Correct Usage of Clutch While Braking?

Thread Starter #1
I had this doubt in me for quite long and till now i haven't got it correct .

I have a habit of applying clutch before aplying brake ( i dont ride on clutch).

Is this correct way of doing ? Curious to know how everyone does it.
Exclude the case of panic braking !!

A few questions related to this,

(1) If brake is applied before clutch, will the backpressure in the drivetrain affect the clutchwear ? I feel this in my Alto.

(2) Does cars come with auto clutch while braking ?

Being a novice in this field, please enlighten me.

Re: Usage of clutch while braking

hmm good question again. I would say pressing clutch will depend on the extent and amount of break applied. If it is a sudden breaking, my left foot inadvertently presses the clutch to stop the car from stalling. But if breaking is planned than I do not press the clutch and wait till I reach a speed where either I have to down-shift or come to neutral.

I am not aware of any auto-clutch functionality on breaking.
Also, I believe as long as you are not pressing the clutch while running, wear and tear should be normal.

Clutch wears more during engagement and disengagement than at braking. But during panic braking, more load is put on the clutch and it is better to disengage the clutch during panic braking.

If the need of the moment is emergency and quick stopping then brakes should be applied without pressing down the clutch. This causes ENGINE BRAKING and aids faster stopping of the vehicle, and might stall it too but the vehicle stops sooner. Even if we need to just slow down a bit, only pressing the brake pedal is an efficient way of braking.

freakdude.

U should never EVER clutch before u brake. Not even when u panic. Braing should be always be done proggesively. In the opposite way of starting off. Do u start in 1st and directly go to 5th? Then why brake depressing the clutch and go from 5th to 1st? Always brake without the clutch, downshifting appropiately.

Hey guys there is no need of pressing clutch, when you brake.
What one has to follow is downshifting the gears and gradually braking.
Only while downshifting one should press the clutch and leave so that Engine braking also comes to play.

And while braking if one presses the clutch then there will be no load on engine and vehicle moves with further speed, and the brake pads will worn out soon.

Very good thread but to be frank i never use engine braking while stopping the car. Say for example if i am approaching a toll booth or a signal which i see before hand , i just put the car to neutral and apply the brakes softly to bring the car to a smooth halt. I know this is not the correct procedure but i got used to this!

Very good thread but to be frank i never use engine braking while stopping the car. Say for example if i am approaching a toll booth or a signal which i see before hand , i just put the car to neutral and apply the brakes softly to bring the car to a smooth halt. I know this is not the correct procedure but i got used to this!
Dhaya this would be a wrong procedure, as it puts more pressure on brake pads, and they wore out soon.
What i would suggest is to downshift on equivalent speeds.
Not i am saying that you downshift from 5th - 2nd in one go.
I usually downshift from 5-4 leave clutch, then when car further slows down downshifting from 4-3 & so on.

Could someone explain the 'goodness' (effectiveness / advantages / efficiency blahblahblah what so ever it may be) of downshifting in values rather than words compared with braking with clutch disengaged?

I stand the amount of excess load in engine, transmission, axles and why not, the body too (at engine mount areas) is more than the excess load on brake pads and disc (or drum) when the brake is applied with clutch depressed.

Instead gradually applying brake without either downshift or pressing the clutch to slow down the vehicle and then pressing the clutch till the vehicle reaches stand still condition puts considerably less oad on both brake pads and the engine & transmission too.

Any objections here?

Could someone explain the 'goodness' (effectiveness / advantages / efficiency blahblahblah what so ever it may be) of downshifting in values rather than words compared with braking with clutch disengaged?

I stand the amount of excess load in engine, transmission, axles and why not, the body too (at engine mount areas) is more than the excess load on brake pads and disc (or drum) when the brake is applied with clutch depressed.

Instead gradually applying brake without either downshift or pressing the clutch to slow down the vehicle and then pressing the clutch till the vehicle reaches stand still condition puts considerably less oad on both brake pads and the engine & transmission too.

Any objections here?
Only thing that happens is all the passengers get to edge of seat, on such braking situations.

How can you gradually brake in emergency situations, when you press the brakes hard, downshifting helps a lot and vehicle will be in complete control.

Our suggestions works well in ghats ,and when vehicle is moving down.

In normal situations in highway one can use brakes as you have suggested.

other then faster clutch wear out nothing wrong i do many time specially in traffic as pressing alone brake give jerk which is not comfortable at all but procedure is that you should press brake first till when you feel engine is about to stall then press clutch and put it into neutral .
Yes Mukesh i know that its the wrong procedure but i am more comfortable doing like that , got used to it.
agree with you

Only thing that happens is all the passengers get to edge of seat, on such braking situations.
This is the case in Panic braking only. Even in such case, the occupant will not reach the edge of seat if secured with seat belt (which is the thumb rule for driving, isn't it?) If the occupant is mad enough to avoid seat belts, why not, he can even keep the doors wide open and instead of reaching the edge of seat, he could also reach the edge of road or the doors of heaven[evil]

How can you gradually brake in emergency situations
Can I ask you 'how can you downshift in emergency situation?'[confused]

when you press the brakes hard, downshifting helps a lot and vehicle will be in complete control.
When you floor your brakes, the amount of reaction force from the brakes opposing the engine through the drive shaft and transmission is more than the engine torque.

Our suggestions works well in ghats ,and when vehicle is moving down.
Good driver without any mental disorder wont drive downhills either in neutral or apply brake with clutch disengaged.

In normal situations in highway one can use brakes as you have suggested.
This is what we are discussing about. Cases of emergency braking / panic braking cannot be applied following the thumb rule, just floor both the pedals.

This is the case in Panic braking only. Even in such case, the occupant will not reach the edge of seat if secured with seat belt (which is the thumb rule for driving, isn't it?)
I am speaking about the fellows in side facing in the 3rd row, who don't have a seat belts.

Can I ask you 'how can you downshift in emergency situation?'
Simple buddy, just brake as well as quickly change gears and leave the clutch.
What some tend to do is press the clutch and brake,which will make co-passengers in back uncomfortable,as if they have been pushed to the front.

Good driver without any mental disorder [surprise] wont drive downhills either in neutral or apply brake with clutch disengaged.
One won't get a license if he has a mental disorder.

This is what we are discussing about. Cases of emergency braking / panic braking cannot be applied following the thumb rule, just floor both the pedals.
You cannot floor the brake pedal[;)]
As you can with clutch & accelerator.

Last edited:
I am speaking about the fellows in side facing in the 3rd row, who don't have a seat belts.
Then I can take example of Omni 2nd row seat facing backwards where there is no possibility for the occupants to reach the edge during braking. Be specific in the first post then.

Simple buddy, just brake as well as quickly change gears and leave the clutch.
Mere impossible in emergency situations. Have a poll and see how many vote 'yes' for downshifting during panic braking

What some tend to do is press the clutch and brake,which will make co-passengers in back uncomfortable,as if they have been pushed to the front.
To save the car and life nothing wrong in losing the occupants comfort to some extent.

One won't get a license if he has a mental disorder.
Person can go mad after getting the license, why not?

You cannot floor the brake pedal[;)]
As you can with clutch & accelerator.
Explain why
Have a look at reply in bold

Top Bottom