Delhi - Amritsar - Delhi Route

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I have planned a road trip from Delhi to Amritsar over the next couple of weeks. If anyone of you have travelled on NH 1 , can you please suggest how the road is to Amritsar.

I had gone to Jallandhar last year in April and i know that the roads had started to worsten due to construction.

Guys can you please share how are the roads as of now and if they are improving soon , I may postpone my trip to Amritsar.

Thanks Guys

Regards

Was planning for this road trip in Jan'2012 but postponed it due to some personal reason will undertake this in coming weeks.

I hope this will help you.

Route for trip:

1) For Delhi-Amritsar-Delhi (469KM and 8.24Hrs):

Delhi-Sonepat-Panipat-Karnal-Ambala-Ludhiana-Jalandhar-Amritsar

2) For Amritsar-Wagah Border-Amritsar (29KM and 37Min):

Amritsar-Azadnagar-Kathania Colony-Rangarh-Wagah Border

Places to see in Amritsar:

1) Golden Temple-Harmandir Sahib
2) Jallian Wala Bagh
3) Ram Tirath-Luv Kush birth place
4) Wagah
5) Atari Junction Rly. Station

Famous food joints in Amritsar:

1) Kanha sweets - Cholle bhature.
Location - Lawrence Road

2) Bansal sweets - Sweet dish (especially Pinni).

3) Bheera chicken - Non-veg tandoori dishes.
Location - Majitha Road

4) Crystal restaurent - Very famous restaurent
Location - Queens Road

5) Kanahiya Sweets - Cholle bhature
Location - Phullan wala chowk

6) Khulche cholle Dhaba - Khulce (Naan) cholle
Location - Maqbool Road

7) Pal dhabha - Keema Naan
Location - Near Durgiyana Mandir

8 ) Parkash Meat - Mutton curry
Location - Near Golden temple

9) Makhan Dhaba - Amritsari fish
Location - Lawrence road

10) Surjeet's - Tandoori chicken

11) Brijwasi chat - Chaat
Location - Cooper Road

12) Bhravan da dhaba

13) LASSI at Hall Bazaar, Lassi wala chownk, Opposite Regent cinema.

14) Jalebi at Gurdass Ram Jalebi wale
Location - Ahluwali Katra very close to the main gate of Golden Temple.

Hotels in Amritsar:

Rooms are available in 40 hotels across Amritsar after Holi weekend (rooms with parking facility), between room tariffs 777 to 3026, checked MMT online portal .

I suggest you hotel Sapphire located near Golden Temple has view of Golden Temple from hotel rooms, reasonable priced with small parking.

Itinerary:

Day-1: Start from Delhi at 5:00AM to take benefit of early morning low traffic, we can take first break at Murthal, second break at Jalandhar Haveli after 6-7 hours, else can take first break at Karnal Haveli and second in Amritsar.

You can reach Amritsar between 2-3PM. Check in Hotel take rest and can go to temple for evening darshan else roam around local market to complete the shopping part have dinner at any famous joint or in otel itself.

Day-2: Morning temple darshan if not done in evening else roam around in market and complete the part, after dinner can head towards Wagah border

Day-3: Local site seeing for half day and take rest.

Day-4: Early check out to leave for Delhi.

Alternate route

Delhi-Ambala-Shambhu toll-Banur-Kharar-Ropar-Phagwara-Jalandhar-Amritsar.

Road is fine,apart from 15 odd kms around ropar-and expect tolls after every 40Kms

Thread Starter #3
This is a great detailed review . thanks a lot . do let me know how the roads are specialyy from ambala to amritsar .

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great detailed review . thanks a lot . do let me know how the roads are specialyy from ambala to amritsar .

Regards
Just inquired about the road condition from my friend located in Ambala, from Ambala to Amritsar lots of flyover construction work is going on which leads to few diversions but they will not take your much of time. You can easily complete Delhi-Amritsar in 8-9 hrs considering the current road and traffic condition remember to start early.

I have been to Malerkotla(a place between Ludhiana and Patiala) and Ludhiana just 2 days back.
As usual,the NH1 is in fantastic condition,but as told by Tough guy,take care of road construction work.I did my journey at midnight and early morning so can't tell exactly but there are some 3-4 places only where you need to touch the brake pedal.But yes,the construction sites are very much prone to traffic jams especially in the day time.

About drive to Amritsar,I'd say start early morning and it will take maximum 7 hours for you to reach there.And in case you drive sedately(no 100+ speeds)then Tough guy is absolutely correct.
Rest after reading the above review,I am out of words because I really don't know this much about Amritsar.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys !!!!!!! this is fantastic support from you guys !!!! I am planning the trip in April first week !!! will keep this in mind !!!!

Appreciate your support !!!!!

Thanks a lot guys !!!!!!! this is fantastic support from you guys !!!! I am planning the trip in April first week !!! will keep this in mind !!!!

Appreciate your support !!!!!
You are most welcome, there is a strong possibility that i might undertake the above said road trip in this month itself may be in last week will post live update on this thread if everything goes as per the plan.

Thread Starter #8
hi tough guy ,

Thanks ! and happy journey in case you take that journey somtime soon . awaiting your update on it as well !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #9
Route Query Delhi - Amritsar

Hi All,

I am planning a trip from Delhi - Jallandhar - Chintapurni - Jallandhar - Amritsar - Delhi

Please provide some vital updates about the road conditions and the tolls, I have to cross on my way to the above mentioned places.

Your support is appreciated.

Regards

Top Bottom