Dash Cam: Queries & Discussions

This question is to all of you who own a dash cam.

1 - Do you keep your dashboard mounted all the time or take it out every time you leave the car
2 - If left mounted, can dashcam tolerate enough Indian summer heat and the temperatures in a parked car in open space.

Hello guys.
I need help regarding purchasing a new laptop and a HD dash camera which could be used in car as well as bike for recording.
I tried finding a previous thread but couldnt,if one already exists please merge my thread.
I would like to purchase them from abroad and bring them back with me ,hence need to decide in next one week.
Any websites or other recommended sources for purchase are appreciated.

HD dash cam:
Will be used on helmet or bike mostly and occasionally in car. [Waterproof ehh ! !]
Should be able to record while charging.
Wifi appreciated but not mandatory.
Camera should be able to capture number plates of vehicles [;)] HD.
2hrs of recording time?
Budget: Max $100 [can unwillingly extend till $150 or so if required.]
Shortlisted: A few shortlisted are SJ 4000,F24 Action Camera and F33 MINI WIFI Action Camcorder.
If anyone has any other suggestions please advice so.

Regards
Midknight

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Buying a Dashboard Camera – Advice & Discussions

I have also been wondering about how to mount a front facing video camera/recorder. The reason why I need this is, as an engineer in the Public Works Department, I am currently maintaining 140 Kms of District & Village Roads. These roads can be seriously damaged especially due to heavy monsoons and I constantly have to perform condition survey of these roads to identify the locations of damaged pavement that need to be repaired.

Now, to constantly monitor 140 Kms of road by writing notes at every location and snapping photos is very tedious and time consuming. So, it would be very convenient if I could just mount a video camera and record the whole stretch of the road as I travel along it. Moreover, it would be possible to closely study the recorded video at a later time and could even be compared with other videos recorded at different times.

I am thinking of utilizing my mobile phone or tablet as a video recorder by using a mount which in turn could be attached to the windshield or dashboard with suction cups. If this could work it would require only a small amount of money as the mounts are quite cheap.

However, I have doubts that the suction cups may not stick firmly to the windshield on bumpy roads. If you've used these type of mobile mounts I would be very grateful for your advice and your experience with it.

PS: Some of the photos are included as an afterthought solely for your viewing pleasure. Thanks [:)]

Attachments

Last edited:

GoPro wearable cameras are the best for your need - you can mount it on your helmet (motor bike or bicycle/bike), sky diving, under water, or anything else [:)]. They are both wearable and mountable. Available in India too, but seems quite expensive. Not cheap in US either.

GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera

GoPro wearable cameras are the best for your need - you can mount it on your helmet (motor bike or bicycle/bike), sky diving, under water, or anything else [:)]. They are both wearable and mountable. Available in India too, but seems quite expensive. Not cheap in US either.

GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera
Thanks. I just took a look at the website and like you said, these cameras & accessories are quite expensive. But I think they are top-grade professional equipment and I definitely would like to own them when I have more money.

At present, I have to consider something low cost and I found one at naaptol which the website describes as 'Portable 2.5 Inches LCD HD 720p 6 IR Led Nightvision Car Dvr with Hdmi Support - Black' priced at Rs.1999. I was unable to find any information about who the manufacturer is, but I placed an order anyway.

Considering the price, I think it comes with a surprisingly large number of features. I hope they all work. Here, take a look.

Attachments

Even i was thinking of getting a dashboard camera for Brio.

I already have a GPS mounted on the windscreen. So, looking for something to be mounted on dashboard, which doesnt hinder the visible area.

Will keep posted if i come across some product.

Meanwhile, keep this thread running.

I have been using the video recorder that I mentioned in #35 for around 20 days now and would like to share some of my experiences with you. Considering the low cost of the camera, I am quite pleased with it; I think I'm getting my money's worth.

When I unboxed the camera I was stunned to discover that the default language for the menu was 'Chinese' [surprise] Luckily, I somehow managed to change the language to English by blindly playing with the buttons. Should anyone encounter this problem, here is how to set the language to English- press 'MENU' two times; then press 'DOWN' three times; then press the 'record' button and the language should change to English [the record button functions as an 'ENTER' button while navigating the menu].

The camera does not have an HDMI port, but it comes with a rechargeable battery, very long power cord and a surprisingly sturdy mount with suction cup.

Here is a short video clip that I made for demonstration. The video is displaying the year 2013 because I forgot to set the time and date, so please forgive me [embarass]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2fKDhCkxvE

You can see that the camera is very stable in spite of the rough terrain, thanks to sturdy mount.

The camera supports MMC upto 32 GB which has to bought separately as it is not included with the camera. I bought a 16 GB MMC which allows me to record 9 hours of continuous VGA (640x480) video. Recording in higher resolutions is also possible if one wishes but will obviously eat up more space in the storage. Loop recording of 2, 10 and 15 minutes duration is also possible and still pictures of different resolutions can also be taken. See the specs shown in #35.

The night vision feature is ineffective but I don't mind this since I use the camera for road inspection during daylight only. If you require night vision this camera is useless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-uGmhkOUzI

The camera also supports low quality audio recording which can be disabled to make more storage space for video recording.

One feature that I particularly like is the ability to stamp time and date on the video. This function is of utmost importance if one intends to archive the videos.

The recorded images and videos can be viewed on the 2.5" LCD screen. There also is an AV-OUT output jack but I have not tested this yet.

This car dash camera is a rudimentary low cost equipment but it serves my purpose well enough.

Attachments

Re: Dashboard Camera - Where in Delhi?

Guys, I came across an Android App called Dailyroads Voyager, which transforms your Android mobile into a dash cam. It overlays it with GPS information like speed, elevation and Lat/Long. It is pretty customisable in terms of recording quality (hence size), frame rates etc.
Excellent information. Now I need to search proper mount for my Samsung smart phone [:)]. This will help me get rid of bulky dash cam with screen from my windscreen (I think phone will be less bulky) & photos at regular intervals might help for creating travelogues.
But whether lens of mobile phone is 170 degree wide as like commercially available dash cams? Picture & video quality with shaky roads remain to be checked (may be hunt for smartphone camera with OIS).

Last edited:

I have been looking for a long time to get a suitable dashcam for my Pegasus Jr.
And after prolonged hours of research I finally shortlisted these 3 models with
High recommendations as Superb Budget Dashcams.

Amazon.com : Mobius Action Camera 1080P HD Mini Sports Cam - Wide Angle Edition : Sports And Action Video Cameras : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : A118 Full HD 1080P H.264 | Ships from USA | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder | Authentic NT96650 + AR0330 : Electronics

Amazon.com: E-PRANCE® New Ambarella A7 FHD 1296P A95A Car DVR Camera + Car Plate Stamp + GPS Logger + Wide 170 Degree Lens + G-Sensor + H.264 + Lane Departure Warning System + AV Out + 32GB Memory Card: Automotive

Dashcams are supposed to be Small and Rarely Visible not to attract any undue attention, yet fulfill the purpose with
Crisp, HD Wide angle Recording.
So Cellphones, Hero, Go-Pro or SJCams does not quite serve the purpose.
I had ordered one SJ4000 WIFI from aliexpress but cancelled at final moments realizing this practical fact.[;)]

I found this Video to be Very Helpful (All due credits to the Uploader)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0Tm9FFpKM&index=1&list=PLFB79814F24001328

Detailed review of the shortlisted Dashcams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M&list=PLFB79814F24001328

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eDXKLNLys

HOPE IT HELPS[roll]

Last edited:

If you are still looking for car dash camera then you may want to check camness.com for various quality cameras.

I use one in my car and have been able to collect quite a few instances of crazy driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ2fHGbu7cg

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anubhav

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

If you are still looking for car dash camera then you may want to check camness.com for various quality cameras.

I use one in my car and have been able to collect quite a few instances of crazy driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ2fHGbu7cg

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anubhav
Camera quality looks good [thumbsup] which model are you using ? And any negative thing that you would like to report ?

I use Papago P2pro and have also used Lukas Cuty 7500. The picture quality of both is excellent. P2 has a screen and is bigger in size while 7500 has no screen but is much smaller.

So I would say depends on your personal preference on which one you choose.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
Anubhav

This question is to all of you who own a dash cam.

1 - Do you keep your dashboard mounted all the time or take it out every time you leave the car
2 - If left mounted, can dashcam tolerate enough Indian summer heat and the temperatures in a parked car in open space.
I have been using Papago Pro2 and Lukas Cuty 7500 for almost 2 years in Delhi. I leave them mounted in the car and have had no problem at all even in the summer heat (I park my car in open). Both are recommended to work at temperatures as high as 70oC and will cut off if temperatures go higher (without any physical damage). I have not measured the temperature but have had no issue with recording etc.

Please note that these cameras use capacitors (they don't have the battery). I read in many posts that camera with batteries might pose risk in hot summer but have no proof if they work fine or explode (don't want to take the risk of one exploding in my car for now ...)

So if you want to keep the camera mounted all the time I would prefer one with capacitor (might choose a branded one with battery). I will not take the risk with Chinese models.

Hope this helps.

Anubhav

Any idea how much these capacitor models suck up from the battery?
I know battery variants are not doing well in hot conditions,especially since they sit at the top where its the hottest in the car.

I recently had a case where some one vandalized my car at my friends party when it was parked for a couple of hours,so was wondering if i should pick a cam which has battery or capacitor model or run the capacitor model in direct mode.

Top Bottom