Diary of My Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe 1994

Thread Starter #1
4th June 2011

After having driven my Barina for a few months, I decided to upgrade to a car with a bit more go! We decided on buying a new run-around. Something that is small, fuel efficient, automatic transmission and somewhat safe.

Went through numerous ads on Carsales/Gumtree/Ebay and shortlisted a few of them. At this point we were looking at corollas, lancers', mirages', 323s' and the likes... I found this lancer coupe with some rego and a few minor problems. I convinced my father to go have a look at it, on the 4th of June 2011 me, my brother and my dad set out to have a look at a few cars. 5 out of the 6 cars we shortlisted were deceiving compared to the advert, and the owners weren't even willing to negotiate the high price that they were asking.

The last of the short list was this purdy white Lancer coupe that I convinced my dad to have a look at. Took a small drive around the block, drove alright seeing its a 1.6L. But I have to admit, after getting used to driving a 2.0 Turbo, the 1.6 N/A felt pretty gutless. Nonetheless, it was clean bar a few scratches and some rips in the interior. Popped the bonnet to inspect the engine bay, it was missing the support to hold it in place. Pulled the dipstick out to find the oil in its worst possible condition. I asked the owner about it and he admitted to it not being serviced for the past 10000kms.

I was happy so was dad, we negotiated a little and agreed on a price. I laid a deposit and told him we'll come back tomorrow with the full payment. Here are some pics off carsales.

upload5.jpg

upload4.jpg

Upload-1.jpg

upload7.jpg

upload6.jpg

upload8.jpg

upload2.jpg

upload3.jpg

upload1.jpg

Tomorrow, the 5th of June. We'll head out to make full payment and collect the car. I'll post some proper pictures then :)

TL;DR People: This thread isn't for you if you don't want to read much. I will try and make this thread as exciting as possible with pictures and stuff.

TAI: I've owned this car for over a month now and have accumulated a lot of pictures. I don't want to over load the first page with a lot of pictures, so I'll wait until each page and post more updates.

I hope you've enjoyed it [:)]

Last edited:
Re: Diary of my Lancer Coupe 1994

Congratulations on the purchase Manyu , the car looks to be in a fairly good condition in the above pictures.

Cpngrats bro! The car looks good , inside and outside. We would like to see more about the performance of the car. Like acceleration figures and top speed.

Jeno

350Z

Core Team
Nice review and congratulations. Your car seems to be in a good shape and the interiors are OK too. How much you grabbed it for and what numbers does the odometer currently reads? It was sad reading in your introduction that you have recently banged it. Hope the car is back to the normal condition.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Excellent writeup. I am impressed with the exteriors considering the fact the age of your car. The interiors too are neat and well maintained.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks lads. Ill update this thread as soon as my internet is back up. I cant be bothered doing that from my phone.

cheers

Thread Starter #9
Congratulations on the purchase Manyu , the car looks to be in a fairly good condition in the above pictures.
Yeah man, it is in a fairly decent condition.
Cpngrats bro! The car looks good , inside and outside. We would like to see more about the performance of the car. Like acceleration figures and top speed.

Jeno
Im not too worried about performance mate, its useless up here anyway. i mean, we are limited to a top speed of 110Kmph all through our state :L
Nice review and congratulations. Your car seems to be in a good shape and the interiors are OK too. How much you grabbed it for and what numbers does the odometer currently reads? It was sad reading in your introduction that you have recently banged it. Hope the car is back to the normal condition.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I bought it for $1400 AUD and it has close to 200,00 on the clock. Its pretty low over here considering most car do over 400,000 :L
Excellent writeup. I am impressed with the exteriors considering the fact the age of your car. The interiors too are neat and well maintained.
Yeah, man. Its a good car for what it is.
wow dude congrats!! post more info and pics soon!! are you gonna modfy?
Will do man. But no, I won't be modifiying this as this isn't what Im looking for in a car. If I put my photography gear in it, I won't be able to have any passengers. So yeah, something big :)
Hi, very cool car. congrats!
Cheers.

Thread Starter #10
5th June 2011 - The pick-up + mini photoshoot.

When putting a deposit down on the car yesterday, we agreed to comeback at 8AM tomorrow to pick it up. Woke up fairly early and jumped into the warmth of the Skoda's heated seats. A second later the owner rings to tell me that he had to go out and asked if we could drop by at 3PM, if not tomorrow. I instantly agreed to 3Pm. Went back home and started luring the interwebz about the car, signed up to mlga.com (mirage-lancer group) and browsed numerous other lancer related forums. I started to day dream about modding it the DIY way...

And then it was 2:15PM, again got behind the wheel of the Skoda with dad snoring in the passenger seat. At around 3:05PM, I was looking at it again, soon to be ours. Made the remaining payment and exchanged details. I took the lancer and handed the Skoda's keys to Dad. The 48 Km drive back home was rather exciting, started exploring every bit of the interior out of boredom on the freeway. Witihin no time at all, I was back home. Took a quick bite of whatever I found at home and headed out with my camera for a tiny spirited drive around the local driving road.

I stopped by the usual Olympic park area for a quick shoot to make you all happy. Enough talk now, pics...

View attachment 22606

View attachment 22607

Lancer2.jpg

View attachment 22608

EDIT: Can any mod direct me to attaching pictures so that it will show as a picture and not as a link. It tells me that I've already uploaded it on my intro thread.

Thread Starter #11
8th June 2011 - The crash.

After two days of owning the car and giving it a small service, It was time for it to be shown around. Being a Wednesday (sport) which means we get to leave early, what better day? I thought. It wasn't a good day at all. Around 12:20 PM on Wednesday, I had my first crash in the Lancer. I will not take the complete blame, nor will I put the blame on others. I was driving down the road under the limit but without paying enough attention. A round about appeared and the car in front braked hard, I noticed it as it was happening and I slammed the brakes. I was expecting the non-existent ABS to kick in till the last minute. That is how dependent I am on driving aids. I don't even know how to pump the brakes.

From ~45kmph, I was able to slow down to ~15kmph before I had no other choice but to hit the car in front. The brakes locked up as soon as I hit the pedal and screeched till I came to a halt. BAM. Even though it wasn't much of an impact, I made sure everyone in my car was alright and quickly got out and spoke to the owner of the car in front. I agreed to pay for all of his damages, and asked him to follow me to get a quick quote form a place I know from work. We got there and surprisingly it was relatively cheap to fix his car. I only managed to push his bumper and a bit of his body into his boot. It wasn't bad at all on his car. I made sure everything was alright on his car and he drove away a happy man.

But now, I was left with mine. I didn't even bother looking at my car until the other guy left. From what I saw, it was pretty bad. Front drivers side head light pushed in (not broken) the headlight protector took the hit. Paint chipping from all over the bumper, the bonnet was obviously crumpled. I made sure the headlights still worked, surprisingly they still did. I popped open the bonnet to see what I had done. My Jaw dropped, considering the speed at which I hit him, I thought it would only be exterior, but I was wrong. I managed to twist/bend the radiator support. I left the car worrying about it.

After a day, I realised I was being too hard on myself after dad asked me to speak properly. I went back to the car and drove it just to see if its still alright after the accident. It drove just like before, not a single thing has changed mechanically.

Pictures of the wounded warrior. It will return...

Attachments

It happens dude, and good if the headlight assembly is not broken . So going to tinker and repaint the bumper?? And are u going to fix the slightly damaged bonnet?? Hope the costs are as low as possible. Keep us updated.

Jeno [cheers]

Thread Starter #13
It happens dude, and good if the headlight assembly is not broken . So going to tinker and repaint the bumper?? And are u going to fix the slightly damaged bonnet?? Hope the costs are as low as possible. Keep us updated.

Jeno [cheers]
I probably will fix up the bumper, but not anytime soon. I have exams coming up and its not really the best thing to do now.

I'll post another update shortly.

Thread Starter #14
15th June 2011 – The love refresh

A week after the crash, I gathered enough courage to hit up the roads again in this purdy little car of ours. A spirited drive around the local driving road and some fun in an empty parking lot ;)
The car has had the injector rail replaced, and new spark plugs put in. It feels a lot more smoother than before, its amazing the difference it makes to your car with just basic maintenance. No more blabber, couple pics.

18th June 2011 - The first wash

No real story to type up now as everything went according to plan. Except for I wanted to do it at night...

Last edited:
You are a true petrol head, u admire the beauty of your car, even when it has some injuries, like i used to do with my wagonR :-) Everyone loves their car, no matter how it looks actually

Jeno

Top Bottom