Design Pain Points in Modern Tata Cars

Thread Starter #1
Well, I've seen design issues in other brands too but too much similarity in Tata. I will buy a new car when my Tiago completes 10yrs (probably 4m+) as my Tiago has no issues but due to poor design choice of Tata looks like I would drop them if they are hell bound on my below observations. Also I feel biggest sales loss to Tata comes due to poor design choices like these:

- Round & Sloping roof even on SUVs! (After watching his many interviews I felt Pratap Bose had a disease called Couperia in which he wanted to design everything Coupe style even if its an entry level car or suv [lol])

- Worst Ingress Egress compared to any brand. Problem is car floor kept too high, window sill very low to make sure if you're not careful your head will bang. Add to it a roof desperate to reach tail lights. Never buy Tata car for Elders/Tall people.

- Tiny and super slanting rear glass. Looks like forced upon. I don't like so much slanting glass.

- Poor headroom compared to any competition in any segment I bet. Tata makes cars only for short people.

- Front Windshield has to start too late making sure you're blinded by oncoming sun. No blue tint like M&M. Tata/Pratap bose should take couple of classes from Brezza/xuv300 designers.

- Aggressively rising window lines, too low at front making front passengers uncomfortable, too high at the end making it catastrophic.

- Ground clearance unreasonably high to make CG too high eg in Nexon, feels overkill.

- Wheelbase lesser than competition fine. But why make rear seat angle straight to count bigger bootspace number. Coupled with too much inclined glass makes above parcel area very less usable in few cases.

One bad choice for Brezza:

Its paying tax for big vehicle but why didn't they increase length atleast 100mm, would be a differentiator & new segment creator (4.05-4.2m). New brezza is fine, liked its boxy style but disliked rear seat space and price asked for the space offered.

Last edited:
Infact i disagree. The bose era designs are one of the main pillars on which the sales have sky rocketed apart from the fact that the new petrol engines and ride and handling is good.
Look at the Altroz, such a timeless design, look at the way they have designed those foglamps of Altroz, so organic. The punch too, getting SUV like proportions right in a small footprint, those beautiful tail lights and good interior. The sales too speak for themselves. Now how much of these designs are influenced by Bose, I dont know. But he was the design boss. So ultimately it has to pass his signature.
Now looking at the direction Martin Uhlarik is taking, he seems to move away from the pattern established by Bose, he seems to like traingles and flat lines and what is is this obsession with led light bars across the breadth of the vehicle.
Frankly speaking the new Sierra looks like a cross between the defender, kia carens and skoda yeti. What is this new fad of faceless cars.
Where is the inspiration from the sierra, the one designed by Bose had a inspiration from the old Sierra.
I am not impressed by the Avinya as well. I believe these designs are more form over function. For example the flat bonnet of the new faceless Sierra allows better access to the engine bay unlike the curvy swoopy designs of Bose.
Request Uhlarik to get some face for the new Sierra and his future designs.

I am not impressed by the Avinya as well. I believe these designs are more form over function. For example the flat bonnet of the new faceless Sierra allows better access to the engine bay unlike the curvy swoopy designs of Bose.
Sorry I meant to say function over form!

Hope Mr. Martin goes for a course correction sooner than later. The Curvv ice version looks quite good. But then even in that car, one needs to see how much of the design was frozen already during Bose period.
Its not like Martin has joined new to the company, he has been working with TATA MOTORS design for quite a few years. So I can't understand this need to pull away from the current design direction which is so successful in terms of sales. There is lot at stake here.

Top Bottom