DIY Alternator Upgrade of Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
This thread is specially dedicated for small car owners, (800,alto,zen,omni,etc)

When people install ICE, and other electrical accessories have you thought of the the charging capacity of the alternator\ battery.

Here comes my issue, I have an 100\90 head lamp wiring kit, 55 watt fog lamps. (now planning to get an amp\sub)
When ever I use both my horn doesn't work, other lights get dim, at night times in signals if I turn off my engine, then I am gone, it wont crank as the battery would not have been charged.

Not only me many others are facing same problems. [frustration]

My questions-

-Can we upgrade the alternator (which produces more amps),
-Will it fit to same position\ alteration required ?
-Will the ECU have some issues if thr is more power is produced ?

800's alternator charges upto 35 amps.
Zen\alto -40 - 45 amps
Esteem - 50 amps
Swift - 65-70 amps.

Now my plan is get get an esteem's or swifts alternator, but I am thinking about the battery and the wiring. (ECU)

Pls Help ..[:)]

Re: Alternator Upgrade

Hi guys,

Even I am planning to upgrade my 800's alternator to that of swift. It would be of much help if someone can throw some light on this. Especially on the mounting part. If the mount would be different and if so what could be done to alter the mounts.

Thanks in advance

Re: Alternator Upgrade

why not install capacitor for sub
A cap won't work in this scenario since it would anyhow drain the battery.

I would say esteem's alternator would be a safe bet. But doing so we are looking at a loooot of changes.

You would have to rewire everything to cater to higher amperage production. Stock battery would have to be changed. Starter motor protection circuit would have to be added since not we are getting more current. I guess esteem's solenoid can be used here or maybe old gen Zen's too.

Biggest and most imp. change would be to circuitry connected to ECU. Also, a few fuses might blow up too.

I am not terrifying you buddy, but if you plan to traverse this path get it done professionally. [thumbsup]

freakdude.

Thread Starter #6
But any how now planning for just 10-15 amps upgrade with zen alternator, even I have inquired with the electrician he told no need of any changes.. Can I trust him ?
There is no other go for me, as the load is more. So pls guide me further.

why not install capacitor for sub
Hi mastersquall, Here my problem is not only about the sub\amp, but many other accessories\equipments like the blower,fog lamp,power windows,head lamps.
Though I wont use all of them at a time but atleast 2 at a time..

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Alternator Upgrade After Installing Heavy Electrical Accessories?

Does upgrading alternator a good choice? If yes then do let me know how to get it done on my i10 auto.

If i turn my eps extreme left or right, then there is dimming of headlamps, cabin lights and fog lamps. There is some major design flaw in EPS and steering assembly in all i10's and i20's

For amit's situation.
at extreme end , only you know its extreme point and the motor doesnt and tries to steer/help for you. since it find it difficult , it draws more power and hence dimming of other lights .
it will be mentioned in every manual not to turn and keep hold in extremes. just a fraction of point away from extreme , once your steering hit the extreme point.

Regarding alternator upgrade , its always welcome , if you are loading accessories.
get it done with a experienced electrician.

Thread Starter #9

ilango[speed thirst];109073 said:
Regarding alternator upgrade , its always welcome , if you are loading accessories.
get it done with a experienced electrician.

Thanks for your suggestion, I was waiting for ur reply..[:)]
Will there be any problem for the ECU, yesterday I bought an swift's alternator 70 amps, planning to fix it. Need ur suggesstions, and what all
modifications need to be done (wiring\mounting).

Thread Starter #10

Hi friends, the mission impossible [;)] project was started by me and our member vols60.

Need your guidance for mouting the alternator.
We had fabricated a new mount, after many tries\errors we got the exact design. Now every thing is finshed (70%), the only thing left is the wiring,change of the socket (power),belt adjustment.

One major problem is, the mount which we fabricated is almost touching the front chasis (where engine bedding is placed). The OEM mounting is 1& half inches above the chasis but the one which we fabricated is only half inch above the chasis.
So when we have load on the engine the mount may touch the chasis [frustration].

Experts please help.

Please find the below pictures,
Painted with black is OEM mount, the other one is fabricated by us.
The pic with the alternator describes our problem.

Attachments

Thread Starter #12

ilango[speed thirst];110178 said:
Just shake the engine with hand. does it touch the chassis.

hope its not a big problem.
I think it wont touch.. but does the engine shake so much ??

Just start and stop the engine . that is the maximum shake.
a bit more if car is passing over a pothole. just shake with hands. that is the maximum travel.

Thread Starter #14

What if the car is climbing on the hills\up with full load ?

The engine would shake on reving, but it would move backwards and your alternator is at the front. You can easily drive without the alternator for around 30-40 kms (as long as battery is good), and check for any clearance issues

FYI zen has a 50A alternator, and no matter how much current is produced, it will not affect the appliance connected, just connect your mobile charger (6A) to a 60A electric output and see how it charges merrily :P

Last edited:

Top Bottom