Disadvantages of buying an SUV over a hatch!

Thread Starter #1
I am a huge SUV lover & i love big & brawny vehicles, not puny plasticky hatches. But in my few years of ownership experience with SUVs, i have noted quite a few disadvantages of owning a SUV over a hatch or sedan. I have listed down a few & you people are free to add some more!

1) People think you are egoistic & a rude person or you maybe that "bad boy" types with political influences, since you own a SUV, especially if you have a white SUV.

2) SUV drivers are often termed as bad or rash drivers, even if they are the slowest on road.

3) Even accessories like seat covers cost more since there are bigger & more number of seats. For example, my scorpio's leather seat covers cost me 11k whereas the same covers in a sedan cost 7k!

4) Even a basic car wash & shampooing costs a fortune as SUVs are categorized as 'big cars'.

5) if you are travelling alone in a SUV, people feel you are wasting fuel, even if their petrol sedan consumes more fuel than your diesel SUV. i was asked this by a neighbour that why do i drive such a big SUV alone. this mentioned guy drives a 3.0 Accord V6!

6) SUVs are not as mod friendly as hatches!!!

7) High speed handling is a joke in SUVs.

5) Finding a parking spot is a pain.

350Z

Core Team
Practical points. But even after this - SUV remains an SUV. It has its own advantages over hatchbacks. About the term ‘Puny Plasticky’, I think there is some misconception. Not all of them are alike.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
About the term ‘Puny Plasticky’, I think there is some misconception. Not all of them are alike.
i think i should have framed it better. what i meant was-

i dislike puny plasticky hatches, i am not against all hatches. i like hatches like polo, punto & i20.

In my view the SUV Vs Hatchback is actually Big Vehicle advantages over Price+much better FE.
If the purpose is to use mostly in City and some highways, mostly with max 3-4 persons, some safer hatches make more sense than SUV. But if family is bigger, and travell a lot on bad roads etc, SUV has no competition from hatches.

SUV lovers like me will never like hatch or sedan unless like my father force me to drive hatch T_T even my rich neighbour brought BMW X6 O_O i have seen only one accord that too only used by his father he don't even touch that car.

Last edited:
I am a huge SUV lover & i love big & brawny vehicles, not puny plasticky hatches. But in my few years of ownership experience with SUVs, i have noted quite a few disadvantages of owning a SUV over a hatch or sedan. I have listed down a few & you people are free to add some more!

1) People think you are egoistic & a rude person or you maybe that "bad boy" types with political influences, since you own a SUV, especially if you have a white SUV.

Not ur fault. Look at all Netas and their BodyGuards in the white Scorp..

2) SUV drivers are often termed as bad or rash drivers, even if they are the slowest on road.

Same Reason above+ Taxi drivers.

3) Even accessories like seat covers cost more since there are bigger & more number of seats. For example, my scorpio's leather seat covers cost me 11k whereas the same covers in a sedan cost 7k!

Bigger/Expensive car = Expensive accesories.

4) Even a basic car wash & shampooing costs a fortune as SUVs are categorized as 'big cars'.

U can Always use normal car shampoo.[:D]

5) if you are travelling alone in a SUV, people feel you are wasting fuel, even if their petrol sedan consumes more fuel than your diesel SUV. i was asked this by a neighbour that why do i drive such a big SUV alone. this mentioned guy drives a 3.0 Accord V6!

Mentally unstable.

Depends.
U cant MOD an suv to be a racecar. Try making it into a hardcore offroader and u will never run out of MOd options. Try SPOA with Lockable Diffs..

Above.

Same with Big sedans.

Most of the Indian Suv's are merely luxurised UV's, and so they handle like one. Drive a SUV where S denotes Sports and some of the points will go away. Cayenne, Q7, Range Rover, Even the Outlander. And definately the Legend, The Forester.

I am a huge SUV lover & i love big & brawny vehicles, not puny plasticky hatches

Bad Comment.[anger]
Different People, Different cars.
BTW I have a Puny Hatch, which in turbo guise, will eat your Sports UV for breakfast.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
I am a huge SUV lover & i love big & brawny vehicles, not puny plasticky hatches

Bad Comment.[anger]
Different People, Different cars.
Sorry buddy if that comment hurt you. i just mentioned my personal preference & dint intend to offend anyone.

BTW I have a Puny Hatch, which in turbo guise, will eat your Sports UV for breakfast.
I am sure... so i will never race with you! problem solved. [:)]

where have i mentioned SUVs are better performers? [cheers]

this made me remember epic race of mine where my friend challenged me to race with my safari and with his i20 . I told him we have no comparison . you will win races as you have upper hand in pick-up but still he wanted to race so i said ok no problem from my side . i had around 3 girls 2 boys in my safari and in his i20 he and his friend . AT starting he had lead as we know better pick-up then my safari but still i was little bit closer to him as after driving my safari for 4years i know how to make this huge beast to pick up faster . He was in lead till he meet with traffic as my car his huge no one dared to come in-front of high speed SUV + also giving me way . But it was totally opposite for my friend . i reached finishing line and he reached 15min later we all were laughing very loud [lol] and he was like [frustration]

Later i told him it was my lucky day that traffic came between else i would have lost the race.

Last edited by a moderator:

These are exactly the reasons why dad said no to a Scop or Safari.

good comparison there but regarding SUV cornering, look at the BMW X5 or Audi Q7. Those SUVs can handle as well as many sedans and hatches!!

good comparison there but regarding SUV cornering, look at the BMW X5 or Audi Q7. Those SUVs can handle as well as many sedans and hatches!!
Exactly my point. These are the cars fit for the "S" before the UV. will put many a car to shame. But then, some lesser cars also have impressive handling. The Scorp is light years ahead of the endevour in this regard. Then there is outlander. The now discontinued Forester.

Top Bottom