Coolant Quickly Reducing in Chevrolet Optra

Thread Starter #1
I had over heating issues with my car. It was identified that that car had faulty radiator and after the replacement of radiator the over heating problem vanished , but now the coolant is getting excessively getting used up. suddenly the car gets over heated and i see that there is NO COOLANT in the reservoir. everything gets used up and this happens in less than 100kms. today i put 3 liters of water after driving the car for 60 kms. my car is 2004 chevrolet optra with 1.6L petrol engine. I want to know the solution for this problem. any one please help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Coolant Problem in Chevrolet Optra

First thing you can check is weather there is any leakage in coolant tank. Check with any local mechanic further.

Thread Starter #4
But I dont see any leak when the car is stationary. Is it that the water is getting used up excessively due to lack of coolant ? I just put a litre of coolant and rest water. But any how i'll get it checked at a mechanic shop.

Some minor leak must be there , like vaporizing , minor leaks cant be found that easily , best solution is to first change hose and pipes. then radiator and then lastly the water pump . All this in step by step process.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks for your valuable replies everyone.[thumbsup] I have planned to sell the car and have received an offer of Rs 2 Lakhs for my 2004 Optra LS 1.6 petrol. The person who wants to buy my car is an individual buyer and not a dealer or broker . I think its a reasonable price for my car. Now my biggest dilemma is whether i should tell the buyer that my car has coolant problem and the engine over heats when all the coolant is finished [confused]

A true car lover Plus one who is damn straight forward will say ,
But in today's business no one respect your straight forwardness , i have experienced this. also any car buyer will spend some for maintenance and will/must know that a car for sale is definitely with a small or major problem

If you wish you are satisfied with the offer , and really want to push it , just sale!! [evil]

IF you are
Business Minded: Sell the car, maybe try for some more.
True auto enthu: Tell the guy the exact problems and what you have done to fix it, and let him figure out if it is feasible.
urgently in need of funds: Sell it to a used car dealer.

well if the issue is the only reason you are selling the car then i guess it would be worth diagnosing the issue and if it is feasible repair it.
as every one said above when it comes to business not everyone appreciates a honest person
also if you were the buyer and the seller hid this issue from you how would you feel about it

check the coolant tank and its cap and also the hoses these parts dont cost alot
a water pump is not that expensive if i remember i paid around 2-3k for a water pump for my aveo.
if its a head gasket issue you will have your look like mustard or chocolate milk shake.
you will also find your coolant bubbling up alot when the engine is on
head gaskets are expensive i spent 45k for fixing that they also machine your head and overhaul it

Thread Starter #14
i will never spend 45 K for the gasket ! and sadly i did not get time to get the car checked as well [frustration] .. I guess the problem is not head gasket because i have never seen any bubbles or anything and i also heard the if head gasket is the culprit , then the car will over heat as soon as it is started. But any ways i haven't sold the car . BUT my new white HYUNDAI VERNA crdi XO is coming next month.!! hurrey..!! [clap]

Top Bottom