Disadvantages of buying an SUV over a hatch!

Its a suv any day.

i feel i can run over small cars hehe devil inside me!!

but as the cities are over crowded , we feel small cars are better. except in cities and busy road , its suv all the time

Cornering , hmm this is where low cost suv may fail , but try doing a not so sharp cornering @ 120kmph in a scorpio without abs. its a matter of judgment at the end of the drive

Last edited:
Here in Kerala an SUV (I'm not referring to the premium high end SUVs but the Indian ones) is good for people who can't afford to buy real estate.[lol]
And I too get them to go mad when they try to play dominatrix on the road with my puny hatch. Nothing better than a hatch to play games with SUVs on a twisty road. And by the way, most hatches have better resale value than most of the Indian SUVs and they dont fall apart after 5 years of use. And even an 800 can tackle most of the broken roads we have without much difficulty.

Aah good thread! A hatch can never provide the comfort of an SUV in long drives.

Agree with all your above points but once i start earning my garage will surely have an SUV too. Reasons are:

1.It can handle bad roads aplomb where you need not even slow down unlike hatches and sedans.

2.It can wade through even knee deep water without making any fuss.

3.Its more comfortable travelling in an SUV on long journeys.

4.An SUV is anyday more safer than a sedan or a hatch thanks to its sturdy build and high stance!

And regarding cornering , even our very own Safari and Scorpio can handle corners upto atleast 100kmph. But anyways SUV'S are not meant to perform ON road , their true potential can only be seen off road where a sedan or a hatch cant even last for 5 minutes!

Thread Starter #22
Guys, just need to confirm this-

Just because i started this thread, dont think i am against SUVs as such, i am an avid SUV lover!

Its more like need Vs greed and practicality Vs showoff.

I agree with most of the points put up by Raj. For example if I am the only one driving the car I can live with alto. I won't buy a SUV in this case. Though dhaya's 3rd and 4th points are valid given the situation is pro for SUV.

One of my friend bought Fortuner, trust me he does not even go for outings like I do every month. He has covered only 5k in 1.5 yrs. Most of the time travels alone and in city traffic. And yes he mentions, he has to live in a particular class( read ego as per me)

Last edited:
I agree with most of the points.

Well your saying all this according to Indian mentality right.
Up here its a different scenario

We have some off road SUV vehicles like Nissan Patrols , toyota landcruiser, Wrangler jeep etc etc . They are modified with bigger suspensions and tyres so they can do the job they are meant for.

They aren't as good as sedans when you talk about handling but they aren't meant for that actually .

In India one more thing ,

SUV's are considered as Taxis

Top Bottom