Discussion on Road Safety in India

350Z

Core Team
Re: Road Safety in India - The Discussion

Read this creative slogan by BRO as seen on a highway.

safety.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

One more thing I want to add, people turn on the indicators, never turn off them, we people behind them thinking that he will take a turn here, there..[frustration]

And these cabs, autos stop any where in the road all of a sudden with out any indications.[frustration]This can be noticed in all major cities.

As the country’s fast-growing economy and huge population raise its importance on the world stage, the rising toll is a reminder that the government still struggles to keep its more than a billion people safe. The dangerous state of the roads represents a total failure on the part of our government. The authorities seem to know it all but do not take heed of anyone, while carnage continues on Indian roads.

There are a lot of such signs in the hilly roads of Uttarakhand in fact once I was also doing about 70 kph on one such road and had to brake suddenly as the turn was a bit too sharp for even 40 kph and then my car stopped(Swift it was)after it struck a sidewall and on the sidewall was a hoarding saying "Drive safe,someone is waiting for you at home".

Rest I feel that except the NCR,the traffic conditions in whole country are like everybody wants to reach nowhere.Still MY VOTE GOES FOR THE TRUCKERS AS I FIND THEM THE BEST DRIVERS OVERALL..the long distance truckers are very calm and predictable drivers.They use all the signals,follow all the rules and drive safe too.Also they are very helpful too in case you need their help.
While the short distance truckers(especially the ones who are paid according to the trips) and SRTC buses are the worst and most dangerous drivers.
ICE ROAD TRUCKERS is a fantastic show,only problem is that my Airtel Digital TV does not offer this new History channel.So I watch this show at my friend's house.

A classic example of road rage -

https://www.facebook.com/notes/karun...98124546874667

Words of Karuna Rao from Facebook -

Below is an account of the incident that happened with me Wedneday last week.

Place: Gautam Nagar, MIDC at Akruti StarSignal
Date & Time: 16th November 2011 between 8:00 to 8:30 PM

While returning home from work, I stopped at a red signal, when a biker from the opposite direction swerved very close to my car while turning right and brushed my car. He instantly started abusing me and accusing me of jumping the signal. I believe I might have only startled him a little but definitely did not hit him. He looked crass and I didn’t want to waste my efforts reasoning with him, so instead I simply signaled him to carry on and waited. But to my surprise the man started making lewd gestures at me leaving me embarrassed and uncomfortable. In spite of my efforts to ignore this he kept at it and refused to budge from the front of my car. When my signal turned green, I gestured again for him to move but he continued with his mocking behavior. When others around starting making noise he started moving away but before that he kicked my car bumper hard.

Annoyed by this, I rolled down my car window intending to question him why he was behaving so when I had done nothing at all to offend him. The moment my window was down, the man charged towards me and to my utter surprise began assaulting me with his fist and then with his helmet even before I could open my mouth to speak. Due to this inhumane thrashing, I have sustained blunt injuries to my right jaw, nose and left eye. (I have a medical report from Cooper Hospital to prove this). I was too shocked to react but somehow managed to pull my windows back up. Seeing this, he smashed my car windshield with his helmet, leaving me in complete disbelief.

Gathering my wits and with a sudden surge of courage, I immediately got out of my car and pushed him aside as he was picking up his bike to make a getaway. I started yelling at him for his immoral conduct and pinned his bike to the ground to keep him from leaving. Paying no heed to me, he still tried to take the bike from me and when he got close I noticed that he was reeking of alcohol. I realized then he was heavily inebriated and that is why he did not even falter to hit a woman and was provoked only because I asked him to move away.

I started accusing him of drunk driving and violence against a woman in front of the crowd that had gathered. Fearing the crowd might rough him up, he left his bike in the middle of the road and walked away cursing heavily. When people advised to call the police, someone from the crowd said that the biker himself was a policeman and must have gone to get an advocate. I believe I also heard someone identify him. The crowd pointed to a police emblem sticker on his number plate which I have photographed (MH 02 CA 3848).

I went to register a complaint at MIDC police station after my friends arrived at the scene. At the police station, the cops did not even bother that I was in pain and asked me to wait. Then when they found time, they asked me to relate the incident and jotted it down into an FIR report and handed us a copy for verification. Since it was written in Marathi my friend who is fluent in the same, read it and mentioned that they had conveniently missed out the part about the biker being drunk. Upon insisting they include this information, the officer who was handling my complaint jeered at us “Itna toh kar rahe hai” and walked away saying he will have to ask his senior. After sometime he returned and due to my friend’s persistent pleas included the information as if he was doing me a huge favour. After the FIR was lodged, we asked what would happen next, the cop replied ever so coolly,“The biker will be fined Rs.1200 and we will try to reason with him to pay for your damages, although that is not our job”. I was even more shocked at hearing this. Just Rs.1200 for battering someone's face and almost killing them. Had I not pulled up my windows, I wonder if I would have survived. But, we left it at that since my head had started throbbing badly and the pain was making it presence felt all over my face.

We headed straight to Cooper Hospital, waited for about half an hour, got a medical report, got a TT shot and also had a tiny glass splinter removed from under my right foot. Thankfully, the windshield glass does not shatter into too many pieces else the nurse would have been picking glass from my face. After this tiring ordeal, my friends dropped me home and somehow I managed to sleep.

The next day after consulting some friends, who knew law, I was told the FIR I had filed was a non-cognizable one and the guy would be let off easily. So despite the pain I was going through I visited MIDC police station again and filed a cognizable FIR and took more photographs of the bike that was still lying at their premises unclaimed. I inquired whether the owner of the bike had been identified and was told that they are in the process of getting the information. Strange, because I thought the cops could easily find such information in a matter of few hours, especially since everything is computerized. They also tried to convince me that the biker was a civilian and cops cannot do such a thing.

I then took photographs of my car and my injuries. On Saturday, I sent a written complaint to the Home Minister, Director General of Police, Police Commissioner, DCP and senior PI of MIDC police station. The police have booked this man under sections 427 and 354. But this man has still not been arrested.

In spite of the injuries and pain, I haven’t rested a single day since the incident. I have been running from pillar to post to get paper work done, have been doing office work from home and have also been managing my house renovation all at the same time. I am a fighter and I will not give up for I believe justice shall be served!

@Raj:
See you people have been continuously scolding me for mentioning some violence.
Now have a look at the incident and you will find that the guy was daring enough to touch a woman and sorry to say but "OUR SO-CALLED CIVILISED SOCIETY WOULD HAVE JUST SEEN THE WHOLE DRAMA INSTEAD OF HELPING HER"
People are ready to honk,but none is ready to get the problem solved..WOW.

If I'd have been at the place,I'd have slapped the hell out of the guy.
And if the same would have happened to me,then I'd have ran over the guy with my car and if he was found a policeman then even more slaps and punches would have been given to him.
Instead this girl was not daring enough,else she would have taught the policemen in the station how to work.
As we say in Hindi "JISKI LAATHI USKI BHAINS",sometimes violence is better than peace.

350Z

Core Team
A recent press release issued by Ministry of Road Transport & Highways informs that the Govt has taken following new steps to minimize road accidents in India:
i) The Government has formulated a National Road Safety Policy. This Policy outlines various policy measures such as promoting awareness, establishing road safety information data base, encouraging safer road infrastructure including application of intelligent transport, enforcement of safety laws etc.

ii) The Government has constituted National Road Safety Council as the apex body to take policy decisions in matters of road safety. The Ministry has requested all States/UTs for setting up of State Road Safety Council and District Road Safety Committees.

iii) The Ministry has adopted a multi pronged strategy to address the issue of road safety based on four E’s of Road Safety viz. (i) Education (ii) Enforcement (iii) Engineering (roads as well as vehicles) and (iv) Emergency care .

(iv) Road safety has been made an integral part of road design at the planning stage.

(v) Road Safety Audit of selected stretches of National Highways/Expressways.

(vi) Establishment of driving training institutes and Inspection and Certification Centre.

(vii) Tightening of safety standards of vehicles like helmets, seat belts, power-steering, rear view mirror.

(viii) Publicity campaigns on road safety awareness.
Here's a list of top causes of road accidents in India

Road-Accident-Causes-India.png

Drive Safe,
350Z

The proposed bill empowers the Union government to set up a National Road Safety and Vehicle Regulation Authority of India as "a body corporate". The authority would not just advise the state and central government on road safety, vehicle design and testing matters, but will also have the power to enforce the provisions of the new Act.

It also gives centre the power to increase the fine, period of imprisonment, suspension of driving licence, etc., without the Parliament nod.

47107192.jpg

Source:ET

I almost knocked off an old man on the highway today.

The scene:
I was cruising at 70kmph. The highway was not crowded. Suddenly I see a man from a distance asking me to stop. I had to brake hard to bring the car to halt. The reason old man risked his life as he wanted to pick up some box which fell in the middle of the highway some minutes ago. [frustration] I kept my cool and allowed him to pick up the box and cross the highway.

My question is:
1) Can a box be more important than one's life?
2) Had I been in more speed, the incident could have turned more fatal. I know as per the law, it’s me who had to face the consequences even if I am not at fault as I was driving.
3) The public around would have supported the old man as I was driving and I need to stop in time no matter how insanely the person is behaving in the middle of the highway.
4) May be I would have got beaten up by the public if the man was knocked off by me.

What makes you a safer driver?

How much are you affected by road safety advertisements? Are you more influenced by scare tactics like photos of accident scenes (this is what happens when you drive dangerously) or education like road accident stats (this is why you shouldn't drive dangerously).

India trialling ‘virtual’ speed bumps.
india_virtual_speed_hump.jpg
A new program in India has seen the introduction of ‘virtual’ speed bumps, in an attempt to reduce the road toll caused by speed humps and potholes.
Over the last three decades, the number of cars on Indian roads has dramatically increased from 5 million to over 75 million vehicles.

According to India’s 2014 Road Accident Report, over 11,000 deaths have come as a result of speed bumps and potholes.

In response to this, road officials ordered the removal of all speed breakers from freeways, with arterial roads next on the hit list.

To maintain pedestrian safety without speed humps,the committee on Road transport, has come up with the idea of 3D paintings used as ‘virtual’ speed breakers.
While the main idea behind the initiative is to slow drivers down and maintain the safety of pedestrians and motorists, the installation and maintenance of virtual speed humps is much cheaper than the physical counterpart. Therefore, it works as an economic plan to reduce costs.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/439390/india-trialling-virtual-speed-bumps/

Last edited:
Traffic fines in India to be increased

Traffic fines in India to be increased : Drunk driving INR 10k, Speeding INR 4k

A serious initiative by the Govt. we still have a long way to go, to becoming responsible citizens.

On the other hand, we have trigger happy goons, netas pulling out a gun pistol, to show who is the "Road Ruler"

Source:

http://www.rushlane.com/traffic-fines-in-india-to-be-increased-12196715.html

Last edited:

Top Bottom