Difference Between BS-3 and BS-4 Models

Thread Starter #1
What is the difference between BS3 and BS4 engine ?

What is advantage of BS4 over BS3 ?

BS3 costs low - so can a person should go for BS3 model even though a BS4 model is available? Eg : Like Scorpio

Re: Difference between BS3 and BS4 models

What i understand is that before April 2010, the engine of cars were according to the BS-III norms, but after that all the new cars manufactured are as per BS-IV norms which is stricter engine emission norms . These norms make the engine give good mileage with little carbon fumes and are silent too, so the new engine is more eco friendly than the older ones. And i guess every city has different norms requirement when you buy a new car.

Re: Difference between BS3 and BS4 models

BS3 is compulsory for all india, while BS4 is compulsory for all metro cities.

there are some emission difference between both. and i think some changes in catalyic converter (IMO)

there is no need to spend more money if you are not from mumbai / delhi / channai / Kolkata (not sure)

Re: Difference Between BS3 and BS4 Models

my dad got excellent discounts on Xylo for BS3. but he still opted for BS4.

i have no clue actually why my dad opted for BS4. i havent asked him. was too excited to see the car itself. haha also he also heard that BS4 gives more FE. that could be a reason.

BS4 gives more FE. that could be a reason.
thats not true,
both engines gives same FE.

yes, BS4 is cleaner on emission point of view, now when you have got BS4 , so just make proud around your circle that you are more active on Global warming [evil]

yes actually i do that. haha all my relatives were proud that it was step in saving the world. hahahaa

Thanks for the intrest.

No, not to save some cash, but to save myself from continous eyewash by pollution norms authority of India,]details in next

Bs3 varient is cheaper by Rs 33,000 than Bs4 varient by default, as per tata price list irrespective of version, varient, model, segment, manufacturing date.

Reason for price difference is that Rs 33 k is the cost of catalytic converter located in the exaust systems of bs4 cars , elaborated in upcoming the post.
Dilemma-

Bs3 Vs BS4 battle fought on google umpired by me-

Following facts were found
# bs3 = euro3 , bs4 = euro4
# bs4 means a ' catalytic converter' is a mandatory adition to the exhaust system .

It is located little away from engine beneath the front seat.
It can be removed easily by thieves , same car can run without catalytic converter
but suffers from incresed noise and powerloss unless ECM is retuned by an expert, however, it is illegal to do so, both the theft and the car use. Cops are often (read always)unable to detect both the things, unless you report to them.

# catalytic converters are costly (Rs 33 k to Rs 60 k , in this segment of car) because it contains precious metals like platinum & gold (~ gold prices trend in last 2 years) hence prone for theft.

Gold and platinum accelerate the process of splitting the toxic gas in to relatively harmless gas .

Bs4 norms are compulsory in 13 or 16 large cities of India only for the purpose of RTO
Registration, Bs3 registration is allowed in the rest of India.However Bs3 & bs4 cars can run anywhere in India.

# bs4 cars require special bs4 compliant Bs4 diesel( containing low sulfer i.e.50ppm) , while Bs3 cars can run on high sulfer (500 ppm) containing bs3 complaint or bs4 complaint diesel.

# bs4 complaint diesel is made available in those 16 cities only . Rest of India receives Bs3 diesel only. [frustration]

# reasons for not making Bs4 pollution norms mandatory all over India is that govt. feels that increase in the cost of vehicles will slowdown the auto industry.

# using bs3 diesel in bs4 diesel car can damage the precious metals of catalytic converter , but to a lesser extent, at the cost of owner.

# It is neither covered under insurance nor under warranty IMO.
The decision taken to purchase BS3 car instead of BS4 car was based on above mentioned findings of research done by me.
I saved myself from 'living in BS4 paradise'.

One more thing, Catalytic converter can go kaput,(repair is difficult) owner will have to pay the cost

Last edited:

I feel sad when we look for small discounts , try our level best to get pity freebies such as mudflaps, mats from the dealer at the time of new car purchase. And we stay away from a lot cheaper BS3 models on the pretext of BS4 being a new technology.
Still vehicles such as TATA SAFARI, SUMO GOLD, GRANDE, Bolero, scorpio , verito are still available in BS3 models .
If someone has a address outside the 16 BS4 cities one can directly avail the BS3 models.and associated cost benefits.
BS3,Safari DICOR 2.2 Lx , PUNE ,OTR cost Rs 9 Lakhs only with equal harm or benefit to the environment in INDIA.

Above mentioned qoutes are dragged on this thread from my TATA manza owner ship thread .
I will try to explain points written by me one by on(BS3 vs BS4 norms )here,

# Bs3 = euro 3
Indian authorities have purposely named it as BS3 for following reasons.
For a car to be labeled as EURO 3 comlaint ,
its exaust system needs to be tested at near or subzero temperature as they do it in Europe. But in India they do it at 28° c.and get away with it.It hampers the sensitivity of the test.They name it as BS3 , just save their (Indian authorities) skin , in case of international legal battle .

Also these tests are to be carried out ideally @120 kmph with 100 kg load inside the car in a laboratory,but in India , they do it @90 kmph without any load inside[frustration] Tell me, is it possible to run such a tested and certified car without any load inside it on road.

Is it not funny to know that hyundais, honda a , chevy and many others were selling their cars as Euro 3 comlaint cars in India?

To be continued...

Above mentioned qoutes are dragged on this thread from my TATA manza owner ship thread .
I will try to explain points written by me one by on(BS3 vs BS4 norms )here,

Also these tests are to be carried out ideally @120 kmph with 100 kg load inside the car in a laboratory,but in India , they do it @90 kmph without any load inside[frustration] Tell me, is it possible to run such a tested and certified car without any load inside it on

To be continued...
Later on, for BS3 norms , the authorities started testing the cars with 150 kg load inside.(reason given was ' It is to adjust with road condition s in India).

The MNC s who were selling cars as EURO 3 complaint, were they getting the cars tested in Europe at subzero temperature and then selling them with or without BS3 tests in India?

# now what's the BS4and EURO 4
It is the addition of a 'catalytic converter' in the exaust system.
Catalytic converter is a ceramic block which is contain microducts lined by expensive and precious metals such as platinum through which toxic gases and particles pass.

The most important toxic particle in case of diesel is ' sulfer' . This sulfer gets attached with platinum, a catalytic reaction takes place under very 'high temperature' and sulfer is converted in less toxic substance.
Similarly for petrol , but the toxic particles are different.

High temperature is important prerequisite for the catalytic reaction to occur. So the catalytic converter is fitted in the exaust pipe .

It is nessesary to use BS4 comlaint diesel so as to get proper and optimum performance from the catalytic converter.

Bs4 comlaint diesel means in which sulfer content is less than 50 ppm.

What happens if BS3 complaint diesel (sulfer content more than 50 ppm)is used in a Bs4 car?
Answer is that the extra sulfer gets deposited in the microducts of precious metal leading to clogging .This leads to irreparable damage to catalytic converter which requires early replacement of catalytic converter.(obviously car manufacture r and insurance company will not take responsibility of damage occured due to use of wrong fuel.)

In India, BS4 complaint fuel is available only at fuel stations in 13 major cities where these BS4 norms are compulsory. Remaining India has BS3 comlaint fuel.
It is better for a BS4 car owner to fillup the tank in his own city before long trip .
On highways, if he has to refill, he will get only BS3 comlaint fuel (high sulfer).

What is the benefit of high sulfer for Bs3 cars?
The answer is that sulfer works as a lubricant in side the engine. So it is better for BS3 car owner to fillup outside the limits of those BS4 complaint cities.

For Euro 4 comlaint catalytic converter metal used mainly is platinum. But in BS4 catalytic converter they have replaced some amount of platinum with gold,(gold is cheaper than platinum) so as to reduce the cost to avoid slowdown in India n auto industry.

There are few concerns raised world wide about EURO 4 norms,

As the catalytic converter needs very high temperature to give optimum performance, is it useful for short trips (1 to 4km)?

The answer given is it starts working within a minute or so in case of platinum rich converter.
In case of the BS4 cars, some quantity of platinum is replaced withgold , but the gold is poor catalytic converter as compared to pure platinum. So clarification is required on the performance of BS4 catalytic converters AFA short trips are concerned.

Other concern raised about EURO 4 norm is the possibility of reduction in power/performance of the car due to back pressure exerted by the catalytic converter as compared to EURO3 cars which is devoid of catalytic converter.

The answer is there is negligible or nil power loss. In India it remains to be seen in case of BS4 cars using mixture of BS4 and Bs3 fuel, with a gold substituted cayalytic converter.

One can definitely say that practically there is a certain difference in BS4 and EURO 4 norms even though it is claimed that they are equal.

In India , BS4 norms (only for new vehicles and fuel, not for old vehicles) are compulsory in 13 major cities from All Fools Day of 2010.

Last edited:

Above I have mentioned difference between EURO 4 and Bs4 from car owners point of view.
There are few difference s between Euro 4 and bs4 norms from environment s point of view which are well documented .

1) As per Euro 4 norms it is compulsory to print and display the 'fuel economy' and ' Co2 emission levels' of the car on the car by the manufacture r. As per BS4 norms it is not compulsory.

Is it not funny to see EURO 4 labeled cars plying on Indian roads without displaying the ' fuel economy and Co2 emission level' label on it.

2) As per Euro 4 norms it is compulsory to ' do annual checkup' (not puc) by govt. authorities. As per BS4 norms 'personal vehicles' are left out from such annual check up.
This check up is of utmost importance to know a car registered with RTO as BS4 car is fitted with ' a catalytic converter' and its proper functioning.Still few car manufacture rs and dealers keeps on claiming that there Cars are Euro 4 cars instead of BS4 cars. If we question them , they escape saying that EURO 4= Bs4.

Now the point is that a BS4 car is fitted with catalytic converter by the manufacturer and is checked by RTO(ideally) at the time of registration. Then why this annual checkup by govt. again.?

The answer is that PUC is carried out by PVT.agencies on which govt. should have control.
The catalytic converter can be stolen, its replacement can be bypassed by a car owner after it is stolen.

Top Bottom