Diesel Hatchback Dilemma: Chevrolet Beat vs Ford Figo

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys
We are planning to buy a diesel hatch to replace our Maruti 800(which has already completed 14 years) with a budget of approximately 5.5Lakhs. Our requirements are as follows:

(a)Monthly Running of about 1500km.
(b)Decent comfort. We already have a Manza so the bar here is quite high.
(c)Good handling.
(d)Decent A.S.S
(e)Good fuel Economy.

We have shortlisted following cars: Chevy Beat LT and Ford Figo Exi.

I was also thinking about going in for Suzuki Ritz LDi. But it feels shallow in features when compared to the above 2 cars.
But still the temptation of owning a Maruti is there. So need your suggestions here.

We have ignored Vista because we already have a Vista with a boot. AFAIK i20 and Polo are over our budget, so have left them.

Need your suggestions here...[:)]

Re: Diesel Hatchback Dilemma

If you are comparing Chevy Beat LT and Ford Figo Exi then my vote will go for Ford figo, no second thought about that as it is much better car than that.

Hi guys
(a)Monthly Running of about 1500km.
(b)Decent comfort. We already have a Manza so the bar here is quite high.
(c)Good handling.
(d)Decent A.S.S
(e)Good fuel Economy.

Need your suggestions here...[:)]
Hi
Comfort- Figo, as its bigger comparitively
Handling- Again figo
ASS- more or less same for both, but chevy 3yrs would be free i suppose
FE- Beat is the leader here

Cheers
Jazzy

350Z

Core Team

You can judge this better by pinpointing on your exact requirements. Chevrolet Beat is overall more superior in terms of features, fuel efficiency, interior quality etc., but it may slightly disappoint when it comes to space and power if compared with Figo. I would suggest Beat if most of the running is with in cities with not more than maximum four people on board. It also certainly makes for a sensible upgrade from a compact car like Maruti 800.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I have heard lot of woes from owners of ford figo and next to nil for chevy beat. I think beat is much reliable and better package against figo.

Thread Starter #8
I would pick the Chevy Beat as it looks better. But I do feel that Figo is a better driver's car.
If you are comparing Chevy Beat LT and Ford Figo Exi then my vote will go for Ford figo, no second thought about that as it is much better car than that.
Hi
Comfort- Figo, as its bigger comparitively
Handling- Again figo
ASS- more or less same for both, but chevy 3yrs would be free i suppose
FE- Beat is the leader here

Cheers
Jazzy
Sorry guys for the late response. I took the test drive of Beat couple of months ago and I felt that it was a bit cramped in the front, moreover the reponse from myfamily seating in the rear seats was anything but encouraging as they felt that it was a bench(the rear seat). Moreover it seems like Beat is underpowered a bit and in city driving, Figo is having a better drivability.
But again there is a substantial price difference between the 2 as well, I am being offered Beat LT at about 5.6L which is having all the gizmos compared to Figo Exi at 5.8L(not as rich in equipment).
Have multiple Test Drives lined up this weekend of Beat/Figo & Ritz.

You can judge this better by pinpointing on your exact requirements. Chevrolet Beat is overall more superior in terms of features, fuel efficiency, interior quality etc., but it may slightly disappoint when it comes to space and power if compared with Figo. I would suggest Beat if most of the running is with in cities with not more than maximum four people on board. It also certainly makes for a sensible upgrade from a compact car like Maruti 800.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The problem with Beat is I believe it will be cramped for me(6 ft). Although most of the times I will be the only one using this vehicle. Let's see after the test drive.

I have heard lot of woes from owners of ford figo and next to nil for chevy beat. I think beat is much reliable and better package against figo.
This is the point which is bothering me, I have also heard the same. Niggles was also one of the reason I didn't consider Vista, although it offers fantastic value for money and lots of features. TATA has improved a lot and we are not facing any problems with our Manza except for one or two, but still the confidence is not there.
Because what we want here is a car which doesn't like to visit service station except for routine check-ups. If I go for Ford which also likes visiting service stations and considering the lesser number of service stations as well, I would be better off buying a Vista.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...est-budget-diesel-hatch-maximum-features.html

Figo is better drivers car
Feature and looks wise Beat is good.

For ass and resale both are almost same.
Thanks for the link Surfer.

Now here is the tricky part, I was also thinking of going on for Ritz LDi and putting up Power Windows as MGA. BareBone Ritz is almost at par on price with Ford Figo Exi but with it comes the much famed Maruti A.S.S. Still the dilemma is there.
I hope it will clear a bit after the test drives.

My uncle owns few cars ,figo is one among, he is so irritated with the car,since it is giving niggles quite often,it must be 1 yr old car, within few weeks of ownership,it had gearoil leak,then it was mudflaps getting broken ,today when I saw him,he said the car is with dealer(Kairali ford,kottyam) ,which is under repaired since the last 2 days,for a faulty evaparator of AC, which the company took 2 months to get the spare!!!shocking news is that,the service person tried consoling him,saying there are few more vehicles waithing with same problem!!!!He is planning to sell off the vehicle at the earliest...I asked him to contact company directly,for which he said his friend who tried the same ( who is also a figo owner) treid the same with no results......I will say dont be cheated by the looks, go for beat..I had a spark 3 years back,and I think service of chevrolet is better( if you send them mail, they DO RESPOND-- personal experiance)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Hi guys, we finally bought a Ford Figo Zxi(Silver) and it was delivered yesterday. Thanks for the replies. [:)]

350Z

Core Team
That was quick. Congrats and looking forward to a review. From which dealership, by the way?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congrats buddy. You wont regret buying the Figo, it is one great drivers car which inherits the genes of Fiesta when it comes to handling.

Top Bottom