Diesel Compact SUV: Tata Nexon or Mahindra XUV300?

Thread Starter #1
Hey TAIgers,

I am in the market for a new diesel CSUV. My running will be a mix of city and highway rides (I tend to tour a lot, including a lot of mountain driving). My needs are good power (and torque), good driving dynamics and ride quality, and cruise control (must). As I will be doing long distances, safety is also of prime concern.

I have disregarded the Venue (hate the looks), Brezza (no to MSIL and petrol engine), Sonet (untested and safety not validated) and Ecosport (too long in the tooth). I have not even considered the Kiger, Magnite and WRV. Thus my choices have narrowed down to the Tata Nexon and the Mahindra XUV 3OO. The following are my observations (Nexon XZ+(S) and XUV 3OO W8):

Nexon
+ Good ride quality
+ Amazing audio system
+ Responsive engine
+ Interior Space
+ 5 star safety
+ Sufficient Boot Space
- Somewhat vocal engine
- Digital Instrument Cluster
- Not the best driving position for me (5' 10")
- Crammed footwell
- Subpar fit and finish and interior quality

XUV 3OO
+ Rocket of an Engine (best in class without a doubt)
+ Super spacious rear bench
+ 5 star safety
+ Decent fit and finish
- Boot space less than small hatches
- Audio system cant hold a candle to the Nexon
- Tall gear lever (unergonomic)
- Ride quality not as good as Nexon

Now the XUV's boot space is acting like a deal breaker here. It will not be sufficient for road trips for 4 persons ever. The Nexon on the other hand, looks like a more rounded package.

Love to have your expert opinion on this.

Last edited:
Both are great cars and very difficult to choose between the either of two. XUV300 as you mentioned has a great engine where as Nexon is well rounded package. Price wise i feel XUV would be bit on the higher side. However, these days Nexon is having high waiting period. So probably, Waiting period between the two might be one of the important factors.
In this case, you have an option to choose what your heart desires. Mind will comply with it. You can go wrong with either of the two cars.

You have shortlisted the best cars possible looking at your requirements.
XUV300: Features, Safety, Driving pleasure, will always put a smile on flooring it. But the smaller boot will pinch on family long trips or carrying extra luggage.
Nexon: 2020 Nexon has got almost everything going for it, looks great, Safety, Good engine et.al
Has to be NEXON

Thread Starter #4
Both are great cars and very difficult to choose between the either of two. XUV300 as you mentioned has a great engine where as Nexon is well rounded package. Price wise i feel XUV would be bit on the higher side. However, these days Nexon is having high waiting period. So probably, Waiting period between the two might be one of the important factors.
In this case, you have an option to choose what your heart desires. Mind will comply with it. You can go wrong with either of the two cars.
Thanks. I dont see much of a price difference between these two, tbh. I have been informed that the Nexon will be delivered within 6 weeks max, in fact the Mahindra guys are asking for a longer wait.

You have shortlisted the best cars possible looking at your requirements.
XUV300: Features, Safety, Driving pleasure, will always put a smile on flooring it. But the smaller boot will pinch on family long trips or carrying extra luggage.
Nexon: 2020 Nexon has got almost everything going for it, looks great, Safety, Good engine et.al
Has to be NEXON
Agree, the Nexon is the more rounded package and the boot of the XUV is turning out to be a deal breaker. However, the seduction of 300nm and those 17inch alloys are very hard to resist. That said, it will probably be the Nexon for me.

Nexon it is, do not ignore the boot.
Your enthusiast mind may get pleased on the long drive with XUV engine, but the 'special one' always needs her bit of luggage on the trips :)

Top Bottom