Dilemma In Choosing A Sedan

Thread Starter #1
I have been in the hunt for a sedan since the last 10 months can't really make up my mind... Im looking for a petrol variant since my monthly running hardly exceeds more than 250 km

Cars in my mind are the ANHC , Maruti Sx4 ,Fludic Verna . I have left out skoda rapid,vento and the fiat linea out of contention as after - sales service,cost of spares and resale is my top priority as I will be using the vehicle for 5+ years.Heard a lot of skoda a.s.s horror stories my dilemma would have been solved had the rapid would have come from some other maker.Its a great car otherwise

Here is my view of the cars I have shortlisted

ANHC: It has been the segment leader for quite a while. I haven't had a test drive but most say build quality is top notch inside out.Has a better engine,ride comfort and is more stable.On the downside it has a low GC so it tends to scrape its belly quite often Once the free services run out ..a standard service after a year costs a bomb in the range of (15-25k) even if there is no problem... and if a problem does exist..replacement parts are very expensive compared to its competitors. I am told the cost of a spark plug is three times the cost of a hyundai one. Even though the frequency of service is less compared to hyundai or maruti it does cost a lot to maintain a Honda.(Is it really true or its exaggerated? If one leaves the cost of maintenance aside,then the car is truly a winner.
Btw heavy discounts are being offered now as the facelifted anhc is on its way . it has only a few cosmetic chances rest is the same

Maruti SX4 : Wells its a maruti so there is piece of mind in terms of A.S.S and resale. It looks sporty ..but have to admit its showing its age in front of the next gen Verna. I found the build quality ok..cabin space is good ..rear space is manageable as I will have mostly 2 passengers on the rear seat .On the downside fuel efficiency is lowest in the segment, the high GC does help on rough roads but reversing in tight spots is a challenge. I was on the verge of booking this car but sales executive in Mumbai aren't keen on selling this car, they say since the strike and high demand for the diesel variant maruti is not rolling out the petrol variant since a long time. Waiting periiod is about 1-2 months that too dealers aren't sure if the car will arrive or not . I was being offered a 7-month old sx4 zxi car for 8.5L without any freebies. I declined I won't settle for anything older than too months . Gives me a feeling that production for sx4(p) may halt any moment its not selling as it used to and its dated interiors are no match for its competitors. Rumor has it a facelift is expected ..but nothing is confirmed.

Fluidic Verna :- This car is surely a stunner fell in love with it at first sight. But I must add even though this car is high tech inside out its build quality and material used especially the fit and finish of the plastic is not upto the mark especially when one is spending 9L for it. On the TD I found out the suspension is way too soft and didn't have the confidence to go beyond 80 ..steering control is very sensitive. Well all this is manageable but I have put the verna at the bottom of my list for now as I found the rear seats unbearable. Claustrophobia will surely kick in if one is made to sit fot more than a hour . Is there is a way to change the seats .its way too low hardly any thigh support.

Well this is my take on the above 3 .Sorry for writing such a long post. I am totally at my wits end..year end is approaching and there is a hike expected anytime soon next year.Yet to make a call

well my 2 cents, if you are in the market for a petrol sedan it has to be a honda!! If its petrol its honda thts my thumbrule really. With the low running you r looking for, i can close my eyes and suggest u a honda anyday.

I have a civic and i can tell u for sure it very low on maintainence and its one of the most reliable and trouble free cars i have owned. Yes with age and mileage some parts get worn out and while replacing tht u might feel the cost is too high cause honda still imports them from thailand/japan. but the last few years honda have really had all sorts of natural calamities to deal with and i am sure resolving this is first in their list of priorities. I still think ANHC has a higher level of localisation compared to a civic so this might not be as big a problem.

My take is as long as u replace the essential fluids/filter once a year the car is relatively trouble free. Offcourse someone owning a honda city might give u a more first hand view. also to admit i havent driven a verna yet. good luck with ur hunt..

Last edited:
Go for Honda City, they don't get any better than this.But I think if you want most fun to drive petrol sedan than LINEA- Tjet is the best option.As far as after sales service of fiat is concerned our fellow member raj_5004 is using his punto for almost an year, and he seems to be quite happy with fiat's ASS.Poor after sales of fiat actually is a fallacy that is propitiated by non fiat owners as Peter says-----Only people who have a problem with fiat are ones who have never owned them.Cheers and good luck on your buy.

THE X-OVER

ANHC:...standard service after a year costs a bomb in the range of (15-25k) even if there is no problem...
Not exactly. We have a 2007 Civic with 70k+ on odo. For regular service our bills never exceeded 7k (oil change, wheel alignment & balancing, radiator flush-not for every service, blahblahblah) I agree part replacement is costlier than Hyundai & Maruti, but again this is HONDA.

...my monthly running hardly exceeds more than 250 km
I will be using the vehicle for 5+ years...
Bit OT:
For this running do you really want to invest on a brand new depreciating asset? For less than the cost of brand new ANHC you can get a 2 year old Civic with less than 30k on odo which is a segment up and gives you much more comfort. Resale value of both the choices will be almost at par in 5 years.

Thread Starter #6
All ANHC models prior to the facelift sold out in mumbai..missed out on the huge discounts as the pricing was almost close to sx4 model.Now the V-MT facelift version is expected to sell at 9.8L + on road.whereas the sx4 zxi sells at 8.5L on road.

Hi real,
I think each of the cars you mentioned belong to same C class but characterstic of each car would be different. Have a look at the technical specification for all-

Fiesta 1.6SXi- Will suit you best if you love driving. Inside Space would be at pemium and exteriors does not have an oomph factor. The car will solve only one purpose, it will satisfy your driving needs. Fully loaded SXI with ABS, Airbags can cost you lesser than mentioned price if you can bargain.

Linea T-Jet- Will have all the good qualities of fiesta with additional power and addicting Torque. I bet it will make our lips go wide, everytime you drive it and Torque can push you back in the seat. Fastest in C class between 20-100. Also an ideal vehicle if you want to be chauffer driven. But don't expect TASS to do more than servicing. Niggles can be incurable at authorized pit stops.

Hyundai- Practical family sedan, good looks, best in class interiors. Good ride below 80Kmph, loaded with features, you can get an AT Verna at the offical price of T Jet plus.
Negatives- rear seats are low down and fluidic design compromises the visibility of the passsenger. Ingress is not that easy at the back and catastrophic features can make you wish for more airy cabin. High speed ability is compromised with soft suspension but brakes are excellent.

Honda- In addition to what you mentioned, it's still the fastest car between 0-100 Kmph. Mid range acceleration is not as great as high and low end but not bad either. Ride could be not as perfect on uneven roads, mainly due to low weight (1100 KG) and suspension. Handling is accurate and precise. Rear space is average with ok ride quality (Not as good as for the front passengers)

SX4- Its average on all fields except acceleration which is comparable to City upto a certain extent. Visibility is not too great from inside and rear hump is bad for 5th. Ordinary looks and average fit and finish make it a laggard even for Maruti. Ride quality is avarage to bumpy.

So decide, which of the above features are most wanted for you and decide accordingly.

Happy hunting.

Regards,
Maddy

Let me try to be very short and accurate:-
For ride,handling and body control with a sip of performance:Nothing beats a Linea T-Jet.
For an overall package which has performance,luxury,ride,handling,FE and fantastic A.S.S,NOTHING BEATS A CITY,JUST GO AND GET HER..
Rest all cars have many pros and cons so I am not mentioning them.

Top Bottom