Crash Test Ratings (Euro NCAP)

Thread Starter #1
Wanted to know if the European and Japanese cars in India have the same crash test rating as in Euro NCAP.

For example In Euro NCAP site you can search for almost all the cars and Suzuki Swift has a NCAP rating of 5Stars which is the best rating. The Swift in India does it also have the same rating ?

VW Polo 5 stars

Same goes for the others.

I think its high time the Indian Manufacturers included a crash test rating for their cars. When reading more and more about accidents it is scary.

Please share your views

HOME | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Last edited by a moderator:

AMG

Suspended
Re: Crash Test (Euro NCAP)

Wanted to know if the European and Japanese cars in India have the same crash test rating as in Euro NCAP.

For example In Euro NCAP site you can search for almost all the cars and Suzuki Swift has a NCAP rating of 5Stars which is the best rating. The Swift in India does it also have the same rating ?

VW Polo 5 stars

Same goes for the others.

I think its high time the Indian Manufacturers included a crash test rating for their cars. When reading more and more about accidents it is scary.

Please share your views

HOME | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

This rating is not applicable to India.

In europe the Swift gets 7 airbags.
We, in India, get only two.

The i20 gets ESP abroad.
In India it doesnt.

350Z

Core Team

It’s indeed very disappointing that the first place where carmakers do cost cutting is in safety features. Later they offer the same car at attractive prices and most of us, Indians, gladly accept it. Though, thankfully a bit of awareness can be observed in our market when compared to that of, say three-four years ago.

Drive Safe,
350Z

It is indeed unfortunate. If we get a non ABS and Airbags variant at a price significantly lesser we gladly buy it and get happy about the fact that we saved money.

It’s indeed very disappointing that the first place where carmakers do cost cutting is in safety features. Later they offer the same car at attractive prices and most of us, Indians, gladly accept it. Though, thankfully a bit of awareness can be observed in our market when compared to that of, say three-four years ago.

Drive Safe,
350Z

+1 to your statement. Nowadays more people are looking to get the variant with airbags and ABS , many people feel having these features can save you from any accident but atleast something is better than nothing. I myself regret the decision of buying a base model without absolutely any features now!

Still i would like to see some rule stating dual airbags and ABS are compulsory for all cars atleast above 3Lakhs if not all.

The EuroNacp is inferior to NHTSA of USA whose tests are the most stringent which will even include a roll over tests in coming years.

Now coming to why safety features is given a secondary status in our country.One factor is manufacturing dynamics which is as complex as solving a differential calclus in an entrance exam with stakes even higher.

For example, the ORVM for left side is not provided in Basic trim Alto though it costs few hundred rupees as an aftermarket fitment.But for MSIL it costs lakhs as it as to buy in bulk - so company rationalises and decides to make slightly more profit in basic alto by cutting this feature and also earns more by providing it as a standard feature higher spec trim.If it doesn't do it would be difficult for company to pay for future products and warranty claims.

Another factor is market conditions.for example in Europe A/C is is an option even in some top end trims of certain cars at expense of safety feature which is also half heartedly done.Do you know you pay extra for curtain air bags in Polo in Europe even though it recieves 5 star but i20 provides them standard at a similar price band.

When it comes to India how many of us will buy car in current condition without A/C but standard airbags and ABS and pay extra for A/C- I say none of us will buy ( exceptions do remain)

Lastly do note EuroNcap is a composite index and you should read fine print like occupant protection for adult and childrem not just star rating.

Thread Starter #8
Thats true no body in India will buy a car without an aircon. Similarly no body In europe would want a car without airbag and ABS.
And now a days people are aware of safety and as 350z said people are getting aware so are the Manufacturers. Good example is the new ford fiesta. ABS and airbags standard across variants. But still about this safety issues its not reached the Mass. Only when people know the reason behind it they will think twice of getting a car without any safety equipments.

Coming back to my original question cars in Europe get more airbags and esp, But I want to know the about the Base car the Chassis . The material , the construction.
Do the cars here have the same impact zones and crumple zones as else where. The outer looks are the same but only when you strip all the panels you see the real car.

For polo adult occupant 90%
child occupant 86%
pedestrian 41%
Safety assist 71%
and so Overall 5 stars.

I came across a crash testing agency like Euro NCAP but from America called IIHS(Insurance Institute for Highway safety). When I went through their website to check some known cars like Fiesta, S60, 3 series, A4, Jetta, etc...If I'm not wrong all these cars have got 5 stars in Euro NCAP. But most of these cars performed poorly in IIHS' small overlap front test. The only car that did reasonably well is the Volvo S60, germans like 3 and A4 were badly damage in this small overlap front test.

This got me thinking that Euro NCAP test, has been around for a while that manufacturers started finding easy ways to pass the test like beefing up only the impact areas of the NCAP test but couldn't withstand any other scenario.

Site link: IIHS-HLDI: Crash Testing & Highway Safety
I'm attaching 3 series small front overlap test photo to show how badly it performed.

Attachments

Last edited:
Marutis with the small overlap will get eaten COMPLETELY Sir.Everybody will suffer serious in the car (Atlease the front Passengers).The Matiz passed all those crash test.WE HAD SMALL OVERLAP CRASH TEST in US and it ai't new.First done on a 93'VW Bug.Passed it.It ain't new.Ofcourse small overlap was conducted on the 1999 Matiz.Thank you

Marutis with the small overlap will get eaten COMPLETELY Sir.Everybody will suffer serious in the car (Atlease the front Passengers).The Matiz passed all those crash test.WE HAD SMALL OVERLAP CRASH TEST in US and it ai't new.First done on a 93'VW Bug.Passed it.It ain't new.Ofcourse small overlap was conducted on the 1999 Matiz.Thank you
Can you share the link about Matiz test results?

Sure Mr.Boss !! The Matiz scored 4 Stars and 19 Points on 20 in Both side and Frontal Crash test.Of course for the RHD Version.It missed a star because in Indian Version,There was no airbags and the Impact somehow managed to come from the front to the Roof.But Experts said that Without Airbags,There is a risk to the head and the Chest.But You all know,Matiz's Steering is 3 Way Collapsable,so in an Impact The Steering Collapses which inturn Protects the Vitim from Further Injuries.It not at all safer than Airbags but it is surely a cost cutting and an Effective Move.It scored very good in the Side Crash test too.Thank you

Euro NCAP | Daewoo Matiz | 2000 | Crash test - YouTube

Top Bottom