Correct Usage of Clutch While Braking?

@ Figoian Ha ha! I don't do that having FE in my mind but i am kinda used to that driving style.

@ drivetech4 Thanks for the detailed explanation bro , cleared many things in my mind. But still one question " When i brake gradually approaching a toll booth its going to a complete gradual braking till i get near to the vehicle or speed breaker. Not a sudden brake to stop the vehicle as soon as i get near the speed breaker when am doing around 60-70kmph , so what happens in this case? And also if i am causing more wear to the brake in this method then if i follow the method suggested by you then wont i be wearing more of the clutch instead?

BTW my car's front disk pads lasted 53k KMS by following this driving style , i changed it only recently. Is 53k KMS less for a brake pad?[confused]

BTW my car's front disk pads lasted 53k KMS by following this driving style , i changed it only recently. Is 53k KMS less for a brake pad?[confused]
Dhaya you have managed to save that brake pad for so long.
The brake pads needs to be changed for 30,000 kms in my Scorpio.
But even mine is doing 33,000 kms and still doing good.

Thread Starter #34
This thread has been very informative for me. Thanks and please keep posting your experiences & ideas.
I used to push clutch whenever i slow down and made it a habit. I am trying to practice it in correct way.
May be due to that, I had to replace the clutch assembly of my Alto around 45k kms. But brakes are still good even at 65k kms and never need any replacemnt till now.

It seems like everyone ran away from this thread, looking at above lengthy reply!
At least @autosafari should have acknowledged that.
Oops!!! I missed your reply somehow. Not because it was long but did not see that[sleep]

Thanks for a detailed explanation [thumbsup]

Its a bad driving habit in me that I tend apply clutch before brake (always) and some times end up in only applying clutch since the need to apply brake do not arise - Whether its bad patch of road or passing through crowded places where people are on the road and cross randomly. I know its wrong and trying to correct it from now on.

When there are other passengers the car, I would keep the engine on (idling) and AC ON so that they are comfortable. This happens in ATMs or when we want to buy something from roadside shops etc. I am interested to hear your comments

@ Figoian Ha ha! I don't do that having FE in my mind but i am kinda used to that driving style.

@ drivetech4 Thanks for the detailed explanation bro , cleared many things in my mind. But still one question " When i brake gradually approaching a toll booth its going to a complete gradual braking till i get near to the vehicle or speed breaker. Not a sudden brake to stop the vehicle as soon as i get near the speed breaker when am doing around 60-70kmph , so what happens in this case? And also if i am causing more wear to the brake in this method then if i follow the method suggested by you then wont i be wearing more of the clutch instead?

Hi cooldhaya ! Some things you only get to learn by experience.I know you have a huge driving experience, and you have got that skill. Gradually stopping the vehicle over a long distance will not do any harm, as you apply breaks slowly.
Brake pads will wear rapidly only if you apply sudden brakes and the heat generated eats away the friction capacity of the pad.

This is all about driving experience and most important is your familiarity with the road you are driving, if you know every pothole on that road you can manage riding in neutral and applying breaks slowly, in some case you hardly need to apply breaks, as you know how much distance you are traveling, where is the turn where is the slope etc, etc.

My explanation above was General, so that people doesn't get into the habit of riding in neutral.Ideally it doesn't give you more FE but it saves you from downshifting.(To be honest it gives good feeling for the driver, he can take his foot off from Clutch and Accelerator for a while- I do it at the regular toll post [;)] But it is limited to that only!)

Riding in neutral is risking your life too, you will never know when the engine gets off in neutral, in case of power brakes you will not be able to apply brakes.
Strictly Avoid riding in neutral & Avoid riding clutch as well -on steep slopes,Ghat sections, always downshift to reduce speed on slopes. It is also mentioned in the all car manuals.

BTW
BTW my car's front disk pads lasted 53k KMS by following this driving style , i changed it only recently. Is 53k KMS less for a brake pad?
Your cars brake pad lasted for sufficient life, It is because you have learned that art! [thumbsup]

Oops!!! I missed your reply somehow. Not because it was long but did not see that[sleep]

Thanks for a detailed explanation [thumbsup]

Its a bad driving habit in me that I tend apply clutch before brake (always) and some times end up in only applying clutch since the need to apply brake do not arise - Whether its bad patch of road or passing through crowded places where people are on the road and cross randomly. I know its wrong and trying to correct it from now on.

When there are other passengers the car, I would keep the engine on (idling) and AC ON so that they are comfortable. This happens in ATMs or when we want to buy something from roadside shops etc. I am interested to hear your comments
Hi autosafari ! better late than never.

Well it happens, many people do the same, most of the guys think that the engine will stall when they apply brake, without applying Clutch.
Which is not the fact.

This is all depends upon the speed of the vehicle, the gear you are riding in, and the distance to stop.

Lets Consider & try this out by your own
On a highway drive When riding in 4th, 5th gear, with speed in the range of 90-100 km you can apply brakes gradually, without even touching the clutch, the speed will come down slowly, and engine will work as normal, Beyond certain point you will feel resistance from the engine, in that case apply Clutch and downshift.
Many a times you get away with only applying brake for short period and then you can resume in the same gear.[thumbsup]

Riding in City traffic- in Bumper to bumper traffic, yes I agree you need to press clutch Often, but still you can reduce the frequency. Try out these things-
Maintain sufficient distance with the vehicle ahead of you.(Let the vehicle behind you CRY, let him keep honking- for that 3-4 feet distance he wants you to move)
Never accelerate in b2b traffic, just put the car in first gear , release the clutch slowly, the car will move without accelerating.Then you can accelerate slowly as per the need.
First apply brake, and if required then clutch.

Another Reason most of the guys use Clutch more than brake to control speed,

We use the same foot for accelerator and Clutch. Remember your initial days of driving, the time when you was learning the driving.
At that point of time, you must have used clutch and accelerator more, since you must be under impression that the engine will go off if i remove my foot of accelerator, which is not the case.That habit remains with you!

And some people are lazy, they don't want to do exercise with the right foot, and they use the clutch to control speed.[lol]

I usually do high speed highway drives so its common for me to slow down from around 120 to about 20 kmph usually at speed breakers
the common practice is for example in 5th gear immediately down-shift under braking to 3rd & introduce half clutch that way I slow down well without the engine screaming murder while partially looking at the rear mirror at the same time switch the hazard lights to warn motorists behind me.
End of the day do not think too much of wear of your clutch or brake pads cos you blow so much money on fuel & the amount of money you loose when you sell your car.Drive according to your instincts cos gearing & brakes vary from car to car

I fall sleep two times while reading long reply :-P
but turning off engine is not good idea if other people are setting in car what's use of saving that money if your family don't feel comfortable in car if alone then its OK I do this lot of time switching off engine .
I have kept my others cars idle for 5-40min. till today nothing happened to engine

In UAE, we are thought to bring a car to stand still from high speed without touching the brakes. This is a part of training to cope up with brake failures. Believe me, it is not a pleasant experience either for the driver or the passengers, or the car, but saves life. Say, you are going at 140 in the 5th gear, take your leg off from the accelerator , you press the clutch engage the 4th gear and release the clutch, which will result in a jerk and have a braking effect. Repeat process in quick succession till you reach the 1st gear. You will notice that the car still manage to move very slowly in first gear. Then you shift to the 3rd or 4th when the engine will stall and your car would have stopped. This is purely an emergency procedure in extreme condition, God forbid, when your brakes fail while driving in high speed.

Me, I usually ease off the accelerator, apply slight brake if necessary, and continue till I reach a speed 40 and then fully disengage the clutch move on depending upon the situation and change the gear corresponding to the speed in which I am to take off.

My logic is below the speed of 40, you don't need any engine braking to back your normal brakes which now a days are real good in all modern cars.

I cant slow down below 40 in my 5th gear because the engine torque at idling speed just keep the car moving at that speed. If I down shift to 4th I will have to release the clutch slowly to avoid any jerk. This again wears the clutch.

So I just remain in my 5th, disengage the clutch fully and brake or coast till I come to a stop or change to the appropriate gear and move on if traffic permits. This way I don't strain the engine or the clutch, as the clutch is used only for on gear change.

Last edited:
In UAE, we are thought to bring a car to stand still from high speed without touching the brakes. This is a part of training to cope up with brake failures. Believe me, it is not a pleasant experience either for the driver or the passengers, or the car, but saves life. Say, you are going at 140 in the 5th gear, take your leg off from the accelerator , you press the clutch engage the 4th gear and release the clutch, which will result in a jerk and have a braking effect. Repeat process in quick succession till you reach the 1st gear. You will notice that the car still manage to move very slowly in first gear. Then you shift to the 3rd or 4th when the engine will stall and your car would have stopped.
Very correctly presented buddy.

Let me add another way that can be a life saver. Suppose we are cruising at triple digit speeds and need to stop immediately, so, going the down-shifting way would need lots of time. In such circumstances engage the reverse gear and take foot off the clutch without giving any accelerator input. There would be a massive jerk and a thud and your car would stop almost immediately. Now, DO NOT TRY THIS for the sake of testing it as this is almost certain to break the gearbox (the thud, remember). Shifting to reverse while moving forward would require quite an effort but can be done due to the modern syncro-mesh designs of the gearbox. This method would kill your car's gearbox but would definitely be worth in a life-or-death situation.

freakdude.

Shifting to reverse at 140? I can't comment on that.... I wouldn't do that in any emergency.

What if the drive shaft in the gear box break and disconnect the engine from the drive?? Then there is absolutely no way to control the car.

Down shifting - you have plenty of options depending upon the situation - 5th to 3rd - 3rd to 1st etc. and is safer for the engine also. And the hand brake...

Very correctly presented buddy.

Let me add another way that can be a life saver. Suppose we are cruising at triple digit speeds and need to stop immediately, so, going the down-shifting way would need lots of time. In such circumstances engage the reverse gear and take foot off the clutch without giving any accelerator input. There would be a massive jerk and a thud and your car would stop almost immediately. Now, DO NOT TRY THIS for the sake of testing it as this is almost certain to break the gearbox (the thud, remember). Shifting to reverse while moving forward would require quite an effort but can be done due to the modern syncro-mesh designs of the gearbox. This method would kill your car's gearbox but would definitely be worth in a life-or-death situation.

freakdude.
i wouldn't suggest that at all . what ranger said is more pratical way to stop . i was also thought same way by my uncle in early driving [:)]

If I have to stop the vehicle in a slop (climb) and then move, normally what I do is to keep the clutch in half position and then release brakes slowly so that the vehicle start moving forward without even an inch of backward movement.

Is there any issue with this practice?

Frankly, I don't know. If your right foot is on the brake and you have engaged the clutch halfway, won't it stall the engine? or wear out the clutch?

On many occasions, in my office parking lot, I had to stop my car halfway on the ramp because of the car in front of me stops on reaching the top and the driver takes his own time to turn the car. I apply brakes and disengage the clutch. when I am free to move, I quickly release the brake, give some acceleration, simultaneously engaging the clutch. This has worked for me always.

I can also stop the car by balancing the accelerator and the clutch without touching the brake. But this is very bad for the clutch.

If it is a real nasty climb and somebody is tailgating you, a combination of hand brake, clutch and acceleration can also be used. But always be sure you are in the first gear.

Last edited:

Top Bottom