LH & RH towards RH) and gently pull the U-Clamps (simultaneously)
- Head unit should slide outside easily
05.JPG

Now coming to the wiring part
- This is how the head unit rear should look like
07.JPG

08.JPG
- Connect the wires in below order
1 - WHITE
2 - BLACK
4 - RED
6 - GREEN

- Route the USB cable on the rear side and place the female end inside the glove box or near the Cup holders.
- Now you are ready with the USB setup
- Switch on the head unit
- It will ask for the Radio Code
- Use the number keys to enter the code
Example, if the radio code is 2468, Press
"1" key twice
"2" key 4 times
"3" key 6 times
"4" key 8 times
"6" key to confirm

- Connect a USB drive to the cable (make sure you have mp3 songs loaded)
- Press "SRC" (source) button, choose "USB"
- "READING MEMORY" will be displayed in the HU
- Player will start playing the songs from the USB [clap]

That's it. Project success.

10.JPG

11.JPG

Last edited:
Kudos Boss. That's an brilliant DIY. I completely agree that this piece of wire just doesn't justify the exorbitant rate, 1100 bucks. Well done.

Thats a neat way to do it awesome man, in between are there any plastic seals or stickers that will get damaged while opening the HU, One of my friends Ford Classic after removing HU he broke some small plastic clip that is now creating problems like rattles when at big bumps, anything like that inside in Figo?

Thread Starter #6
in between are there any plastic seals or stickers that will get damaged while opening the HU, One of my friends Ford Classic after removing HU he broke some small plastic clip that is now creating problems like rattles when at big bumps, anything like that inside in Figo?
No such locks / clips here. I hope the same is applicable for classic as well. Your friend might have broken some surrounding parts.

Thread Starter #7
A piece of information,

Ford Classic CLXi has a similar player (without USB / Bluetooth symbol printed on the HU) and USB will not work in it (sadly). Before pulling out the HU, make sure you have USB symbol printed on the HU.

Hi there

First thank you for very useful post and i have an issue regarding to the radio lock. The pin was entered wrongly several times and it leads to CODE LOCK. Do you have any suggestions for me before i take it to the service center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi..
Thats a nice post. Everything well explained.
Would like to see if you can help me on the below subject.
Do you have any suggestion for adding additional speakers with amplifier & sub for the new ford figo 2015?
Please advise.
Regards
Milind

Hi..
Thats a nice post. Everything well explained.
Would like to see if you can help me on the below subject.
Do you have any suggestion for adding additional speakers with amplifier & sub for the new ford figo 2015?
Please advise.
Regards
Milind
Hi. Can you tell me what speakers are there in your car and at what locations?

By additional speakers, do you mean adding more number of speakers or change existing ones to something better?

Budget for the upgrade?

Thread Starter #14
as you have posted that we have to enter the radio code...what is that[confused]
Most of the OE fitted HUs come with a security code to avoid HU theft (but the fact is Radio code can be generated easily via apps / sites, that's another story) Once the power source is disconnected and connected again, the HU will ask to enter the radio code without which one couldn't use any of the HU functions.

Most of the OE fitted HUs come with a security code to avoid HU theft (but the fact is Radio code can be generated easily via apps / sites, that's another story) Once the power source is disconnected and connected again, the HU will ask to enter the radio code without which one couldn't use any of the HU functions.
Hello from South Africa, I'm trying to install a ford Figo radio in my 2014 ford Ikon. The radio I have to install is a visteon AS69-18d804-AM. See the images I attached. Can anyone assist as I don't know what the wire designations are. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams or can anyone assist with what the wires are for so I can connect myself. Thank you kindly in advance.

Guys,
Here is my another DIY thread, this time to add USB for Ford Figo Titanium.

Background:
Figo is now available with USB option in OE music player. The same unit was used earlier, but without the USB port. Worst part is, player remained same only the USB port / cable was missed intentionally (to add them during a facelift). Friend of mine had such a Figo and badly needed USB port (playing music through Bluetooth drained the phone battery in no matter of time, and keep burning CDs isn't that practical)

Came across few posts elsewhere about adding USB to Ford Figo OE player and informed him about the same. Then came in mind, Why not try it?

Parts / Equipments required:
1) Ford Figo with OE player

Trust me, without this you can't proceed further. Don't kick me please

2) U-Clamp
I made it (another DIY) with a pair of bicycle spokes. There are few available in eBay, but with my earlier experience with Fiat Linea I used this jugad one (successfully)
Cost: 4 INR (2 x 2 INR)
View attachment 159689

3) USB Cable (with female end)
Ask for 1m USB extension cable (don't go for cheaper ones, inner wires will be so thin and they don't last longer. Get a decent one)
Cost: 80 INR
View attachment 159690

4) Clips (female - push type) (don't know what is it called as)
Taken this snap from Google and with this reference I could get it from a nearby electronics shop. We need 4 such sockets.
Cost: 20 INR (4 x 5 INR)
View attachment 159691

5) Heat Shrinkable sleeve
I couldn't get heat shrinkable sleeves, so settled for regular sleeves (insulators) Even a insulation tape should do the job pretty well, but a heat shrinkable sleeve will be more professional and long lasting. (image source: google)
View attachment 159698

6) Other Equipments
- Wire stripper
- Soldering station
- Heater gun (if heat shrinkable sleeve is used)
- Insulation tape (if required)

Procedure
Note: Before starting the process make sure you have the Radio lock code with you (it is mentioned in the owners manual or inside the glove box) Without this you may end up with a locked audio system and you should run to the A.S.S to get the code / unlock the radio.

Before removing the head unit, it is better to prepare the cabling part.
- Cut the Male end of USB cable (make sure twice you cut only the Male end)
- In general USB cable will have the below color coding wires
RED
GREEN
WHITE
BLACK
View attachment 159692

- Insert the sleeves to each wire
- Now solder & crimp the clips to each wire
- Slide the sleeves to cover the soldered portion and the metal clip
- Use heater gun to shrink the sleeves (if heat shrinkable sleeves are used)
(I forgot to take these snaps[frustration]. Realized while creating this thread)

Now the cable part is ready for installation.

- Insert (gently) the U-Clamp into the head unit holes
- You should be able to feel some resistance and after a point it will be easy to get in. Stop it here (or bring back few mm)
- Push both the clamps outwards (LH towards LH & RH towards RH) and gently pull the U-Clamps (simultaneously)
- Head unit should slide outside easily
View attachment 159693

Now coming to the wiring part
- This is how the head unit rear should look like
View attachment 159694

View attachment 159695
- Connect the wires in below order
1 - WHITE
2 - BLACK
4 - RED
6 - GREEN

- Route the USB cable on the rear side and place the female end inside the glove box or near the Cup holders.
- Now you are ready with the USB setup
- Switch on the head unit
- It will ask for the Radio Code
- Use the number keys to enter the code
Example, if the radio code is 2468, Press
"1" key twice
"2" key 4 times
"3" key 6 times
"4" key 8 times
"6" key to confirm

- Connect a USB drive to the cable (make sure you have mp3 songs loaded)
- Press "SRC" (source) button, choose "USB"
- "READING MEMORY" will be displayed in the HU
- Player will start playing the songs from the USB [clap]

That's it. Project success.

View attachment 159696

View attachment 159697
Hello Sir, Can you tell me what Plug A , pins 1,4,6,7 & 8 are for. What are these used for? Thank you very much

Attachments

Top Bottom