Confusion - Is New i20 What I Need?

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys!

I guess its pretty tough to stumble upon the exact thread one needs, specially in my case so I decided to make one (if thats alright). So this is my first thread. Nothing special about my tastes.. I love a simple solid car, not a sedan as I dont carry anything so Im used to driving hatches only. Of course I do appreciate convenient features and a tasteful beige interior. I can only write about my personal tastes which are in no way absolute or to demean others preferences. So bear with me if Im not always politically correct.

My car is a Hyundai Getz Prime - dunno what was special in it but I was always drawn towards it.. and when I finally owned it, it was a happy day for me. I happened to be the first of those who got the upgraded interiors with beige/wood trim and driver armrest and tiltable back seats. Im not crazy about cars but I always appreciate a classy car with some old world feel. I also like decent power and good pickup+handling which the Getz has amply. The 1.36 litre unit is adequate and I dont mind a marginal decrease in fuel consumption as a result, a car afterall must have some power to drive well. The hydraulic steering + power is almost as if it was customised to my taste. This car is a great handling machine with excellent noiseless power delivery! Some people prefer EPS but everytime I touch an EPS I feel its completely devoid of car like characteristics.. almost like a toy wheel for a videogame.

Now comes the dilemma.. the new i20 - loaded with features (more than many sedans).. reminds me of that familiar Hyundai setup which I like (I have a problem of change) has armrest etc.. but the EPS is very light and completely lacks feedback, it doesnt tighten up upon higher speed either. The power is another story altogether, after a 1.3 engine the 1.2 feels very underpowered (to be accurate even a drop of 20% or 2-3 seconds slower creates that feeling) even if they have similar bhp figures, but atleast its quiet and is a 4 cylinder which is my minimum need. Also the back seats dont tilt and feel stiff. I know it sells in big numbers but somehow it just didnt feel as magical as when I felt upon driving Getz the first time. Yes I appreciate value, and somehow Im always looking for familiarity when Im holding the wheel hence I tend to tilt towards Hyundai. But I cannot seem to relate to the loosely sprung EPS of any car these days, as also the 1.2 engines that are adjusted to FE and not power. The suspension in i20 also gives a thud which I find surprising for a car slotted above Getz. I find the underbody front and side rubber strips extremely useful in India but nowadays all cars dont have it. Its almost as if they gave it all the features but took away its athletic prowess and ruggedity which is the very identity of A car.

My question is exactly what I have written as the heading. Keeping in mind my need can anyone share their opinion? Any Getz/i20 owners feeling the same way? I'd like this thread to help me and similar others who can also look into how the industry is evolving [:)]

P.s : With all due respect I have driven competitors like Polo/Fabia/Punto etc & I think I'd prefer a Hyundai over them as they lack the driver armrest (which Im used to) and have LHD controls [roll] It may seem like I want the cake and eat it too but Im open to opinions and I feel many share the same confusion over evolving cars.

Ad!tya

Suspended
tdk, welcome to TAI.

Excellent writing skills buddy! [clap]

Please give more information (budget, fuel, etc) so that we can suggest you more options available in the Indian market. Why don't you have a look at sedans, if budget allows.[:)]

Thread Starter #3
@Amit Lets say budget can be anything fit for something a hatch of that sort normally costs so Im not tied to a certain number. I find hatchbacks extremely practical for the Indian roads and since I never carry much luggage or travel intercity and live in a packed city it only further justifies the cause. I dont have FE concerns either, I believe an efficient engine is terribly compromised on power.

Hi thedarknight

IMO, the Honda Jazz is the besgt Hatchback you can buy in India as on date

Since you have not particulary mentioned the FUEL type as well, i am guessing you are comfortable with both options

Also Honda Jazz (It is called the Honda FIT here in Brazil) is a wonderful global product which sells with different names in all advance countries, so i am sure that HONDA has brought the best technology here in India with its products

Do you have a special obsession with Hyundai? If not - Then the Honda Jazz is a complete peace of mind car

Add to it the Honda reliability and the excellent IVTEC engine which sounds so fab

Also it is very frugal on mileage too. I have a few colleagues back in India who are getting an average of 15-16 regularly on their JAZZes

Hi The darknight

I am also new here, but was reading tons of posts for the past few months for finalizing my first car.
I do agree with Ankx. I booked my Jazz just yesterday (30.10.2012)
dont think that because of that I am telling you to go for jazz, I request you to take a test drive and decide.
from your post it is clear that you are not worried about budget and FE, IMO the only concern about Jazz is its price tag, but I think it is worth for the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, if the petrol doesnt bother you, then do consider Honda Jazz. The engine is smooth and refined, and far superior than i20. Take back to back test drive of both the cars, and let your brain decide.

350Z

Core Team
P.s : With all due respect I have driven competitors like Polo/Fabia/Punto etc & I think I'd prefer a Hyundai over them as they lack the driver armrest (which Im used to) and have LHD controls. It may seem like I want the cake and eat it too but Im open to opinions and I feel many share the same confusion over evolving cars.
Welcome aboard to The Automotive India, TheDarkKnight. You should indeed consider Honda Jazz. It fulfills the requirement of being a quite feature laden and fun to drive hatchback. The front armrest shouldn’t be a major reason for striking off rest of the cars because it can be easily installed as an aftermarket add-on. LHS stalk controls are also simple to get accustomed in a while unless you also drive another car on regular basis that has opposite controls.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey guys!

..Im not crazy about cars but I always appreciate a classy car with some old world feel. I also like decent power and good pickup+handling which the Getz has amply. But I cannot seem to relate to the loosely sprung EPS of any car these days, as also the 1.2 engines that are adjusted to FE and not power. The suspension in i20 also gives a thud which I find surprising for a car slotted above Getz. I'd like this thread to help me and similar others who can also look into how the industry is evolving [:)]...

P.s : With all due respect I have driven competitors like Polo/Fabia/Punto etc & I think I'd prefer a Hyundai over them as they lack the driver armrest (which Im used to) and have LHD controls [roll]
Hyundai is known to have a very light steering that goes for all the hyundai models these days. The suspension set up is also similar to in all of them as far as I know.
You are right, somehow a light steering or power steering became a great feature since few years back. I remember when showroom people used to chant POWER STEERING SIR all the time when we were planning to buy wagon R. So was the case with us friends who always thought that car with power steering is superior or any other kind of steering no matter what. Little did we know about steering response and feel of driving then.

Currently only a few cars have hydraulic steering system. FIAT punto, Ford figo, Skoda fabia (correct me if wrong) all these hatches have HPS and are known to give great steering feedback and response. The leader is Fiat (as per reviews). I, for one, won't think that EPS is a superior set-up, or HPS has any drawback. Its up to your preferences, and frankly speaking you have got nice preferences for a car. Handling, steering response, power with no restriction on FE or budget as such.

I liked your post till your post script ruined the flow.
There is nothing about the wiper controls that you can't get used to. All non-Asian cars come with such controls. I switched for maruti to VW and probably there have been only two times I have plucked the wrong control.
Arm rest? Seriously? That's too stubborn of you and btw hyundai i20 asta comes with arm rest, at least diesel one does, not sure about petrol.

Try out a few cars like I mentioned, and I am sure you will find one better suited car among the today's evolved cars.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
@ Ankx @ Gireesh @ Akash @ 350Z Thanks for your response all of you and I have read and enjoyed each of your replies. It was helpful that all of you vouched for its vtec engine which I was aware is one of the finest @ 90 bhp. However some niggling issues with build are there which I shall discuss below.

@Ankx yes I know its called Honda Fit in South/North America. But Americans haven't exactly loved this car for the build as they showed weld joints that were uneven and not sandblasted as also unevolved interiors.

The feedback I did get from a Jazz owner is that sometimes the huge glass area tends to rattle and you cant pinpoint where (one off case maybe) and also since the magic seats in the rear aren't fixed to the ground, but with a metal stand that folds back, that also causes rattling/stability issues. But I can't speak for the majority owners who are satisfied, I just gave one point of view of an owner so don't shoot the messenger [;)]

@Rightnow yes yes well said. Power steering was fine but EPS is just too springy & jumpy for my taste. Fabia too has EHPS. HPS gives you tremendous feedback, like the tug it gives to return it to straight after a turn or the slight vibration on gravel roads, overall its much more composed and driver centric. Companies all over just changed to EPS due to 2-3% less load on engine which is insignificant and the fuel saving as a result will be a fraction of a percent. Technically they tried to copy a BMW, but BMW made EPS with differential weight system backed by a processing unit that tightens the steering to hydraulic levels at normal speed. The big "EPS" claim in affordable cars is nothing but half baked technology.

I've considered all the opinions in this page and shall keep everyone posted.

Top Bottom