DIY: Cheap Method of Car Damping Using Yoga Mats

Re: DIY: Cheap Method To Car Damping Using Yoga Mats

Hmmmm now eagerly waiting for the roof part. I will have to finish the rear doors then the roof. Will buy a much bigger mat this time. But this is really good at reducing rattling noise from doors

Completed damping of the rear doors too.

Removed the roof cloth & sponge, will look for moulded roof like the 800 type 2 or 3.

DSCF5964.jpg

DSCF5971.jpg

DSCF5972.jpg

DSCF5973.jpg

DSCF5975.jpg

DSCF5965.jpg

DSCF5967.jpg

DSCF5970.jpg

The only problem is during the rains when the water drips through the glass.The mats will absorb some amount of water which will cause them to stink.It also leads to rust inside.There should be a way to prevent that from happening.Lets all DIY'ers come together to find a solution [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #34

These yoga mats a made up a rubber kind of material.. will it absorb water, I guess no.

Does water enter inside the door ? what about the glass channels ?

Last edited:

Eva does absorb some amount of water, the water comes from the outer portion because you cannot seal the gap between the door garnish and the glass window.The water exits from the bottom.If the eva foam is present there it will absorb some amount of water

Wouldn't that negate the sound deadening qualities of the eva yoga mat?

The only problem is during the rains when the water drips through the glass.The mats will absorb some amount of water which will cause them to stink.It also leads to rust inside.There should be a way to prevent that from happening.Lets all DIY'ers come together to find a solution [thumbsup]
Don't wait till monsoon, even our daily wash could get sufficient amount of water inside. This is why I limited my DIY between the door pad and panel (not on the sheet metal inside)

These yoga mats a made up a rubber kind of material.. will it absorb water, I guess no.
Even if it doesn't absorb, water gets trapped between the sheet metal panel and mat (yoga mat doesn't come with flat surface)

get some plastic lamination sheets over the yoga mat. i guess this will be an easy way to fix the prob
Wouldn't that negate the sound deadening qualities of the eva yoga mat?
Point on.[thumbsup]

Exactly if your washing includes spraying water on the car, then yes it will get the water into the door and any water that doesnt escape from the sills at the bottom will stay there and cause rush from the inside.Which is what usually happens.You can see a post where ss80 posted pics of him fixing the window roller.It clearly shows the rust from the rains, that much damage from water slowing out.Imagine what would happen if the water gets trapped there for longer.In a place like mumbai the rains are unforgiving and during the rains it is common for water to come in to the car.If you have dampened the entire floor of the car using yoga mats that would be more of a problem.So for that I would suggest that you do not stick it to the floor.Incase of flooding you can remove the yoga mats and that would seem the only solution for now.Laminating them will just take away from their sound deadening qualities.The mats on the roof are not an issue if the water reaches that high, then the yoga matting would the least of your problems.

Last edited:

Hmmm the mat I have bought says it is a type of PVC product. Yes it is built/ made like a sponge where air bubbles are there inside it. The bubbles are very tiny. I have installed the mats only on the door (just behind the pad) on the front doors. For the back doors I have pasted the mat on the inner portion too. However The bottom drain holes aren't closed. They are still open. Should this be an issue? Because removing or even trying to remove the mat isnt that easy as pasting it. Pull it and one layer will be stuck to the surface and one layer will be in my hands in bits & pieces.

Removing it sure is a problem, trust me I have experienced it first hand[frustration]If the mats absorb/retain any amount of water during the rains, it will result in rust which is the worst enemy of old cars.The entry of water cannot be stopped because there needs to be some gap for the windows to roll up and down.One solution is to cover the car during the rains or use of a waterproof cover.Just remember to uncover it when it doesn't rain.Also a good idea to remove moisture would be to get those small packets of silica gel and drop a few in there after the rains.

Thread Starter #43

You need to use a screw driver to pull it or use a U shape clip to pull it out..

i dont have much space between the door and door pad. the seat cover people said that if i do damping in nano door pads have to be drilled and fixed to the door :(

Thread Starter #45

Can you post a pic ? You can do it for the inner portion of the door..

Top Bottom