Coolants - Pick The Right One!

Thanks Shynish. A very important and informative thread.

I used the Maruti provided coolant in my Alto for first 4 years without a change. Next I decided to go for Motul Inugel Optimal30 coolant which was borate/silicate/phosphate free. The MASC people did not object the use of it and it lasted for 3 years until it became translucent in colour.

Next time I could not get Motul and using Delphi Green coolant now. No problems with any coolant. Never had engine heating problem whatsoever.

I never used a coolant flush although many such products are available in the market

Thread Starter #18
Nice to hear that you are taking care of the coolant and your radiator. In fact flushing is not required unless there is a heating problem or you suspect a possible clog in the supply system. But when ever you are changing the brand of the coolant, it is wise idea to replace the coolant completely. The only reason is each company will have their own chemical formula even though all these products are based on the same stuffs!

Yes, thats correct. Coolant should not be mixed.

Even the job of preparing a coolant with 50% or 33% concentration is a tough job as we do not generally get perfectly distilled water at home. Boiled water has sediments and bottled drinking water has many salts which cannot be perfectly distilled. That is the only reason I use ready coolant always.

Another info : Coolants are supposed to be highly poisonous. All coolants have this warning below the bottle. Please be careful while using it.

Help Required from Experts.

I gave my indica vista quadrjet for third service. SA told me that engine oil, coolant, brake oil all have to be changed. I agreed. When i went to take the car back, i noticed that the level of the coolant was between min. & max. of the auxillary tank (I thought that the service guys would top up to the max. level). I thought that this is normal and did not inform this to SA.
Yesterday I checked the level again and to my surprise [surprise], the level came down close to min. level. I opened the tap and I saw this black liquid. I checked in the parking area for the liquid. I thought of leakage in the tank. But NO.
Now my questions are,
1.What is the colour of the coolant? The coolant mentioned in the bill is Coolant Golden Cruiser Sunstar 1400M.
2.Did the service centre forgot to top up?
3. Why the level came to min. level so early? No long trips were taken in this period.

Experts, help me.

1.What is the colour of the coolant? The coolant mentioned in the bill is Coolant Golden Cruiser Sunstar 1400M.
Please open the coolant reservoir and check the colour of the coolant. Didn't he place the empty coolant bottle in your car after the service? Check up the colour of the coolant remaining in the bottle against the colour of the coolant in the reservoir - there would at least be a few drops of coolant remaining in the used coolant bottle.
2.Did the service centre forgot to top up?
Yes, provided he did top it up. What was the coolant level before you gave the car for service?
3. Why the level came to min. level so early? No long trips were taken in this period.
There could be multiple reasons for coolant level getting low. I just hope there's a leak somewhere in the system - get it checked immediately before it turns out to be something serious and blows your head gasket. How many kilometres has your Indica run?

Hello Sam,
Thanks for answering my questions.[:)]

1. The empty coolant bottle was not there in the car. So I could not check the colour of the coolant. But what is the colour of this Coolant Golden Cruiser Sunstar 1400M?
2. It was in the mid level of Min. & Max. But the service centre should top up to Max. level. or Am I missing something here?
3. My Vista is reaching 9000 Kms. Even if there is a leak in the system, it should be there in the parking area. But I could not find any thing below the car.

I will be visiting the service centre again for this issue. They have charged 790 rupees for this coolant. I have to get this issue sorted out very soon. Any furthur suggestions?? Please reply with you valuable thoughts.

What I wanted to say was that how come you are so sure that the coolant has been changed? Maybe they haven't bothered to replce the coolant and just chjarged you for it. If the coolant level in the car was the same after the service as it was before you gave in the car for service, there is cent percent chance that the coolant hasnt been replaced.

The Vista comes factory filled with a blue coloured coolant. Not sure if they topped up with the OEM coolant. What is the colour of the coolant right now?

Please call up the service centre and ask for an explanation. Meanwhile, please top up the coolant and observe if the level goes down again.

The colour of the coolant now is blackish. This Coolant Golden Cruiser Sunstar 1400M is OEM coolant(got this info from their website)
While taking the car back from service , I checked the level of the coolant. It was in the mid level of the auxillary tank. Now it is close to the min. level.
Yes, there is big possibility that the coolant was not replaced. They have not given the mineral oil, brake fluid bottles either.
But my main concern is about the level. When I visit TASS again, I would ask for checking any leakage in the coolant auxillary tank.
If the engine is very hot, will this cause for drastic decrease in the coolant level? (I have not seen this in the instrument panel. The temp. gauge (digital in Vista) shows one or two bars in the display)
I will update after visiting TASS.

Thanks, Sam.

Hot engine does not cause drop in coolant level in the short run. But as you are saying that the engine temperature was normal, this is a non-contention point.

Also, coolant colour cannot turn from blue/pink/red/blah to muddy in a single drive. There is a high possibility that your coolant wasn't changed. Please visit the service centre and investigate.

Check you engine oil, has it become white and does it smell like coolant.If so then the coolant has mixed with the oil.This is because the head gasket is gone or someone has mixed coolant and oil to bill you for a big job.Check the gear oil too.

Take the car back to the service center and check what they did.Ask them to flush the engine and the radiator in front of you.

Hello Sam,

Yesterday evening, i again checked the coolant. It was muddy in colour. So I will go straight to TASS and will update after the visit.

Hello Jarpickle,
Thanks for the reply[:)] If the Head gasket is gone, then I have to replace this and also the engine oil, coolant. All these were replaced only two weeks ago [anger] Why the gear oil?? What is the reason to ask for engine & radiator flushing?

Yes, if the oil and coolant have mixed then yes.If the two have mixed there there will be traces of either one in the wrong place and that will cause damage to the engine cause of presence of coolant in the combustion chamber and damage to radiator due the presence of oil.

Check if you can see oil floating in the radiator.If so get the technician to check the engine and radiator.If he says it is only the radiator, then get it flushed and cleaned so the new coolant isn't muddy.Tell them they need to pay for the new coolant because they have not changed it and not done a good job at all.Hence the recurring problems that were never there before.Give them a thorough hearing.

hi
i am in the process of buying a coolant for my ford ikon 1.6, can you guys suggest which one to go for...
thanks in advance.

Top Bottom