Decision Woes: Stuck in a Moment (Used Ford Fiesta 1.6S + New Maruti A-Star AT)

Thread Starter #1
And I can't get out of it. " ..... U2

That's right. Famous words from the U2 song which perfectly applies to my situation right now.

I've been a happy camper with a Wagon-R LXi (2004) for all these years . Sometime earlier this year, the time had come for an upgrade. It was a mix - taking both the car and the personal needs into account. My apologies if this post is a little long-winded, please grab some popcorn! Here are some essential details first:

1. Location: Bangalore
2. Budget : 8.5 lakh (total value)
3. Fuel type: Petrol (monthly running : 600km average)
4. Priorities: Fun to drive, Safety, Comfort, Low maintenance, luggage space. In that order.
5. Seating capacity : 2-3 most of the time.
6. Purpose : regular city use, outstation trips once a month or so.
7. Segment : sedan
8. Main requirement: A fun-to-drive trailblazer on the highways, and easy-to-maintain , convenient car for the family in the city!

History:
I decided on an upgrade/new purchase a few months ago. After reading about and test driving numerous vehicles (and still doing so) , simply because I was not sure what I wanted, till now. The heart always says get the car YOU WANT TO drive. The head says , " Get THE CAR that CAN DRIVE you and family around". It's always a tough one to solve!

And then I thought, why not try to appease the heart AND the head?

Option 1 : GO ALL NEW
a. Trade in Wagon R and get....

THE Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6L Titanium : Yep, you guessed it. I love the damn vehicle. I must have test driven it 6-7 times now and my heart keeps coming back to it. Not to mention the numerous review threads on this car and 350Z's epic ownership review thread that I must have spent a few cyber years reading up on! This would be a single car that I have for all purposes - city as well as the highways. I cannot emphasize how much I love the damn transmission and handling of this baby. The old-ish design doesn't bother me too much.

It's 8.73 L on road right now, and I am trying to negotiate a good deal as well as understand the waiting periods.

Pros: Money spent is under control. You've bought the car your heart wanted. It's a new one, so it will (hopefully) last you a long while. There's just 1 car to maintain.

Concerns : Can 350Z and other fiesta owners weigh in on the maintenance of this vehicle? Rumours are that this vehicle may be phased out next year, but I hope that the ASS for this won't be affected? Any other concerns about this car that I should know about ? I've hardly talked to anyone who actually owns a Classic 1.6L petrol out there, and hence the question!

Option 2: Mix it up : Heart + Head

This option includes a couple of things, trading in the incumbent, buying a pre-owned vehicle for my heart, and finally purchasing a convenient hatchback for the head!

a. Get a Ford Fiesta 1.6S (used) :Yep you heard me right. I've heard so much of this bad boy that I can't wait to test drive it. This will be purely for me, for my out-of-town drives as well as using it within town when I am alone.

b. Get an hatchback (new): This could be manual or Auto (prefer if it's auto, the missus can drive it confidently too).
options: A-star, i10, Ritz, Brio
This would be the budget buy. The key here is ease of convenience, maintenance , reliability, and usability for the larger group.

Pros : I've got a car for my heart, AND one for the head! I've proportioned out the budget accordingly, and weighted more for the head (less guilt factor)! Family can drive around easily and nobody touches the bad-boy except me!

Cons: 2 cars to maintain (can be done though). Fear of buying a used car.

Concerns:
1. Fiesta 1.6S : (i) how is the A.S.S for this? The car is out of its warranty period. (ii) Are the parts of this available fairly easily in order to maintain? (iii) What else should I be concerned with about this car? (iv) Not sure what a good deal is in the used car market. The car I know has clocked about 40K kms , 2008 model, fairly good condition. What should the pricing be around?

2. Hatchback : Never tried out an Auto-tranny much in India. Is it easy to maintain? How are small vehicles like the A-star AT?

I'd love for you good folks to weigh in on this !

Drive safe, folks!
Escape Velocity

350Z

Core Team
Re: Decision Woes: Stuck in a Moment

Yep, you guessed it. I love the damn vehicle. I must have test driven it 6-7 times now and my heart keeps coming back to it. Not to mention the numerous review threads on this car and 350Z's epic ownership review thread that I must have spent a few cyber years reading up on! This would be a single car that I have for all purposes - city as well as the highways. I cannot emphasize how much I love the damn transmission and handling of this baby. The old-ish design doesn't bother me too much.
Your requirements are similar to what I had when I was looking for a car back in 2011. Call it a co-incidence but I also considered the option of choosing a used sedan and new hatch to swap my Maruti 800 (now stolen). Get yourself a Fiesta 1.6 and it will fulfill both the demands. I’m yet to find a sedan within this much budget which is so fun to drive and convenient in cities and highways alike. You can actually maneuver Fiesta like a hatchback and park it in tight spots if needed considering the length is around four meters. Owning a Fiesta has own share of concerns though, 1.6 Duratec loves visiting fuel stations often. My car has not suffered from major niggles so far but its build quality and overall fit and finish is questionable. Plus, Fiesta is not as spacious as its competitors either (Etios, Manza, Logan etc) but for four average sized persons it is adequate.

It's 8.73 L on road right now, and I am trying to negotiate a good deal as well as understand the waiting periods. Can 350Z and other fiesta owners weigh in on the maintenance of this vehicle? Rumours are that this vehicle may be phased out next year, but I hope that the ASS for this won't be affected?
The quoted price sounds too much for a Fiesta Classic. Guess it’s tax structure in Bangalore that should be blamed. I bought SXi for 7 Lakh on-road in Delhi after bargain. Ford dealers are quite flexible in this so don’t hesitate to negotiate. I doubt if servicing or spare parts will be an issue if the car is discontinued since Classic has been one of the best selling models from Ford in India. Even the Figo shares some apparent parts with it. However, after sales service is not exceptional. You have to be attentive and struggle a bit to get the work done upto satisfaction level (the experiences might differ from workshop to workshop).

I've hardly talked to anyone who actually owns a Classic 1.6L petrol out there, and hence the question!
Please feel free to shoot the questions and I will be glad to answer them as a proud owner of Ford Fiesta.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3

350Z- thank you for taking your time to reply! I must have read your ownership thread way too often for my own good! I've also read your other threads on the lesser-known features on the fiesta! Here are my comments on your responses:

Get yourself a Fiesta 1.6 and it will fulfill both the demands. I’m yet to find a sedan within this much budget which is so fun to drive and convenient in cities and highways alike.
Glad that I am not the only one who faced this dilemma. You're totally right about this amazing vehicle. I can tell you that when I sit on the driver seat in the classic - it just FEELS right. The handling, the zippiness. I just can't put my finger on what it is, but it's a combination of it all. I drove the new T-jet too , took it for a long test drive. Now that is a beast of a vehicle, incredible power and handling. But I don't know what it is. Perhaps, it is the humble yet the underdog nature of the classic that still made me think of it (not to mention the budget too :-) ).

The additional consideration here is the extended family (read the missus). I know for a fact that she would be much more comfy driving an AT hatchback. Thus , something like the A-star AT , known for it's convenience and mileage , was an option.

The quoted price sounds too much for a Fiesta Classic. Guess it’s tax structure in Bangalore that should be blamed.
Correct again. It is pretty high out here unfortunately. I'm all game for bargaining with the Ford dealers. Unfortunately, they seem a little unresponsive at the moment due to the mad rush for the Ecosport! I just need to "up" the ante , so to speak.

I doubt if servicing or spare parts will be an issue if the car is discontinued since Classic has been one of the best selling models from Ford in India. Even the Figo shares some apparent parts with it. However, after sales service is not exceptional. You have to be attentive and struggle a bit to get the work done upto satisfaction level (the experiences might differ from workshop to workshop).
A.S.S worries me, but I guess there's no use fretting about when it is the reality of the situation. Like you said, we need to invest the time to ensure that the vehicle is taken good care of.

I do have some questions:

1. Just curious , why did you not take the option of the used + new hatch ? Did you not find the car you wanted in the used-car market?

2. As you can see , I am perhaps leaning a little more towards that option , simply because it also gives the family an additional option while keeping things within the original budget. Would you , or anyone else reading this , have some knowledge on how to evaluate a used car ? I am really not sure how the pricing works, so please don't mind me for asking this.

Thread Starter #4
Edit: Ford fiesta 1.6S (used) + an AT hatchback (new)

Hey peeps!

Logic be damned.....! I am leaning towards purchasing a used Fiesta 1.6S which will be my highway drive + an AT Hatchback , which will be for city runs and for the Missus to use!

1. Anyone who owns a 1.6S out here who can help me out in terms of what to look for when evaluating the used car , and other things I ought to know about it in terms of maintenance and servicing? I'd really appreciate it!

2. On the AT hatch , I am leaning towards the A-Star. The reason is simple - budget + mileage. I read that the A-star trumps the i10 Auto in terms of mileage while being cheaper. Space is not a requirement because there will be at the most 2 or 3 of us in the car. I am 5'-11" but the driving position seemed ok. With the drivers' seat adjusted to my comfort level, I sat in the rear seat and was pleasantly surprised with the moderate amount of leg space I had (better than my Wagon-R)!. On top of it, the on-road price of A-star compares very favourably to its closest competitor by almost Rs 80K!

Any AT A-star owners out there who can contribute to this thread and let me know how the car has been faring for them in terms of mileage, servicing, comfort etc?

Cheers!
EV

A few points to share and suggestions to make:
1) Fiesta Classic 1.6S is a dam good car. However if you have concerns on discontinuation in the future, get one of their maintenance plans (3/4/5 years) and you will not have to worry on servicing.
2) With all attention on the Ecosport, wonder anyone is talking on the other cars at the Ford dealership. This means two things. One, give it some time to make the decision. Wait for more discounts. Two, the cars the dealer have at stock yard will take time to sell. More reason for them to be aggressive. Always let the SA get back to you. It may take 1-2 weeks but they will specially before the month end.
3) Tax structure might be the reason, but in Kolkata at 8.5 lakh you would get diesel (probably ZX), well heck if you are lucky you may even get the New Fiesta at Rs.50K more.

From what I understand from your post, you are looking for a driver's car and hence will not bore with the other choices (Etios, Logan, dZire etc) -- but have a look at the Linea T-Jet (new or used). If used, get the suspension upgraded at FASS.

Thread Starter #6

Thanks for your inputs chayan!

1. I agree with you. The Classic 1.6 is a great car. However, I am leaning towards buying a used Fiesta 1.6S (the older version- Sport version with spoilers , different ECU mapping than the current classic if you remember)!

2. Agree with you on the dealer strategy. This was exactly what I was doing when I was thinking of buying a new classic .The dealer never got back to me for more than 2 weeks though! :-). Anyway, water under the bridge!

3. You're right about the tax structure! OTR costs in bangalore are just astronomically high.

The linea T-Jet is a gem. I've been on the look-out for a used one for quite some time, but just haven't gotten anything yet. The new linea T-jet here in bangalore costs about 10.93L, which is beyond my budget! This is why I am going for the used Ford Fiesta 1.6S!

Thanks again chayan! What car do you drive by the way? Any ownership reviews?

Regards,
EV

350Z

Core Team

1. Just curious , why did you not take the option of the used + new hatch ?
My heart wasn’t willing to sell off the Maruti 800 inspite of trying to convince myself. Though fate had planned something else. The car was stolen shortly after a few months.

Did you not find the car you wanted in the used-car market?
Yes, that’s another factor even though I was prepared to buy a used sedan alone. My pick was Mitsubishi Cedia but it’s damn tough to find one that too in acceptable condition.

Would you , or anyone else reading this , have some knowledge on how to evaluate a used car ? I am really not sure how the pricing works, so please don't mind me for asking this.
Used car evaluation more or less depends on real condition of the car and its past service record. Don’t simply be deceived by the looks because dealers or even individuals spruce up the vehicle on last moment to make it appear as good as new and fetch better margins. Take a look deep inside, drive the car and be vigilant for any kind of unusual behavior. On the interiors, remove the carpets and seat covers to find out the real story. Similarly, exteriors must be carefully inspected to assure that car has never met a major accident. If there are evidences of repaint, repairs, kaput or dull headlamps, it easily makes a reason good enough to negotiate further. Ask for past and recent service record (it’ll provide a rough idea if the odometer reading is genuine or not) and don’t mind calling the workshops to verify the same. Most of them maintain a long-term database of the cars they’ve serviced. These are only a few pointers. You’ll find more in our exhaustive guide here: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks for your inputs chayan!

1. I agree with you. The Classic 1.6 is a great car. However, I am leaning towards buying a used Fiesta 1.6S (the older version- Sport version with spoilers , different ECU mapping than the current classic if you remember)!

2. Agree with you on the dealer strategy. This was exactly what I was doing when I was thinking of buying a new classic .The dealer never got back to me for more than 2 weeks though! :-). Anyway, water under the bridge!

3. You're right about the tax structure! OTR costs in bangalore are just astronomically high.

The linea T-Jet is a gem. I've been on the look-out for a used one for quite some time, but just haven't gotten anything yet. The new linea T-jet here in bangalore costs about 10.93L, which is beyond my budget! This is why I am going for the used Ford Fiesta 1.6S!

Thanks again chayan! What car do you drive by the way? Any ownership reviews?

Regards,
EV
Hi EV, have two cars currently - Honda Jazz and the Ford Figo.

The Figo ownership and buying threads below:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s-home-delivery-initial-ownership-review.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...rk-search-ends-bought-figo-ford-titanium.html

No thread for the Jazz, was bought before I joined TAI. But you can ask me anything related to it (consider myself an expert on it by now [embarass]).

Friends - Triggering this thread again with Fiesta 1.6S.

What are the list of service need to carry for 70K run 1.6S...
Please confirm. Its from my friend ready to sell.
It has some screeching sound from steering rack and few suspension sounds. Probably needs suspension overall. Clutch/Battery are stock.

Friends - Triggering this thread again with Fiesta 1.6S.
EV
Hi guys, I am actually in the market for a used Fiesta 1.6S. Not in a dire need actually but upon realizing that such a car doesn't and won't exist in the future, thought of trying my luck.
Since I am new on the forum I don't have the option to message you. Can we connect maybe on mail or phone?

Please feel free to shoot the questions and I will be glad to answer them as a proud owner of Ford Fiesta.
Hi 350Z, request you to look at my post above and it would great if we can connect.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Hi 350Z, request you to look at my post above and it would great if we can connect.
Hi. Welcome aboard! Please let us know what exactly you’re looking to know about Fiesta and we'll help out. I’d prefer to keep discussion in the forum itself so that other readers may benefit or pitch in their opinions.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom